iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drops 9AM Tomorrow --- Ideas on Walnut, Elm or Locust (Very Dark)

Started by OffGrid973, August 30, 2016, 08:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OffGrid973

Hi Team,

Got a call about this one coming down tomorrow and wondering if I should grab it after lunch. 

Is it worth renting a trailer for the large trunk (~28 inches) ? 

Many of the limbs even after the crotch are 12"+ so they will make some good lumber and I can easily get them into the pickup with my tailgate lift. The big piece is over 500lbs in a 6' length I assume and that is over max lift weight.

All comments and feedback appreciated,
-Chris

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

OffGrid973

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Jeff

Quote from: cwimer973 on August 30, 2016, 08:45:41 PM

Many of the limbs even after the crotch are 12"+ so they will make some good lumber

Limb wood rarely if ever makes "good" lumber in the normal sense of the word. Not that you can't get something out of it in small lengths that could be usable for projects. Being elm, I wouldn't expect anything but a twisted mess sawed from the limbs.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OffGrid973

This is my first time trying to mill elm so going to give it a shot because of the dark color.  I am thinking the experts will consider this a valuable reason as to why I should never cut elm in the future :)

Question on limb vs truck vs branch, should I only stick the where the tree splits (Trunk) if trying to make lumber for a client?

Feel free to beat me up if stupid question, I have only really sold slabs so far.

Thanks,
-Chris

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

4x4American

Elm usually has that crown that looks like someone doing the Y part of the YMCA lol

Sell whatever people will buy if you ask me
Boy, back in my day..

Den-Den

Elm is a great wood for turning bowls, vases etc it is tough & very crack resistant.  I would only saw straight knot free wood from the truck for lumber.  Limb wood will likely be a disaster for lumber.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

OffGrid973

Went with slabs instead of lumber and glad I did, take a look at what the crotch provided for a bench or table top.  I just hope when I anchor the ends that they don't check.

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!