iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FabTek bar tensioner piston seals

Started by deastman, August 27, 2016, 05:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deastman

What do some of you have for tricks to get the back-up rings on over  the brass pistons without damaging them?  Sometimes when I install them they might go a long time before leaking and other times they'll only last half a day. I've warmed them up in hot water and stretched them on over the round end of the piston and they seem to last pretty good. If I dont heat them and try to stretch them on it pulls them to thin and they dont last. If I push them on over the angled end of the piston it seems to do the same thing and makes a thin, weak spot in it. Then the part of the back-up ring gets pushed by the piston and leaks oil. The bar holder assembly where it slides to tension the chain has about a 1/4" of play in it from wear and would this have some affect on the seals not lasting?
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

lumbertick

Buy the new brass Pistons they come with 2 grooves for o-rings no back up ring anymore

deastman

Thanks for the info,  do you get the new pistons from Cat or somewhere else?
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Corley5

I get mine from a local hydraulic/machine shop.  He makes them.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

lumbertick

deastman

North River Energy

It's a slightly different application, but I recently re-sealed the rotor hub on an older Rotabec bucket.
The single lip seals were some sort of urethane or plastic, and stiff.  I heated them in oil, worked them on one by one, then re-heated with a hot air gun and clamped the whole mess with a compression-band ring compressor.
Seems to be holding so far.

Also take a measure of both the piston and bore, and make sure the dimensions are 'true'.

Thank You Sponsors!