iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This style felling cut

Started by ohiowoodchuck, August 28, 2016, 08:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

I seen a video of this the other day. I have read on here about people cutting walnut like this. I just thought it was neat and would like some more info from guys who have used it before. No I have no desire or need to try it. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zPBnxFP4p-k
Education is the best defense against the media.

danbuendgen

He's basically just bucking that tree off the stump. That has to be one of the more dangerous ways to cut a tree. And much harder to control the direction of the tree falling. Much better to make an open face notch, make a proper size hinge, boar cut it. I cut all my trees this way, and NEVER ruin good hardwood trees. And with the notch, I can easily control the trees direction.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

John Mc

Interesting, but not something I'd want to do. I'm not sure how you'd do that sort of cut if the tree were not out in the open, and you needed to control the direction. Then again, I don't run into a lot of veneer grade.

I watched the whole thing wondering where the eye protection, leg protection, and (as far as I could tell) hearing protection were.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

danbuendgen

We definitely cut our trees differently here.

John Mc

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ohiowoodchuck

I have heard of walnut being cut like this to get every inch out of the butt and not having to lose inches from the butt because of a hinge in it.

danbuendgen

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on August 28, 2016, 08:47:37 PM
I have heard of walnut being cut like this to get every inch out of the butt and not having to lose inches from the butt because of a hinge in it.

I say BS. That's what the 6" of trim is for. Just cut the hinge off the butt log and trim up the butt flare to make a nice presentable butt log. This way of bucking the tree off the stump is wicked old school. There are much better ways to safely cut good quality hardwood, and not damage the butt log.

Plus, logs are NOT scaled from the butt end of the log, but from the tip end. I don't care how big the butt of the log is, it's the tapered end that gets scaled. Who ever told you that was dead wrong.

pinefeller

not cool very dangerous. cut close to the ground as possible, bore out the middle thus leaving two straps, instead of a continuous hinge. i also like to nip in the sides a little bit for a nice clean log with no bark pull on the sides of the hinge.(shhh don't tell anyone this is also how you can cut down big wood with little bars). by the time the bell is trimmed off the notch will disappear. there isn't a piece of timber in the world worth more than being able to see my kids at night.
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

ohiowoodchuck

It's was discussed on here before, is why I bring it up. That's where I heard about it and finally seen a video of it.

killamplanes

That's a pretty standard bore cut. Its the majority of what u see here. I use it almost exclusively unless I need better control on direction. Done correctly u do have a decent amount of control maybe not like a wedge, humbolt. But I believe it is a fairly safe cut that is very unlikely to damage lumber (fiber pull, barber chair, etc.) the downfall is I stay at the stump, so watch ur tops. But you look at most cut timbers here and it will be the majority of stumps. Not for everyone, but no reason to be a hater of it. decent control and easy on trees, and fast to put wood on ground, and done half way correctly seldom pinch a saw. I do to cottonwood threw walnut. U need a pro chain because usually at some point in the hole you need to roll back the bar. typically 3 hangers(spikes) or 4.. Not for everyone I understand...
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

killamplanes

And remember with this cut the tree will typically slide back on the stump. And that can be dangerous.. But like anything if you expect it, it is not a surprise.. If your interested in it take a small bar saw and do it on a 14in tree don't start with a 40in butt tree. You will like it or never do it again I guess..
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

RHP Logging

Stump jumping.  You can saw trees completely off the stump and have control of them unlike the stump jump method in the pic. You have to be that good though. Bore cutting is not necessary for every tree and is a waste of time if the tree is not leaning hard.
Buckin in the woods

killamplanes

I new I could count on u RHP,  you love stump jumpers ;D

Spartan

Guy looks a tad overconfident.
I would wear myself out doing that much running around a tree.
I'd rather sit on one side and get it done asap.... but, I cut softwood so it's probably a whole different ball game.  You gotta throw a lot of wood on the ground to equal what that thing is worth I'm sure.

killamplanes

Guessing say its 30in small end 422bdft, at 10ft. at say 2 bucks bdft gives 850 bucks. that's just first 10ft could easily be 1500 dollar tree but that's just guessing but its a realiastic guess.

WH_Conley

A notch on the stump will take care of it coming back across the stump.
Bill

pinefeller

Well, i guess gravity will put it on the ground one way or another (4+minutes later) but no hinge = no control. Ever had a gust of wind come up and stand a tree right back up on the stump after you was sure she was goin over with a good lean? Would be a bummer if you were knee deep in slash tryin to figure out where to go...What if theres a crotch in the crown that doesnt favor the lean and your not in the firewood business, or the chopper (gasp) misjudges the lean. Just cause grandaddy did it that way dont make it right. my .02 rock on  :)
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

so il logger

I see nothing wrong with his style. Pretty common here, although that method is called spur cutting here.

I do it some, as well as no notch no hinge crown cutting. Or circle cutting as it is known locally. Not for everyone, but its my decision to make. And believe it or not a guy can direct a tree decently after practice. Every tree is different and there is no such thing as one method fits all. Not here anyhow  ;)

pinefeller

i got nothing to prove ;) ;). i'm stickin a fork in it for tonight- old boss used to tell me every day short time livin' long time dead. be safe, happy choppin

so il logger

No argument from me, just adding my opinion. I will say it took the fella in the video awhile to lay it down. Dull chain maybe...

So far I haven't gotten hurt cutting that way. I have been hurt in the woods, but it wasn't related to method. Actually I was more less gol cutting every time I have been hurt. So be safe...  ;) :)

Spartan

Quote from: killamplanes on August 28, 2016, 10:59:09 PM
Guessing say its 30in small end 422bdft, at 10ft. at say 2 bucks bdft gives 850 bucks. that's just first 10ft could easily be 1500 dollar tree but that's just guessing but its a realiastic guess.

Yeah, takes 25 tons to make that out here.

treeslayer2003

meh...........even when i jumped i still back cut. today i could directional fall that tree faster then he did and with no pull.
it is veneer white oak, prolly is worth about what was stated.

whitepine2

I watched the whole thing wondering where the eye protection, leg protection, and (as far as I could tell) hearing protection were.

Not to mention the poison ivy,sure looked like it on trunk,some of it anyway.

OH logger

its done some around here on the high dollar trees but not by me. i use bacically the gol style all the time but alot of the older guys around here always cut this way. i just never completely understood it enough. me a dumb tree cutter though ;D
john

Spartan

all i know is when I save out trees, control of direction is king

Thank You Sponsors!