iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor / car hauler ramps.

Started by Jeff, August 24, 2016, 05:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ox

Yessir, I chuckled a little bit too!  From being there and doing that.  Happens so fast your guts jump but the whole time you know you're OK but can't help but squeak a little when it happens.  :D
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Hilltop366

I'm always glad I have the extra low gears on my tractor especially when loading and unloading it on a trailer.

I agree with thecfarm the ramps would work better if they were flush with the deck and maybe a few feet longer to reduce the climb angle.

Jeff

I'll see if I can build a board stretcher  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

newoodguy78

You definitely have some rugged ramps there. One suggestion to take the curse off the top of the ramps is some metal that bolts to the end towards the trailer and extends beyond a bit to rest on the trailer. Similar to most of the commercially sold atv ramps but tractor approved so to speak. The video made me chuckle only because I've been there before. Those old fords are tough between the light front end and high gears it can get the blood pumping. I've found it more comfortable loading and unloading to back on and drive off especially when there is an implement attached helps to keep the front end down. My thoughts are offered to hopefully help not as criticism. Enjoy that old iron.

Jeff

:D  That reverse gear is a bit fast.  I think that is a good idea on some ramp attachment points lower on the back to get the top of the ramps even with the deck. my worry was the end of the board would be the weakest, that's why I had the channel bolted back from the end of the board a bit that drops in the existing slot in the trailer.

isawlogs

You could also cut the top of your ramp at an angle and make the end of the ramp less blunt and a whole lot easier for the tire to roll onto for unloading.

Have Tammy on the camera for the fetching and unloading of the tractor.  ;D :)

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Gary_C

After loading a lot of heavy equipment on trailers and lowboys there is one rule to go by when loading any wheeled equipment with a clutch. Once you start up or down, don't stop. It can be somewhat scary at times but have everything ready and lined up and just go till you have to stop. If you do get into trouble going up and have to stop, back off and start over.

Backhoes and anything with heavy implements attached to the rear go first up the ramps. Anything with tracks you must go up to the balance point on the break point and then let it ease over the hump slowly or it will jar your teeth loose when the front of the track crashes down on the deck.

The bigger equipment with hydraulic drives and automatic transmissions can be eased up and over any humps but still can spin out if you stop and go.

As far as your ramps, anything beyond the pivot or support point is irrelevant as far as strength. So go ahead and cut off the excess at the top of the ramp if you want.

But any connection like you have is where it hooks over something is hazardous without solid blocking at the rear of the trailer. And you can include soft ground at the rear of the trailer as being hazardous to hook over ramps, especially if you put blocking part way up underneath the ramps. Best way to make a ramp hookup is with a round eye and pin so there is no way for them to unhook by them selves. Couple of pieces of 4 inch channel bolted to the sides of your ramps with holes in the end and some way to connect to the trailer rear with a pin would work better.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

newoodguy78

Quote from: Jeff on August 29, 2016, 12:32:08 AM
:D  That reverse gear is a bit fast.  I think that is a good idea on some ramp attachment points lower on the back to get the top of the ramps even with the deck. my worry was the end of the board would be the weakest, that's why I had the channel bolted back from the end of the board a bit that drops in the existing slot in the trailer.
Does that model have a straight 4-5speed gearbox with reverse or does it have a second one that allows multiple ranges within the main gears? I hear what you're saying about reverse being a bit fast :D, it's not too often 1-2 miles an hour can make a man feel uncomfortable that is definitely one of them.

Jeff

I think you are talking about a Shermon transmission for the 8ns.  Nope. mine is only a 4 with reverse.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

r.man

That is why you don't stand near a running tractor.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Magicman

If I remember correctly the Sherman in our 8N was step up only, not step down.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

A bit of research shows that there was a Sherman "step down" transmission and also a "step up and down".  Sherman

And then I find another step up/down transmission.  Hupp
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

I can't count how many times I have loaded/unloaded machines. I agree with Gary in that one of the worst things you can do is to start/stop in the middle, going ether way. You did fine and got the heart rate up where it needs to be for a little while.  :D Next time have your ramps whittled down and get it all lined up and let it rip.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

newoodguy78

Quote from: Jeff on August 29, 2016, 03:48:31 PM
I think you are talking about a Shermon transmission for the 8ns.  Nope. mine is only a 4 with reverse.
You are correct in me thinking about the Sherman tranny. No shame in not having it, run what ya brung and enjoy it. With a little seat time running it will be second nature no matter what the situation.

steamsawyer

Quote from: customsawyer on August 29, 2016, 07:17:13 PM
I can't count how many times I have loaded/unloaded machines. I agree with Gary in that one of the worst things you can do is to start/stop in the middle, going ether way. You did fine and got the heart rate up where it needs to be for a little while.  :D Next time have your ramps whittled down and get it all lined up and let it rip.

That's pretty much the point I was making in post #22 about slipping the clutch and stopping.

I have a 1952 8N with the Sherman auxiliary transmission. It has three ranges, high, low, and direct. Way oversize wheels off of a 990 David Brown, can't remember the tire size. But the old girl will run nearly 30 mph on the open road in high gear if you pull the throttle down past the stop.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Corley5

Our 8N has the three speed Sherman.  We never knew it had three speeds until a few years ago when a guy stopped to check out one of our Farmalls.  He looked the 8N over and commented that it had a three speed Sherman and then showed where the 3rd speed was.  As I remember pushing the lever ahead is low, pulling it back is high and pulling it out away from the tractor is direct.  We'd always used it as a two speed and the tractor has been in the family since the mid sixties  ;D :) :)  The Sherman also changes the PTO speed.  We always ran the backhoe with the Sherman in high.  It's a Sherman backhoe.  The loader is a Wagner.  The tractor needs a ring and pinion currently.  We've got a complete rear end to swap in.  Just another project on the list.  I like 8Ns 8) 8) 

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jim_Rogers

When you find the correct spot on your trailer for the tractor to park, put some chock block in front of the front wheels. You may need to secure them to the decking somehow or make them long enough to push against the headboard. Then when you load it you just drive up until the front wheels touch the trailer chocks. This is helpful to know exactly where you park it every time you load it.
Good luck and keep trying until you get it fast and easy.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Roxie

I'm pretty sure @Weekend_Sawyer would approve of wood ramps.  Sure do wish I'd had a camera the night he loaded a tractor with steel wheels on steel ramps.  The sparks looked so festive in the night sky.   :D
Say when

Kbeitz

Quote from: Roxie on August 30, 2016, 11:58:37 AM
I'm pretty sure @Weekend_Sawyer would approve of wood ramps.  Sure do wish I'd had a camera the night he loaded a tractor with steel wheels on steel ramps.  The sparks looked so festive in the night sky.   :D

Yep steel wheel tractors can be a real trip to load...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Weekend_Sawyer

Ha! Now that we survived it I'll say that was some fun!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Roxie

You certainly held to the "once you start, don't back off" rule!   :D :D
Say when

Brad_bb

YEEEEEHAAAWWWW!

Now this is like the Dukes of Hazzard where they stop the action and Waylon Jennings says "Now folks, I'm not sure if cast iron was meant to fly like that?"

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!