iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back problems!

Started by cbutler703, September 01, 2016, 03:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbutler703

Right lads,

Having issues with my back atm! I use every tool that makes everything easier on my back, yet still get home with a really sore back! Any ideas for some relief? (had my knee reconstructed twice so bending at the knees is no good!)

danbuendgen

If it's that bad.... Have you had a serious back injury in the past? Have you tried to seek help from a professional? Chiropractor - physical therapist - massage therapist? How about a back brace at work, and heating pad after work? That's where I would start.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

North River Energy

For a more informed opinion (rather than guesswork), can you get a co-worker to film your daily exploits so as to examine your work habits/posture etc?
(Might be something simple, like the wrong type of footwear).

What is your history of injury/activity?
Is the pain related to upper or lower back, is it symmetric, or located to one side or the other?
Is it constant throughout the day, or does something set it off partway through?
Can you describe the pain?

If you can fully articulate the problem, a professional, or the internet, has a better chance of helping.

John Mc

Speaking as someone who has some past neck and back injuries (in retrospect, wrestling was probably not the greatest sport for me to pick, but I'm too short for basketball): a whole lot of avoiding back pain for me is using good body mechanics and using the lightest saw with the shortest bar practical for the job at hand. (Using a long bar to extend your reach and cutting way out at the end of the bar does not "save your back" - it makes it worse, since you are cutting at the wrong end of a big lever.)

Tell us a bit about what you are doing. What does your typical work day involve?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

AlexHart

As somebody with more than a little bit of back trouble (basically no bottom two discs and a nasty surgery behind me) one thing I have learned for certain is that everybody is a little bit different when it comes to "back trouble"   In a way that term means the same thing but really it also means 1000 different things. 

At any rate you've got my sympathy.  Two knee reconstructions and chronic back trouble at age 19?  That's a tough row to hoe.   

John is right though.   Good body mechanics and good posture.  My posture is complete $### but I try to pay much more attention now.   I think your knee might be a big part of it because a lot of times "taking a knee" is much better for your back than bending and hunching forward. 

cbutler703

In all fairness I do think a lot of it is to do with my knee! I always use the right saw for the job, never seen the point in using a massive saw for smaller trees! the pain is usually lower back pain that some times creeps up towards the shoulders. in all honesty it hurts the most after ive got home and sat down for 20 mins! (I always try and stretch before I do!)

DDW_OR

are you 19 years old?

if not then change your profile
"let the machines do the work"

cbutler703

yes I'm 19! had an extremely bad accident playing rugby which is why my knee is so dodgey!

red

If you are in pain at 19 yrs old, I think you need to find another occupation.  Do whatever you can to rehab your back and body. Repetitive injury will only get worse.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Ed_K

I agree with red. My son worked in distribution from after high school till he was 36, and the pain was just to unbearable.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!