iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer must be sick

Started by 4x4American, August 25, 2016, 09:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

My poor WM must be sick, it keeps barfing sawdust all over the place and it's making a mess.  It is getting tiresome to pick up.  I tried feeding it TUMS and Pepto-Bismol to no avail.  Have any of you had this problem?  Could it be the zika virus?

Any of you know of a fairly inexpensive way to get into a sawdust blower or cyclone suitable for daily use?
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 4x4American on August 25, 2016, 09:16:39 PM
My poor WM must be sick, it keeps barfing sawdust all over the place and it's making a mess.  It is getting tiresome to pick up.  I tried feeding it TUMS and Pepto-Bismol to no avail.  Have any of you had this problem?  Could it be the zika virus?

Any of you know of a fairly inexpensive way to get into a sawdust blower or cyclone suitable for daily use?

Inexpensive? NOPE!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Think about it, the only product that any sawmill produces is sawdust.   It drags a blade through a log and of course your actions direct that blade.

Lumber is a byproduct.   ;D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

killamplanes

I have a 2hp little one I don't know what make ur model its blue. Sounds like it could fly apart at any time been that way for years guy before me said it been like that since the 80's. Still works. I've got black field tile for plumbing.   But it works. I have seen little wons like it and I'm glad it's still ticking cause they are pricey. But I would replace it if it shot craps. Really helps. But mine probly gets 80%. But the bark from the chain log turner is probly the most troublesome thing I deal with. Expecially this time of year bark is loose. Falls on deck, hangs on everything gets under log etc.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

4x4American

I just found my inexpensive solution in another thread!

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 20, 2016, 10:01:43 PM
Quote from: Ox on May 20, 2016, 09:19:12 PMYou could always lay down a tarp and drag the sawdust off like a pile of leaves in the fall.  :laugh:
Yep, thats what I do. I have 2 / 5 foot wide conveyor belts I use. When they get full, i just hook up the backhoe to it, drag it out to the pile and never have to get off the backhoe. Dump it and drag to back again.

Boy, back in my day..

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: Magicman on August 25, 2016, 09:28:43 PM
Think about it, the only product that any sawmill produces is sawdust.   It drags a blade through a log and of course your actions direct that blade.

:D
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

YellowHammer

A couple weeks ago I saw a guy who saws every day and uses an electric leaf blower/vacuum for his dust collection blower.  He runs it through some of the cheap corregated 4 inch landscape hose into a pile.  I didn't see it run, but he says it works fine and has been for awhile. 

I'd probably go to craigslist and find a woodworker who's selling his dust collector system for cheap.  Take everything off but the blower and that will work fine. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

red

I am a strong believer that sawdust gets blown not scooped . But your mileage may vary .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

ozarkgem

keep an eye on CL. I bought a 2 hp industrial blower for 100.00. Made my dust collection system for my planer with it. It will suck your shorts off if you get too close. I have no doubt it would work perfect for the mill. I also have a 5HP blower I am going to use when I move my mill to a new location. Find a industrial surplus dealer. There are 2 I know of here. They always have that kind of stuff.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

JustinW_NZ

it pays to remember that fresh 'wet' sawdust vs shop dry dust is quite different..
the more power the better for sucking that wet stuff...

Cheers
Jw.
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

scully

It's like this forum reads my mind .  I am looking into getting a leaf blower .  I figure it will be a Stihl only because of the vast veriety of them I have seen . As for power I figure it will be the most powerful hand held they make but no frills like easy start etc.
I bleed orange  .

AnthonyW

Quote from: Magicman on August 25, 2016, 09:28:43 PM

I was beginning to wonder what I was trying to produce, sawdust or lumber. I jointed and planed some lumber a few weeks back and produced more than 350 gallons (10 35 gallon buckets) of shavings. That doesn't count the sawdust that was made to get to the rough lumber.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Magicman

It's sorta like a chainsawyer carving a bear.  He removes everything but the bear.  We remove the sawdust and leave the lumber.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

The pic in my avatar is the output of a homemade sawdust extraction system on my wm lt40. The blower is a 2hp 110 volt off a harbor freight dust collector. I have 2 of them, one on the mill and the other in my shop to handle shavings and dust. Only problem I have had is the on/off switch croaked on both. The real problem with blowers on a bandmill ain't the blower, it's flexible hose. The stuff has a short life. My system uses a couple of short pieces of 5 inch hose, but most of the plumbing is 6 inch metal stove pipe. There's a post in the sawmill section, with pics, and pics in my gallery..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Solomon

Just like an air conditioning system,  You're not adding cold,  You're removing heat.
Cold is the absence of heat or energy.
Ironicly, it takes energy to remove the energy.
Food for thought.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

WDH

Quote from: Magicman on August 26, 2016, 08:47:21 AM
We remove the sawdust and leave the lumber.   ;D

Yes, you just saws em and leaves em.  That is your MO.  You leaves the sawdust, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I will be leaving some Walnut lumber and sawdust tomorrow.  62 mile trip and I plan to be there before 6:00AM.   Not much smiley_sleeping

Billikenfan

I usually let it pile up.  That evening the cattle will come through and and smooth it out for me.  Sometimes when the flies are bad they'll lay right by the sawmill discharge and let the dust blow all over them.  I almost have to push them out of the way.

Scott
2015 Woodmizer LT40  Hydraulic 35hp
Mountain Home Firewood Kiln. Beaver Wood Eater Firewood Processer.  John Deere 260 Skid Steer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 26, 2016, 08:47:21 AM
It's sorta like a chainsawyer carving a bear.  He removes everything but the bear.  We remove the sawdust and leave the lumber.   ;D

smiley_scholar
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kbeitz

Quote from: pineywoods on August 26, 2016, 09:25:42 AM
The pic in my avatar is the output of a homemade sawdust extraction system on my wm lt40. The blower is a 2hp 110 volt off a harbor freight dust collector. I have 2 of them, one on the mill and the other in my shop to handle shavings and dust. Only problem I have had is the on/off switch croaked on both. The real problem with blowers on a bandmill ain't the blower, it's flexible hose. The stuff has a short life. My system uses a couple of short pieces of 5 inch hose, but most of the plumbing is 6 inch metal stove pipe. There's a post in the sawmill section, with pics, and pics in my gallery..

Grizzly tools sell some clear  flexible hose thats really good...
Black stuff not so...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

flyboy16101

I have had good luck with the harbor freight blower the only change I made was to cut the screens out since the long string like fibers I get some times will plug them up. The only other thing I do is to leave it run for a few minutes after I'm done to try and get it cleaned out.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

petefrom bearswamp

For me an electric blower would be great but the 1000 ft of elec cord would be a killer.
I just have my man scoop the sawdust away from the mill every so often.
Then when the pile gets too deep put the bucket on my tractor and move it away, far away.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Kbeitz

I needed to run some electric a few thousand feet from my home
to a camper a few years ago. I bought a step up transformer 13.000 volts
and a second step down transformer down to 115 volts.
Then I used only #12 wire between the two. It worked great.
I had all the power I needed for the camper...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!