iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skeleton Rock Bucket

Started by 62oliver, September 03, 2016, 09:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

62oliver

Hi,
   I've been looking at getting a "skeleton rock bucket" of some kind to handle firewood with my skid
steer.  It would be for picking firewood up off of the ground, I may make a gravel pad to work on.
I would like opinions on tine spacing from you guys that use them, I'm kind of hearing that they should be under 3" apart but would like to see what others' experience with these buckets have been.
I have this grapple bucket and it is great at a lot of things, but fire wood is not one of them.

http://www.erskineattachments.com/attachments/skidsteer/industrial-tine-grapple/

I would be looking for just a bucket (not a grapple) because I spent enough on the other one :-\ :-\
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

brianJ

I use a rock bucket and that works well for me.   I dont understand why a grapple bucket would be much different.

62oliver

The one I have, the tines are too far apart and too short.
What is the spacing on yours?

47sawdust

This is what I use.Not a true skeleton bucket,but I have found it handy for screening bony gravel and smoothing fresh dirt.
It is very well made.I couldn't be happier.

Stinger Attachments U.S. made in Minnesota.Will ship directly to you.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

North River Energy

I've an MDS with round tines. Tines are 1.25", with 2.5" gap. Works well on the larger blocks, but sometimes a smaller piece will get jammed in there. I think it would work better with slightly smaller tines and 2" gap.
Have not done a comparative test, but suspect the round tine configuration will plow less dirt than the plate stock teeth.
Either way, totally worth it if you have a lot to move out of a stockpile.

62oliver

Quote from: North River Energy on September 04, 2016, 05:07:55 PM
I've an MDS with round tines. Tines are 1.25", with 2.5" gap. Works well on the larger blocks, but sometimes a smaller piece will get jammed in there. I think it would work better with slightly smaller tines and 2" gap.
Have not done a comparative test, but suspect the round tine configuration will plow less dirt than the plate stock teeth.
Either way, totally worth it if you have a lot to move out of a stockpile.

So would you say this one might be more to your liking?

http://www.everythingattachments.com/Bradco-66-Skid-Steer-Rock-Bucket-2-Tine-Spacing-p/br-rock-bucket-66-univ-16294.htm

North River Energy

That'll work. ;D
The MDS is 'the same' design.
If you're not in a  hurry, every so often they turn up used on Craigslist.

TeaW

This is the stone fork I use to load wood, the tines have a dog leg so they don't push dirt. They are on 4 inch centers.
TeaW

62oliver

Those tines must slide under the wood nice, gotta find something like that, I'm getting too old and sore to pick it up more than I have to.
The ones I like the most are a bit pricey, around $2000 US, and with the crappy exchange rate I'm not in any rush.

Hilltop366

I see HLA make them,the company is located in Ontario. No idea about the quality or price but I thought I would mention it.

62oliver

They look alright, will check them out a bit more, thnx

TeaW

http://hlaattachments.com/equipment.php?cat=Forks&sub=Stone%20Forks&pltfrm=

I didn't get mine from HLA but same thing. It is 72 inch with the cranked Kvernland tine, it came with 2 tines up each side that are better off for loading wood or you spend a lot of time removing stuck wood.
I have had mine for about 20 years, it was about $2200. when I bought it  don't know the price now.
I have used it ever since for loading wood and logs on the processor, like it better for loading logs than palette forks.
TeaW

62oliver

How do you like the 4" spacing? That must be about the most you would want for picking up splits?
I was looking at this one from the same guys, kubota dealer here sells them, I think I will get a price from him after weekend.
http://hlaattachments.com/item.php?item=109&cat=Forks&sub=Stone%20Forks&pltfrm=
I think I might ask him about that one you have too.

TeaW

I wouldn't want them any closer,give loader a bit of a shake to get the dirt out, you loose some dirt but not much wood.
TeaW

yellowrosefarm

Mine looks very similar to this one. I bought it used from a Deere dealership for $800 specifically for moving and piling split wood. It works better than I hoped for that. And, duh, it also works great for grading out rocks from the landing and my woods road. Who knew?  :D

Quote from: 47sawdust on September 04, 2016, 08:48:26 AM
This is what I use.Not a true skeleton bucket,but I have found it handy for screening bony gravel and smoothing fresh dirt.
It is very well made.I couldn't be happier.

Stinger Attachments U.S. made in Minnesota.Will ship directly to you.

labradorguy

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

http://constructionattachmentsinc.com/cal4/specialty-attachments/skeleton-bucket-attachments/skeleton-bucket-attachment.html

The 2 7/16" tines look about right for down to 3"x3". I've never dealt with this outfit before, but I'm thinking about giving one a go.

North River Energy

62oliver

Well my patience paid off, this spring a farmer friend told me he would sell me this rock bucket he had for his FEL, he found the visibility to be very poor on the tractor and didn't think he would use it any more as he also has one for his skid steer. I just had to cut off the FEL attachment and put a skid steer attachment plate on.

http://hlaattachments.com/item.php?item=264&cat=Forks&sub=Stone%20Forks&pltfrm=
thats the bucket 
https://www.palletforks.com/1-2-attachment-mount-plate-for-skidsteer-bobcat-kubota.html  and thats the plate.

Made some pieces up and my son welded it up for me a few weeks ago, its a beast but the 90xt can handle it!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

coxy

that is an odd looking thing  hope it works out great for you

Grizzly

That looks perfect for handling bulk firewood. Do you pick it up off of the ground? Or do you have it in a bin/pad or something like that to make pickup cleaner? I have old bin pads here and have thought of turning them into bunkers for firewood.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

62oliver

Just off the ground, gravel driveway. I think i'd like to pick up a few old jersey barriers to have as walls to push against.

Grizzly

I want to get those concrete building block things and set up a bin on the old bin pads. Same thought as yours.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Thank You Sponsors!