iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fishing is slow but...

Started by WV Sawmiller, August 29, 2016, 01:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Well, been fishing for catfish last several days. This has been about the slowest I remember it being in many years. The best part was last weekend when I had my 8 and 10 y/o granddaughters down and took them to check the lines in the morning then we'd go fish for bait. I bought each of them a new 10' fiberglass crappie pole and rigged them up with a #10 cricket hook, bb shot and a small float set about a foot or so deep. I started cutting up night crawlers into 3/4" pieces (That stops them from crawling off) and we'd pitch them in the rocks below the boat landing. Yesterday it was sunny so we went down next to the Bluestone Dam. It looked like 100' tall and nice shade. Right against the dam and in the corner I ran the trolling motor for them to fish. I guess they caught 50-60 in an hour there. It was pretty hectic with them jerking in small bluegills and green sunfish from 3-6 inches long and me baiting hooks and taking fish off. They had a blast but I think I had more fun than either of them. I still have to plan another trip to take the 4 y/o as she was sick last week and could not go. She's also the perfect age for that kind of fishing.

I put out bushhooks (Limblines or droplines as they are sometimes called here) made of nylon cord with a big lead weight about 6-12 inches above the hook. I tie the lines to green limbs over the water and adjusted the length from 1 to 5-6 feet deep in likely looking spots (Hint - if its a spot you'd toss a bass lure or pupping bug put a catfish hook there). My hooks were old so during the course of this trip I replaced all my old 6/0 and 10/0 J hooks with 6/0 and 9/0 circle hooks. I don't understand how the circle hooks work but they seem to work better. My lines are old and getting frayed and I really need to replace them before my mom comes out next month for her annual visit and fishing trip. I used all live bait which is legal in WV. It was not legal in Fla where I grew up. Flathead catfish prefer the live bait over cut bait. Blues and channels will bite both. Because bass and crappie and such are so bad to knock the bait off I started baiting up just before dark and often double checked my lines in the dark on the way back. I have developed a fine appreciation for the channel markers in the river and lake as they are sure a welcome sight in the pitch dark to keep up with your location and avoid some of the stumps and mud flats.

My constant companion and partner is my 13 lb Rat Terrier Sampson. He loves to bark at a catfish. Last night while checking a line a young coon came right down within 4-5 feet of us and even reared up like a bear at one point till Sampson finally started barking and chased him off. I'll let him out to run along the bank sometimes where I am checking several lines in the same area.

Most mornings this time I had from 3-5 fish on about 50 hooks (which is pretty poor averages) that weighed 12-15 lbs and no fish over 5-6 lbs. A couple of times I caught small catfish (about 1 lb) which I put back on as live bait. Both were taken by bigger fish but I did not hook them. A couple years ago we pulled up a line with 5 lb flathead that had been skinned by a bigger fish that was eating him on the line (That's the fish I am looking for). I had a couple of lines cut or stolen during the trip. Sometimes a disgruntled boater or bass fisherman will get tangled in one of my lines and cut it off. It is not uncommon to have fish stolen. The thief comes by and sees the green limb shaking and can't resist the temptation. They go over, throw the fish in the boat and cut the line and keep going. That is one advantage of a trotline over a bushhook - you can hide a trotline and it is too much work for most thieves to check.

This morning I took up my lines and had 6 fish. There were 3 small (2-3 lb) channel and one  blue catfish, one 8-1/2 lb flathead, and one 17 lb channel cat. Total catch about 36 lbs which will yield about 29 lbs (80% is pretty consistent) of fillets. I have caught lots of bigger flatheads than the 17 lb fish but few if any channels up here that big.

When I was growing up we never filleted the catfish. Dad used to freeze a bunch from 4lbs up and take them to a local butcher to cut crossways on his meat/band saw. These steaks were easy to pick the backbones out. I don't know why we didn't fillet them as even a one lb catfish is easy to fillet. I also cut the steaks off the heads or cheeks of any fish over 3-4 lbs as there is a nice nugget or fillet there that is worth saving and not hard to recover.

17 lb channel cat and Sampson in my boat at home.

17 lb channel cat and 8-1/2 lb flathead.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Mooseherder

Great story WV.  Your granddaughters will remember that forever.
You may have some Hemingway in your blood. ;)

WV Sawmiller

MH,

Don't be trying to stir up something. I had enough problems looking like the ice man as a child.

