iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Draken Ship

Started by Ron Scott, August 28, 2016, 10:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Has anyone been following the Draken Expedition from Norway to America? I got to tour the ship last Saturday when it was at Belle Isle near Detroit, MI. Quite an adventurous and talented sailing crew. Not an ounce of fat on any of them.

The hull is constructed of European northern red oak with a beautiful dragon figureheads on the bow and stern.

The Mast is Douglas Fir

The crews quarters below with 22 bunks shared by the crew of 35 who take turns sleeping and being on watch. 

Our tour guide crew member from Switzerland,

http://www.drakenexpeditionamerica.com/
~Ron

Czech_Made

Vikings found North American continent and decided it is nothing important to mention  ;D

OneWithWood

Interesting the boat is constructed from red oak.  Is European red oak structured differently from American red oak?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ron Scott

~Ron

SLawyer Dave

Quote from: Czech_Made on August 29, 2016, 07:38:12 AM
Vikings found North American continent and decided it is nothing important to mention  ;D

While the Norse later adopted characters to create a written form of their related languages, the lack of knowledge of such ancient discoveries, is primarily due to lack of a native written language of the time.  Their stories, histories and culture were primarily based and handed down on oral traditions.   It is really a shame that we don't have more of their ancient history and culture available for review.  There would likely be a lot that we could still learn from their ancient journeys and discoveries.

Ianab

True about how some of those ancient cultures were pretty amazing navigators.

It was thought that the Polynesians getting to New Zealand ~800 years ago was pretty amazing. But latest research says that the local Sweet Potato came from South America, different type to the Sth East Asian ones. Suggesting they had been there, and bought back some groceries. It's well known they reached Easter Island and of course Hawaii, but that means they actually reached Chile / Peru, and returned.

But with no written language it got lost in the other oral legends.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Czech_Made

Ha, Kon-Tiki anybody?  Thor Hayerdal was my hero, but the movie is great to watch even now.

tule peak timber

Beautiful craftsmanship. I went to school for a while in England and I remember doing a book report on generations of family's growing oaks specifically for ships knees. Certainly a lost art to say the least. What a beautiful boat !  :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

newoodguy78

Thanks for sharing this I hadn't hear about it that's quite the voyage. The craftsmanship that went into building that boat is incredible.

Tule Peak pardon my ignorance but what part of the boat is the knee?

tule peak timber

Newwoodguy, The term is loosely like the ribs of a vessel but can be other curved support structures. Oak trees were  grown espalier fashion for many , many years as special high strength boat parts. The thing that gets me is that somewhere in storage I still have the hard bound report I was required to produce detailing this process in second grade. The English public school system in the early sixties was tough ! Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

newoodguy78

Tule peak thanks for the reply. Sounds like quite the report you had to do. It always fascinates me learning about the process the old timers went through to create such masterpieces.

Magicman

Thank you Ron.  That and the other videos were very informative as well as entertaining.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

I've done a bit of research on ancient seafaring as well-- hats off to these guys! They must have had quite a time rowing that boat up Niagra Falls. . . .  :laugh:
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!