iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help identifying a tree, northeastern Illinois

Started by Murky, September 03, 2016, 11:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murky

I just moved this summer and this tree is in my front yard. I'm really curious what it is, but I haven't had any success trying to find it in my tree books or elsewhere online. I really love the shape of the tree and the way its trunks are branched out. And now that these pods started appearing the last few weeks, I'm also curious how much of a messy cleanup I'm going to have this fall  :D. I've only been here since June, so if it flowered, it was before I was here to see it so I have no idea about any flowers.

The tree is about 25' tall and wider than it is tall, in the Chicago area.

Leaves are up to 6" long, up to 3" wide, and usually a bit wider towards the top, alternating on the stem. They feel somewhat leathery and like they have a very fine hairy feel to the top of the leaf. There is no milky or white substance from the leaves at all if you break one.

The fruit or nuts or whatevers are fuzzy and form singly, not in clusters, not sticky at all. On older branches though they can sprout at every leaf joint.

Thanks for any help.

Murky

This morning I opened my bedroom drapes to see this:

So I'm pretty certain it's some type of pink/white flowered magnolia tree, which I'm absolutely thrilled about.  Hopefully this bud will open this fall and I can get some good pics of the flower to help ID which magnolia.

Ianab

Sure looks like a Magnolia of some sort, but exactly what species has me beat.  ???
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Murky

Thanks.  I had found this one, Rustica Rubra Magnolia, even the bark is the same.  And when I search for your terms, I end up with a lot of various saucer and tulip magnolias.  I take it there are many cultivars or varieties of Japanese Magnolias?

WDH

Not sure how many varieties there are of japanese magnolia, but that is what you have.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!