iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

board ft

Started by coxy, September 02, 2016, 04:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

how would you convert 50,000 bft of logs scaled international to a scribner scale  or cant it be done

Glenn1

I used a Norwood app on my phone.  The closest I got was:
Int'l   49815
Scribner   46440
Doyle   50733

You can download the app at Norwoodsawmills.com
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

coxy

not shur I get what your saying   I want to know what 50,000 ft of logs scaled int'l converts to scaled at scribner    wouldn't doyle be a lot less I know they say there is around 15% difference between scribner and doyle  doyle being the 15% less so would scribner be 15% less than int'l

Glenn1

In order to calculate 50,000 bf, I needed to use large diameter logs and long lengths.  With logs that are smaller than approximately 26", you are correct about the doyle yielding more footage. 
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

treeslayer2003

yup, doyle will gain on large logs but loose alot on small ones.

GAB

Quote from: coxy on September 02, 2016, 04:19:12 PM
how would you convert 50,000 bft of logs scaled international to a scribner scale  or cant it be done

The only way I know of getting the answer that you are seeking would be to use the same diameter(s) and length(s) and tabulate the same load or pile of logs using both or all three scales.
If you can find the equations for both, or all three scales and put the data (dia. and length) in an Excel spread sheet, then you can have the computer calculate it and add it up for you.
The Doyle scale penalizes the seller of small logs, however I do not know at what diameter the crossover point is.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Ianab

True, because the scales calculate different numbers depending on the log diameter there is no direct conversion. There might be a 15%, or even more, difference with smaller logs, less as the logs get larger.

You also can't convert log scale directly to tons, or to cubic metres, it's only ever an approximation. Tons and Cubic meters are fixed measures, and you can get a fairly accurate conversion there, as long as you know the density.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

coxy

the reason I'm asking is a forester marked a job of  50'000 ft but used int'l scale but I cant bid on it that way cause I get paid scribner scale

Ianab

Quote from: coxy on September 02, 2016, 09:37:04 PM
the reason I'm asking is a forester marked a job of  50'000 ft but used int'l scale but I cant bid on it that way cause I get paid scribner scale

Able to get an average log size?

Then calculate that log on both scales, and you should come up with a ratio that's at least in the ball park.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

finding the trail

Ask the forester for a DBH break down.  My experience is if the timber is smaller than average, than be very careful.  If he used  handheld tech than he may be able to give you the tract conversion by pushing a button or two.

treeslayer2003

if i were you, i would go cruise it my self. never ever trust any one elses cruise.

danbuendgen

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on September 03, 2016, 11:14:17 PM
if i were you, i would go cruise it my self. never ever trust any one elses cruise.

VERY TRUE!
I have a forester show me the job first. I look over his/her tally sheet. Then on a off day or whatever I look at it alone for with someone else, so I can take my time and look over the trees carefully. Then after I look at it 2x or even 3x I bid. For me, it often helps to have a second person look at the job with me. My wife, a buddy logger, or I have a buddy that is a forester. It's helpful to bounce ideas off someone else who has seen the job. Can't go off tally alone, I always consider: length of skid, size of job, move in & move out costs, landing size and access, terrain (big one around here), current markets and projected markets, trucking costs ect. I'm sure you take these into consideration also. But over all, no matter the scale type 50,000 is not a big job. I get 7,000 +/- Board feet on a truck and pup, so that's only around 7 truck loads... For a job that size I always bid low. Hardly worth it unless the timber is assume, close to home, ect.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

coxy

I don't bid vary high on ash any way the market is to iffy here right now  a few of us looked at it all come up almost the same in price only a few hundred off from each other the skid is long but down hill and there is a ton of wood but I wont bid on wood not enough money to be made after buying it cutting it and the trucking is a killer here 300 a load for 1mile or 80 miles    thanks for all your input

dgdrls

Quote from: coxy on September 04, 2016, 12:56:14 PM
I don't bid vary high on ash any way the market is to iffy here right now  a few of us looked at it all come up almost the same in price only a few hundred off from each other the skid is long but down hill and there is a ton of wood but I wont bid on wood not enough money to be made after buying it cutting it and the trucking is a killer here 300 a load for 1mile or 80 miles    thanks for all your input

So the offer is/was buy the standing timber??

D

coxy

Jeff

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on September 03, 2016, 11:14:17 PM

Great and sound advice.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

danbuendgen

I see you are in Eastern NY. That's quite a large area, are you far from True Temper in Wallingford VT? They buy a lot of White Ash. If I'm on a job cutting a lot of it, that's where it goes. About 3 hours from where I live, but after the higher cost of trucking, I still make out better.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Oliver05262

True Temper is a market that probably isn't available to coxy and others in NY, at least part of the year. Quarantine restrictions during the warmer months---the flight season of the Emerald Ash Borer---are in place to slow down the spread of this pest.
  So far, the EAB hasn't been spotted in Vermont, but is close by in Berkshire County, MA so it won't be long..............
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

coxy

Quote from: danbuendgen on September 04, 2016, 07:37:19 PM

I see you are in Eastern NY. That's quite a large area, are you far from True Temper in Wallingford VT? They buy a lot of White Ash. If I'm on a job cutting a lot of it, that's where it goes. About 3 hours from where I live, but after the higher cost of trucking, I still make out better.
that's about 4-5 hours from me maybe a little longer in a big truck I'm about 45 min west of Middletown NY and about 11/2-2 h from Albany  we have a true temper in Sidney NY but they a full and not paying much right now after the trucking and trying to find some one with a tractor trailer to haul there is no meat on the bone but when there prices are up I can eat steak & lobster  :D :D I send a fair amount of log to Newport VT in the winter when there buying  thanks for all your help and info

Thank You Sponsors!