iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finishing Drywall.

Started by SasquatchMan, November 12, 2004, 07:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SasquatchMan

This kind of in response to some of the responses to cktate's least favorite hobby thread.

Hanging boards does suck.  Period.  But for finishing, a guy can get a sanding mesh that attaches to a shop vac, for the first couple of coats.  No dust.  For smoothing out the final coat, a wettish sponge works really well.  No dust.  It doesn't make mudding a pleasure, but it makes it bearable.  And no dust.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

WV_hillbilly

I'd still rather hang the board than finish it  .As was said in the other thread  I think finishing it  ranks right up there with painting, plumbing and insulation .
Hillbilly

Furby

I'll second that WV_hillbilly! ;)
Except for the plumbing and insulation part, I like doing them. ;D

WV_hillbilly

Wallpaper too  .   I found out that if you would like to have a good spat with the better half  try hanging wallpaper  together  . I tried it once and said never again .
Hillbilly

Furby

Well for the most part it's either going to be wallpaper or paint, so ya going to have to pick one. ;D
Other wise just let her do it and don't EVER complain about it. ;)

chet

It's a toss up; drywall, paintin', or da infamous # 2 backhoe.   :-/
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

etat

Yep, ain't hardly nuthin worser than sanding drywall.  Referencing back over yonder I'd a druther change diapers any day!  

Just cause you started out making it sound like it was easy,,
QuoteBut for finishing, a guy can get a sanding mesh that attaches to a shop vac, for the first couple of coats.  No dust.  For smoothing out the final coat, a wettish sponge works really well.  No dust.  It doesn't make mudding a pleasure, but it makes it bearable.  And no dust.
, yeah right.  Make no mistake if ya ain't never done it before, it ain't near that easy!

Of course if I'd a heard that advice I MIGHT not a messed up on that first room by building that mud up to high on them seams!  :P ??? :).

Looks like I'd a know better from my earlier learning experiences with mixing and putting on bondo! ::)

Mistake number one.   Buy one gallon of bondo, along with that little bitty tube of hardener, decide right off the bat that ain't no way that's gonna be enough hardener and go ahead and buy a BIG tube of it while yer there.

Mistake number two, Pretty much ignore all directions and make sure you put a good sized dollop of hardener on that wad of bondo.  It'll REALLY amaze you when it gets rock hard, even before you get through stirring it!

Mistake Number three, Once you get a batch mixed up you can work with just go ahead and build it up good in the hopes that you can sand it smooth without adding more.

Whoops, Sorry, I have GOT to learn to start sticking to the topic!

Hey CHET, I ain't hardly drove no back hoe before, only just that little one that hooks to the back of my tractor.  I'm a thinking that for me it'd be FUN a running a real one for a while!

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

DonE911

Just to set the record straight.....  

I'll hang it... but I aint finish'n it...

I've watched others finish drywall and it seems effortless for them.For me its an exercise of my rage control...  Even if I can control my temper long enough to finish it, there is always the noticed seam, tape or mudline...   I do okay on covering all the screw holes though.

ScottAR

Around here, a backhoe is an 6-8 ton machine that digs trenches.  

A #2 backhoe is a shovel.   ;)
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Timber_Framer

There's equipment for diggin holes, shovels is for leanin on ;D
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

junkyard

Shovel = Backhoe with a wooden boom. Wood more appropreate for this forum. By the way have any of you guys ever ran a cable machin?    Maybe an old half swing.
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

chet

A #2 backhoe is a shovel.   ;)

Same around here.    :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Engineer

I'll say that I don't mind finishing drywall at all.   The key is in the technique.  I find it to be somewhat effortless, and I'm a rank amateur.  As long as you have the proper tools, it's easy.   Wide knives, damp sponge means no sanding, put a bit of dish soap in the mud to reduce air bubbles and make it easier to spead.  

I have three floors of my new house to drywall and finish this coming spring, and it's one of the things I'm actually looking forward to.

Furby

Engineer,
I can give ya a pratice run in a couple of weeks if ya want???
It's only one room, and maybe the basement. ::)

etat

I MUST be slipping, and that's a fact!  I stepped into that number two backhoe thing with both feet didn't I?  I can't even remember the last time that happened! :D :D

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

chet

Paschale

It's funny what people like and don't like.  Me:  I don't mind finishing drywall at all.  In fact, I can actually enjoy the process.  Call me CRAZY!  For me, I like the challenge of getting the putty stuff on as smooth as I can in the first place, and then sanding it so no one can tell at all that there was ever a joint there.  I'm a "detail" kinda guy.  I enjoy troweling and finishing concrete for the same reason.  
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Furby

Hey Paschale,
When was it you said you could stop by???
 ;D :D :D :D
Still have some concrete to pour, do you lay bricks???
You can have the mudding job if ya want. ;)

etat

Hey Furby, that Paschale's a stand up guy for offering to come by and giving you lessons and helping you on yer remodeling job ain't he! ;D

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Paschale

QuoteHey Furby, that Paschale's a stand up guy for offering to come by and giving you lessons and helping you on yer remodeling job ain't he! ;D

The way I see it, is that if I'm givin' lessons, I gotta stress that the most important thing is to learn by doing.  So I'll show ya, Furby, then oversee the proceedings, with some well-timed pointers from the sidelines on how you could be doing it better.   ;)  

I have a feeling that would end up with me having a glob of mud right in the face.   :D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

jimc

Haven't seen my favorite drywall mudding trick in this thread so here goes for what it's worth.
Get at least a 75w flood light and aim it (parallel) along the area to be mudded, the closer and brighter the better. This makes any little thing show up. You'll find that if you have a good size finishing trowel, you can get by with almost no sanding and few coats. This also works well for bondo, concrete, and poly coating woodwork. Showing up all the ripples & bumps etc while the stuff is still workable takes most of the profanity out of it ...........Helps with the sanding too.
Good luck

beenthere

That is a neat trick.
Almost (that is ALMOST) makes me want to try mudding again.  :)

But hope I remember the procedure when doing some of the other things you mentioned. Troweling concrete would be a good one (if one wouldn't just work on one spot too long, and not move on to the rest of the floor before it became too dry).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

QuoteI have a feeling that would end up with me having a glob of mud right in the face.   :D

That depends on how fast you can duck! ;)

Shingles and drywall were delivered today. I said I don't mind hanging the stuff, and I don't, but I did forget how big of a pain hauling the stuff around is. :o

Good thing I didn't get any 5/8" or any 16'er's!  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!