Yes, the girls had a great time and I sure will have fond memories of the trip as long as I live.

BTW - Did you know I was also a Mooseherder? I think it was 3 years ago this month we were in Alaska and spotted a big cow moose by the side of the road. She went into the brush but a couple hundred yards later we saw a dirt road quartering back such that the moose was in the V. I stopped and let my photographer wife and traveling partner (another long story I'll save for later) get out with their cameras while I hotfooted it back to where the moose walked into the woods and I walked in slowly pushing her and her calf (which we had not previously seen) out across the little dirt road so Becky and Patrick were able to get good pictures of them. Not really a wise move I have since been told as moose can be aggressive especially when they have a calf
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

drobertson

Sounds like a good couple of days, sounds like. You know what you are doing! Nice catch too!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: drobertson on August 29, 2016, 07:22:54 PM
Sounds like a good couple of days, sounds like. You know what you are doing! Nice catch too!

I had a good time but in all honesty with that many lines out I normally would have been catching between 40-50 lbs of fish per night. I think on my best night a couple years ago I caught 105 lbs and caught at least one 20+ lb fish each night for nearly a week.

I usually start fishing for catfish in May then again in late September or October. My 10 y/0 granddaughter was with me in Mid October last year and we landed a 27 lb flathead. She got him in the landing net but could not pull him in by herself.

Any day on the lake with the girls, my mom and Sampson is usually a good day.
Howard Green

thecfarm

We don't fish like that here in Maine. Thanks for the story.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Worked with a guy that catfished, he said it was good twice a year, seems like the timing was near the same, the would fish straight through in 24 hour increments. They had some kind of homemade stink bait, all I know is I am ready for another fish fry again!!!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

doctorb

Loved the story.  nice pics.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: drobertson on August 29, 2016, 09:05:50 PM
Worked with a guy that catfished, he said it was good twice a year, seems like the timing was near the same, the would fish straight through in 24 hour increments. They had some kind of homemade stink bait, all I know is I am ready for another fish fry again!!!

My wife is a retired HS teacher (she was the band director and also taught photography) and we have a monthly retired teachers luncheon. We normally have a fish fry or two here every year when we can schedule it. We have a blast and one key item the folks expect is a big pot of cheese grits. Grits are not that common here so they are a delicacy to the attendees. We have a blast every time.

My mom will take a bunch back with her to have a fish fry at her church in Fla. They are Methodists but still love fish almost as much as the Baptists. I furnish several local churches with enough to have fish fry but my son says they still have plenty from the last trip. I also provide several old neighbors. One is a 97 y/o veteran who is amazing. At 18 he drove a truckload of medical supplies across the newly opened Burma Road. His mind is still crystal clear. I saw him on his tractor baling hay last week. If I am sawing in the area he will come park his old grey Chevy Nova in sight and come watch. Last time I had to take my leaf blower out and blow the dust off his windshield and windows so he see to drive home safely (well, as safely as a 97 y/o can). I'd be thrilled if I were in half as good shape when I am his age.
Howard Green

Savannahdan

Back in my youth in SE Missouri we put out tightlines for catfish.  We had to include P&G soap as bait.  The turtles didn't care for the taste of it but the catfish did.  I also fished that lake with a fly outfit with 2 or 3 popping bugs on the end.  Caught a lot of bluegill/sunfish.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

WV Sawmiller

SDan,

What are you calling tightlines? Trotlines with a main line with multiple leads hanging from them or single hook lines like what I call bushhooks?

My old mentor used soap and got my dad hooked on it. Dad fished on the Suannee River and would only use limblines and would not use anything but soap because he only caught Blue and Channel catfish and no trash fish or turtles. Mostly we used Camay (which I am not even sure you can still get). We'd buy it from big chain stores where it sold quick and was fresh and not from community stores where it might have been on the shelf for a year or so. Ivory was second choice but it was more brittle and hard to cut (don't microwave it to try to soften it - trust me on this). The old standard was Octogon. I think the oil in the soap was what attracted the fish.

Dad made a soap cutter like a cheese cutter. Used a big curved piece of metal with an eye bolt he could tighten and guitar strings for the cutting wire. My old mentor would cut a bath size bar of Camay soap into 45 baits about 3/4" X 3/4" X3/8". We kept it in a coffee can in the boat all the time. It would swell up to a couple inches square in calm water. My friends son down in Fla still uses Ivory and catches big fish on it especially when the water is high and he is fishing in the backwater

I don't use it up here as I am mostly fishing for Flathead catfish and they greatly prefer live bait.

