Previous topic - Next topic

Clark

Here's one for all the experts:

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Jeff

We only need the three letter word expert. :D  WDH
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

cliffreaves

thecfarm

Quote from: Jeff on August 29, 2016, 03:51:11 PM
We only need the three letter word wood expert. :D  WDH

He'll figure it out.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

From the end grain, sure looks basswoody. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ox

*Nods head and tips hat in direction of WDH then looks back to Clark*

See, that was easy.  Next?  ;D

Kinda reminds me of Crocodile Dundee II when the guy with the cowboy hat was sitting by the water.  The baddie comes out of the bush, guy offers him a beer.  Baddie says you shoulda brought a gun, not beer.  Guy says I don't need a gun, I've got a Donk.  Baddie says a what?  Big Donk spins him around, says a Donk, and knocks him out flat.

We don't need nothin' round here 'sides WDH.  :laugh:
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Clark

Not box elder.

Not basswood. 

Really, neither are even close.  :D

I do admit, I stretch the definition of "lumber" with this piece. It's only 1.5" wide and 21" long. That is the first hint.

The second hint is that this piece of lumber is at the complete opposite end of the North American hardwoods density spectrum from box elder and basswood. Using some rough measurements (the piece of "lumber" is curved and has wane) I get a density of 51.4 pounds/cubic foot.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Tamarack

Moosewood,also called striped maple

WDH

Well, it is diffuse porous if that is any consolation  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Clark

Quote from: WDH on August 30, 2016, 08:10:40 PM
Well, it is diffuse porous if that is any consolation  :)

This is true. No one has guessed a conifer...that would be way off.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

cliffreaves

51.4 dry or green?  Apple maybe?

WDH

Clark

51.4 air dried.

Apple and dogwood? Both of those are much closer in several ways.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Ox

You didn't saw up a sumac, did you?  Seems like I remember as a kid knifing those things at a steep diagonal cut and I'd see those darker bits.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

WV Sawmiller

Not sure about the Minnesota address where posted but if southern I'd be guessing Sycamore or Sweetgum.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Maybe it is serviceberry, Amelanchier arborea.

Tamarack

how about hawthorn or eastern hop hornbeam?

Clark

Third time is the winner for WDH! Serviceberry is the correct answer. I will say Amelanchier but I wouldn't name a specific epithet.

Around here it rarely gets very big. Some sketchy information on the web told me it was quite dense so I kept my eyes peeled for a "big" one.  I happened across several that were ~4" DBH so I took the best looking one. After cutting around the rot I was left with a couple of pieces the size of the above "board". If I could find a chunk that was 10-12" in diameter I would be in business. I understand it grows larger in the south.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Gary_C

Quote from: Clark on September 01, 2016, 09:46:34 AM
Third time is the winner for WDH! Serviceberry is the correct answer.

Clark, now you've got to show us a picture of it growing in your pine stands.  :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WDH

I have a pretty nice one on my property.  Maybe 10" in diameter.  It is also called shadbush because it flowers when the shad are running up the rivers on the east coast to spawn.  For more interesting info on this small tree, view this video.  The part about the "service" part of serviceberry is particularly interesting. 

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=9

Clark, you are sneaky  ;D. 

Ron Scott

Well done! Good information.
~Ron

WDH

Had to dig a little deep for that one  headscratch.

Bill Ragosta

I've got several on my property that are probably 8-10" as well.  I consider taking one for turkey calls because they're said to be so dense. 

Clark

Since I had fun making WDH scratch his head on this post before I think it is time for another!

If you answer Douglas fir because it is in the background you win a consolation prize. TBD. Probably not something you want to win.
SAF Certified Forester

WDH

My very first impulsive reaction, without the wood brain engaged, was something birchy but that is much too easy given your penchant for being sneaky.... :).

Thank You Sponsors!