iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening ?

Started by edsaws, November 15, 2004, 11:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edsaws

I got a rookie ? to ask. ??? When sharpening bandmill blades should they be sharpened before being set or after? I'm planning on building a sharpener and setter in the near future and was just curious which to do first. Thanks

Gilman

Set then sharpen is the usual preferred choice.  I learned this from Tom and others and then tested it myself.  I use this method after trying both.  Jim pointed out to me that you loose about 0.001" of set when you sharpen, thus set 0.001" over what you want and then grind.  

If you sharpen first, you then have to deburr to get an accurate set.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

GF

I am also wanting to build a sharpener and setter, curious if anyone has any photos of ones they may have built in the past.

FeltzE

I'd venture that it may have more to do with the sharpener, stone, and speed of sharpening then anything else.

I have a cooks sharpener and with the right feed speed and an undamaged blade I can do a light sharpening without any appreciable loss in set, but if the blade was damaged and needs a serious grind then I'll loose more set.

I never set first with my grinder, I've tried it but didn't find any benifit. I do often over set my blades use them sharpen them and reuse without setting if there isn't any problems, I can often resherpen a blade 2 times without setting providing there isn't any damage.

My sharpener has a seriously larger grinder motor than the WM brand which allows for a faster feed rate under the wheel leaving less of a burr, I found that if I was leaving a burr then I needed to lighten the grind a little and/or increase the feed rate. The burr (indicates to me) that your heating the tooth and melting a little steel softening the point. To reduce this lighten the grind so the wheel scrapes off the steel without heating it, speed of the feed is important to keep the blade moving and not heating up. WM corrects for this a bit with the water bath which is quite effective.  I have to rely on feed speed.

Eric

Gilman

FeltzE,
I'll have to try speeding up my feed and see what it does for reducing the amount of burr.

Gilman
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!