iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You know I cant resist...

Started by CCC4, September 01, 2016, 05:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

putting a circle cut?stump jumping video up when you guys start talking about this style of cutting. Fairly nice trick to have in your back pocket. Thanks for viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7zZN5J0uc

RHP Logging

Put your shirt back on ya hillbilly!
Buckin in the woods

WDH

Clint,

You are one fine dude with a chainsaw.  I would love to spend a day with you for learning.  That cut would scare me to death, though. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Czech_Made

I will never try that of course, but what is the purpose of this cut?

Ed_K

Your saw sounded like it was running a lot better than that last dude's  ;D .
Ed K

Ljohnsaw

Not at all what I expected.  It didn't look like you were cutting all that deep.  You sure make it look easy!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

so il logger

That's what I like to see  8)

Excellent work as always, Clint  :)

CCC4

CCC4

Quote from: WDH on September 01, 2016, 07:40:58 AM
Clint,

You are one fine dude with a chainsaw.  I would love to spend a day with you for learning.  That cut would scare me to death, though.

Sir you have been so good to me over the years on here and I greatfully appreciate it! I would love to cut with ya, I'm sure you could teach me a lot!! Thank you though, it really means a lot!

CCC4

Quote from: so il logger on September 01, 2016, 05:13:17 PM
That's what I like to see  8)

Excellent work as always, Clint  :)

Getting closer man, should be wrapped up here in 3 hard days cutting!!

RHP Logging

Quote from: CCC4 on September 01, 2016, 08:09:47 PM
Quote from: RHP Logging on September 01, 2016, 07:17:04 AM

Pftt! Maybe around Thanksgiving LOL!

Haha!  Either you guys don't have the same things in the woods there or you are super tough.  Up here there are so many things that will  bite or sting you, poke you or stick you.  On some jobs the buckthorn is so bad my arms look like I made a hundred razor blades cuts on em at the end of the day and they burn like crazy at night.  I can't imagine that all over my body. 
Buckin in the woods

AlexHart

treeslayer2003

Quote from: RHP Logging on September 01, 2016, 10:42:31 PM
Quote from: CCC4 on September 01, 2016, 08:09:47 PM
Quote from: RHP Logging on September 01, 2016, 07:17:04 AM

Pftt! Maybe around Thanksgiving LOL!

Haha!  Either you guys don't have the same things in the woods there or you are super tough.  Up here there are so many things that will  bite or sting you, poke you or stick you.  On some jobs the buckthorn is so bad my arms look like I made a hundred razor blades cuts on em at the end of the day and they burn like crazy at night.  I can't imagine that all over my body.
for real! holly, green brier, black berry, wild rose........not to mention the bugs. that dudes tough as nails. i have blister on my shoulder from the hot saw bar.....i are a wimp lol.

bigblue12v

Ccc4, nicely done sir. Care to elaborate on the physics of this style cut? How does tree not sit on bar, how do you make sure it goes where you want it to go etc.
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

John Mc

Quote from: RHP Logging on September 01, 2016, 10:42:31 PM

I can sympathize. I'm usually scarred for a while after doing battle in my "buckthorn plantation". Add the mosquitos, black flies, deer flies, and ticks, and I keep a shirt on. With all the disease the ticks carry (seems like they're finding a new one every year or two), I've been wearing permethrin treated shirts. They've been working well. I may look into treated socks as well.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

OH logger

that's how I cut trees here with no tops in em to pull them down. works great but get the heck away when it goes down cause the log/tree can slide back of the stump! ;)
john

so il logger

Quote from: bigblue12v on September 02, 2016, 11:37:48 AM
Ccc4, nicely done sir. Care to elaborate on the physics of this style cut? How does tree not sit on bar, how do you make sure it goes where you want it to go etc.

What he done was more less a swing cut. Just in a different method. The tree was constantly sitting slowly more and more on the kerf. It is possible for the tree to sit quick and pinch the saw, but after allot of practice it doesn't happen much. As far as placement it is more confidence of reading the tree and knowing I can cut it this way and put it there. It is one of many techniques that come in handy in a production setting. Long bars have they're place, but not always needed

killamplanes

In the production setting here its pretty common to just run one size bar and chain. That way all saws, bars, chains, etc are standard and interchangable. I run 25in , I have a 36in setup only use couple times a year. But yes, good job putting wood on the deck. And yes, takes a few pinches to figure it out. And I would say ccc4 got it figured out.. ;D
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

bigblue12v

I like to run 25" myself anything much more is just bulky and doesn't serve my purposes well. Keep 32" around just in case. I'm not a production logger either. I don't plan on attempting this style cut but I like to learn as much as I can anytime possible. Because I do not have the knowledge and experience needed to safely pull this off I wouldn't even attempt it. I kinda figured mostly had to do with reading the tree and understanding the geometry and physics of it all. Which is something I enjoy doing, but it seems trees are always either trying to prove me wrong or teach me more lol maybe when it seems that changes I can venture into more radical cuts. I'm still working on bore cutting right now, haven't had much chance to try it out but very eager to.
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

WV Sawmiller

You guys know why Sthil calls their bar a 25" bar while everyone else calls it a 24"? I bought one with my 441 last year. We are talking about 84 link, .50 Gage, 72 loops right?

I have a 20" on my old 440 and I like the 24" (25"?) when felling large (for me - toothpicks for some of you guys) trees.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!