iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bugged

Started by Timster, August 31, 2016, 11:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timster

I picked up a few logs that had been sitting around for a while, either white pine or hemlock and found these under the bark and was wondering what I am dealing with. The bark was loose and I needed to make a few more pallets to start storing lumber so I figured I would use these logs that were on the ground figuring I would loose some to rot etc.

Magicman

Yup, critters need homes too.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

I bet those would make some killer fish bait! fishin-smiley
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Magicman

I did know the name of them but like most other stuff that I once knew....I forgot.   smiley_mad_crazy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

I've got a whack of really BIG pine logs (34"+ diameter) that have been on the ground since May. Just too big for my mill. A real time (and back) killer. Anyways, these beetles were "clicking away" in them all summer. Now they have stopped.
Cooks AE4P Edger

69bronco

Pine bores, they'll quit/slow down when it cools down.

Joe Hillmann

If you listen closely you can hear them chewing in the log.  If you tap on the log they will stop for several minutes.  I assume they think the tapping is a woodpecker and that is why they stop making noise.

killamplanes

Pine borer whisperer :D :D
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

scleigh

Why is it that you only see them nasty thangs when you have pine logs waiting to be sawn? They show up by the hundreds when I get pine logs, never see them any other time. Do they come in on a bus? :D

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Deese

Cooks AE4P Edger

drobertson

Good read Texas ranger, been sawing lots of pine, it seems that every tree has them.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

RayRayYJ

Quote from: scleigh on August 31, 2016, 10:03:22 PM
Why is it that you only see them nasty thangs when you have pine logs waiting to be sawn? They show up by the hundreds when I get pine logs, never see them any other time. Do they come in on a bus? :D

Some beetles are attracted to fresh logs by the volatile compounds released by the tree when it's cut...hence they all show up when you get newly cut logs. We get some up here attracted to smoke (signal of tree stress), and some wood wasps come to camp fires too.

On a side note, get chickens....mine go nuts when I'm peeling bark, they pick the pile clean!

Thank You Sponsors!