Trotlines work great where the fish are concentrated in a particular area and you can get a lot of hooks close together. I have one spot here where I used to put one across the river. I'd catch channel cats on the shallow side and flatheads over in the deep water. Trotlines can be very dangerous especially when there is a lot of boat traffic and rude boaters. They are also harder to use in the Fall when the leaves are falling as the leaves catch on the main line to the point they can even break them in swift current. If you've never had a main line break because of current or a boat motor cutting it while you are working it you are lucky.
Howard Green

WDH

Fortify yourself with some boiled peanuts and some cheese grits and get back on the water and catch some more catfish.  Sampson, I am sure, will love it too.

This weekend, my daughter and her husband and my little granddaughter are coming for a visit and I will fry some catfish and hush puppies for them.  I will ply them with boiled peanuts, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Quote from: WDH on August 30, 2016, 08:44:12 PM
Fortify yourself with some boiled peanuts and some cheese grits and get back on the water and catch some more catfish.  Sampson, I am sure, will love it too.

This weekend, my daughter and her husband and my little granddaughter are coming for a visit and I will fry some catfish and hush puppies for them.  I will ply them with boiled peanuts, too.
Dag gone! It! You boys have all the fun!  Kill'm I say! 

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: drobertson on August 30, 2016, 09:20:49 PM
Quote from: WDH on August 30, 2016, 08:44:12 PM

Dag gone! It! You boys have all the fun!  Kill'm I say! 

Dan and Dan,

I'll have to get the peanuts out of the freezer as I finished the others last night.

My son is dropping off my 4 y/o granddaughter Thursday and I will fish with her that afternoon and Friday morning. I think I will put out a few lines Thursday night and take them up Friday morning. I will either have to dig some worms or pull down a bunch of webworms off a walnut tree as only caught 2 nightcrawlers a few minutes ago. Actually I did not use but 3-4 worms each day all morning with both girls as each 3/4" piece will normally catch 5-6 fish before they tear it off.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

I just finished inspecting and rebuilding my lines. Some had 2 weights which I reduced to one. Some were pretty frayed and I replaced with #21 nylon cords about 8-9 feet long (2 full arm spreads). I had 5-6 press on weights I will open and re-use to make new lines in the morning. I'll put out a few in targeted spots tomorrow when I take Molly, our 4 y/o fishing then take them up on Friday morning hopefully with a few big catfish.

I may experiment in the future with buying a bunch of big bulk nuts at TSC and try them as weights. I'm thinking they will be much cheaper than lead weights. The other option I find a good weight mold and get a bunch of old tire weights and make weights from them. Dad bought one and gave it to our old mechanic who ran a community store and bait shop and Dad got free weights and the other man made and sold them in his shop.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Well, my son dropped off Molly, our 4 y/o granddaughter yesterday afternoon. She was sick last week and didn't get to go fishing with us so I promised to take her this week. We went out and dug a few worms and chased down a few grasshoppers and crickets then went to the lake around 3:00 p.m. Got the boat unloaded and Sampson, Molly and I got in only to find my outboard would not start so we used the trolling motor and went down the lake a ways. Molly must have caught about 20-25 little fish. She stopped counting after 7-8. She had a great time and we left the lake about 6:00.

Molly insisted we had to go again today and take Grandma so I went out and caught 50 or so nightcrawlers thanks to morning showers driving them out. We got on the lake about 0900, forgot to put the drain plug in so had to re-load, pull up and let it drain, plug and unload again. Of course a couple of friends of ours were there to observe. I can never make a really good mistake in private.

We fished down the lake talking to our friends as we slowly drifted. They had a blast watching Molly catching small sunfish. She'd yell and swing the fish all around the boat hitting Becky and me in the head and body with them.  After an hour or so the  wind picked up so we drifted back, loaded up and I took the boat to the shop and ran a few errands in town then came back. The boat shop called and I went and picked it up. It was a little embarrassing but the only problem was a poor connection at the battery so when cleaned, recharged and tightened and everything worked fine again. Now I am ready for my next trip.

It doesn't take much to keep kids Molly's age entertained and we had a blast watching her catching her fish. Of course she had to brag to her sisters and let them know she caught more than Grandpa.
Howard Green

coxy

sounds like you have a lot of fun down there

Thank You Sponsors!