iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone else on here like spending time at Hot Springs?

Started by SLawyer Dave, August 23, 2016, 01:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLawyer Dave

My mother loved going to Hot Springs, so that was something we did quite often as I was growing up.  Its carried over into my adulthood.  When I married my wife, she thought it was a "little strange", given her rather sheltered and fundamentalist Christian upbringing, (especially because many of the hot springs tend to be clothing optional).  We started at more the traditional "corporate" hot springs like Banff in Canada, and Sonoma in the Bay Area.  Now she is as addicted as I am.  We are going to Wilbur Hotsprings tomorrow as an early 50th Birthday Present to me.   http://wilburhotsprings.com/

I've been to some hot springs where you hike 5 miles to sit in a natural little pool of hot water in the middle of no where, small mom and pop tubs and small pools, to big commercial "spas".  Wilbur's is the best I have found yet.  Its about median price for what is effectively nice modern cabins with a queen bed.  Starts at $250.00 per night, but that tends to weed out the people you would just as soon not have to deal with.  When we first went there, we thought it was strange that they did not have a restaurant.  Rather, they have a fully equipped commercial kitchen, where everyone cooks their own meals. 

We soon found that was one of our favorite parts of the day.  It's pretty fascinating watching people from all over the world get together and cook beside each other, (luckily everywhere other than the actual soaking tubs are clothing required, so not have to worry about burning or being distracted by any of the naughty bits).  Some of these people are amazing chefs, and a lot of food and vino gets shared.  I'm bringing about 40 lbs of organic heirloom tomatoes and vegies out of my garden, just to share. 

I can't wait.  Soak in the water, get a massage, completely cut off from all electronic communications.  One of the best ways to relax I have ever found. 

Anyone else have a favorite?

timberking

I thought you were going to talk about Hot Springs, AR.  My old stomping ground.

mburrow

Quote from: timberking on August 23, 2016, 08:30:42 AM
I thought you were going to talk about Hot Springs, AR.  My old stomping ground.
I was thinking Hot Springs Arkansas too.

Sixacresand

Quote from: timberking on August 23, 2016, 08:30:42 AM
We rode through there last week.  Went up on the mountain and ate at McDonalds.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

dnalley

To each his own.  Actually i'm rather fond of my "fundamental Christian upbringing", especially the part of being decently dressed, especially in mixed company!  Nudity is kinda like Tommy Collins said..."it's not so much indecent as it is sickening"!  But you're absolutely right----$250 per night would certainly weed out the riff-raff, and I think that would work both ways!  Just kinda hit me the wrong way.  Actually the offense was taken in the way you intended it, so I guess you made your point, at least with me.  Dwight

reride82

Dave,
Hot springs are awesome! Since I'm in southwest Montana, and in close proximity to Yellowstone, we have hot springs everywhere. Ranging from the commercial ones like Fairmont to the little rustic ones like Potosi which lies on Forest Service and Renova which is on the bank of the Jefferson River. As for a favorite, it depends on my mood. Fairmont is by far the closest to me and the easiest, but its hard to beat a hike into a remote hot springs for a true reset.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

crazy

Quote from: dnalley on August 23, 2016, 10:56:32 AM
To each his own.  Actually i'm rather fond of my "fundamental Christian upbringing", especially the part of being decently dressed, especially in mixed company!  Nudity is kinda like Tommy Collins said..."it's not so much indecent as it is sickening"!  But you're absolutely right----$250 per night would certainly weed out the riff-raff, and I think that would work both ways!  Just kinda hit me the wrong way.  Actually the offense was taken in the way you intended it, so I guess you made your point, at least with me.  Dwight

I don't think Dave was trying to offend you or anyone else.  It his birthday and if he doesn't want to share his space with the guy in the picture I posted, there is nothing wrong with that.  While I find the $250 per night charge offensive, JUST KIDDING!!! 

If you can tell yourself that none of your thoughts or things you might say are offensive, you are a better man than I and I will be the first to say it.  I think our country has gotten soft and that is what offends me.  Do you think that when we go to war with the  Chinese, they will care if they are offending us, I doubt it. 
( admin edit:  offsite pictures not allowed.  Upload photos to your gallery for posting.)
Sorry to derail this thread.

SLawyer Dave

Just back from Wilbur's and had a great time.  I didn't realize that my post about going would cause any harm or hurt feelings.

When the internet started, one of the rules that I learned was to never post when you are mad or upset.  It never comes across the way you want.  A codicil to this, should be, careful when you are in a really good mood and just post without thinking how it could be interpreted.

Yes, I was not trying to upset anyone.  In hind-sight, I should have known that "riff-faff" would have come off badly.  I KNOW what I meant, but that certainly does not mean anyone else would.  I definitely am NOT one of the pretty people in life, blessed with a chiseled physique, I am rather short, dumpy and fat.  Oh well, such is life.  So I had no idea of body shaming, rather, for me, the "riff-raff" at a clothing optional place are those who either don't have the 'moral character' or 'maturity' to handle the situation.  Obviously, if you think that yours or anyone else's body is "sickening", than clothing optional is probably something you shouldn't try.  But then again, maybe beaches should also be off your list....just saying.

Some "groups" of Christians, (there may be others), believe that sex should only be for procreation.  Some believe the body is shameful, and that even married couples should not see each other naked.  Again, if that is what you or anyone else believes, so be it.  Again, what harm are they doing?  I may not agree, but I am not going to say what they are doing is Immoral or Evil.  I understand that for many of these practitioners, they believe that it is rather Satan that has created "the temptation of the flesh", and not God.  Again, faith is not rational, so rational debate doesn't really serve any purpose.  So I have to understand and accept that they don't interpret the world nor morality in the same way I do....and they have that right.  A right that I am willing, and have defended in court, (Child Protective Services can have a rather narrow view of what may constitute "emotional abuse" when it comes to raising children within a church).

My wife and I got to talking to a woman who came by herself, (something I hate to do and my wife never would).  We were talking about other hot springs we had all been at.  She mentioned that there was one a lot closer to where she lives, but she loves coming to Wilbur Springs because "Wilbur's is for grown ups", and she doesn't have to deal with being "hit on" constantly.   

Just to be clear, I have no problem with Fundamental Christian Upbringing, other than the "brush" that many of its leaders/ministers, tries to paint everyone else with.  Same would be true of any religion, cult, or dynastic imposition that only "one" way is ok, and everything else is "evil".  If you don't like it, think its wrong, don't want to participate, that is perfectly fine.  Just like if you want to wear swim trunks.  Everyone needs to be able to make up their own minds, but if it hurts no one.....why does it become a morality issue?  That was what I was referencing about my wife.  It wasn't because SHE thought nudity was immoral, it was because she was concerned what others might THINK.  That is a social conditioning that happens in many congregations, as well as many other social groups.  It is fear of being ostracized.  Again, if my wife really thought it was immoral, then that would end the issue.   I am comfortable enough in my own skin, (no pun intended), that if someone doesn't like what I am doing, (and can't reasonably demonstrate how it hurts anyone or anything), then they are entitled to their prejudices, and I can live with their disfavor.   

As to pricing, remember this is California.  As I mentioned, we are getting a modern, fully equipped private cabin, in the middle of a 1200 acre private nature preserve, in a facility that is currently running as one of the top 5 hot spring destinations in the WORLD.  Look at almost any "destination" resort in the U.S. or Canada, and you will be paying the same or more for a simple "hotel room".  Heck, that's why we went mid-week, 50% off the second night is a bargain.

Thank You Sponsors!