iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

That white grease on the worm drive

Started by ChrisN, November 14, 2004, 02:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisN

Finally took the plunge and got the clutch off the Husky 350 to lube the bearing. While I was in there I pulled off the cover over the oil pump, to give it all a good clean. The well under the worm drive was packed with some sort of white grease - is it special stuff and can I use normal grease in there?

Chris
Chris

SasquatchMan

White greases are usually lithium based, these days.  I've replaced white and tan greases with bearing grease with no trouble in power tools, but I found cv grease (which I think might be clay based) to be a bit too thick for high speed applications.  Sometimes it's bad to mix types of grease (they mix chemically and the old and new both work less well), so if you aren't sure what's on there, it's usually good to try to get things clean before you regrease.
As to the performance, I kind of think that any kind of new grease is better than really dirty "factory" grease, with the exception being that if there are ball bearings around, you need to be aware of not destroying the lube in these (by adding some non-compatible grease to the system.

Unless you think the grease is really gunked up, don't get too super concerned about changing it.  As long as there's a bit of grease around, gears will do okay for a long time.

The main concern I would think on a chainsaw is that any grease you use needs to stay thick when hot.  Most greases have temperature ratings on the tube, so check it out first.

Good luck.  I went through a big "change the grease" phase with my tools, and I'm not sure if I helped or harmed... they all still run though...
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Thank You Sponsors!