iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air Drying Walnut and Fans *Updated with Video*

Started by 123maxbars, September 01, 2016, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

My current stack of timber on sticks is 9/4 live edge walnut slabs. Current MC as of today reads 32% which is the max my wagner will read. Up until this point I always air dry to under 20%mc then put the walnut slabs into the kiln.  I air dry my slabs outside under a metal top and open on all sides. I also live in Tennessee.  My questions is does anyone use fans to speed up the drying time for walnut?  And if so how would you position the fans in relationship to the stack? Also do you use bigger industrial size floor fans or inexpensive small box fans?
I would like to get these slabs to below 20% sooner than later.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Fans will indeed increase drying rate but also,will 9ncrease checking and end cracking, etc.  best not.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Glenn1

What the Doc says is absolutely correct but I have had success with 4/4 and 8/4  walnut using oscillating fans.  I keep the boards 6 feet away (could be further if needed) and I think that the oscillation gives the boards some protection.  I am using commercial 30" fans.  The best part of the oscillating fans is that I cover the entire width with one fan.  For a tall stack, I would try an upper and a lower fan.  I have measured the speed of the air entering the stack and also when it exits the stack.  Try to keep the speed entering to around 100-150 feet per minute.  It will greater diminish as it goes thru the stack but I am still able to get readings when it exits. If the speed to too fast, move the fans further away.  You just want a gentle breeze.   
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

123maxbars

Glen. Do the fans face the side of the stack or the end grain?
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Glenn1

Always the side of the stack.  You never want to dry out the end grain.  It dries fast enough without any help.   ;D  Are you using anchorseal to coat the ends?
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Den Socling

I'll be a monkey's uncle if it's not the side.

123maxbars

Quote from: Glenn1 on September 01, 2016, 08:34:56 PM
Always the side of the stack.  You never want to dry out the end grain.  It dries fast enough without any help.   ;D  Are you using anchorseal to coat the ends?

Yes, I put on a coat before and sometimes after I saw them. I think I will try this method. I appreciate your help
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Well I went out and got me one of those fans so I am going to try some increased air flow on my walnut stack. And as usual I made a short video that I hope to show my progress on getting the MC down in this walnut. I appreciate the help on here as always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Q6A8S7qL0
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Glenn1

I also put mine on a timer.  It would stay on for 40 minutes and go off for 20.  This gives the wood time to begin releasing moisture and then the fan takes it away.  Humidity goes up in the evening so I only ran it from 7am to 8pm.  In the evening, the air is probably too moist to accept the additional moisture.

Good Luck,
Glenn

YellowHammer

Looks good. Just keep watching it everyday to make sure it doesn't start cracking.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!