iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carbon vs aluminum

Started by WV Sawmiller, August 21, 2016, 08:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Bow season starts in a few weeks and I am going to try carbon arrows this year instead of aluminum for a change. I shoot an old Darton Apache compound bow set at about 60 lbs. Bought a dozen and half arrows yesterday and started sighting in my bow a little this afternoon. Main reason to change was my arrows, mostly practice ones, sometimes get bent. I figure with carbon they are either straight or broken.

As expected I had to adjust my elevation because of the lighter arrow but windage was fine. I'm still using my 125 grain heads and practice points. Probably should shift to lighter heads and may do so later if I am not satisfied with these. They are cheap but have always worked well.

Anybody had any major issues one way or the other with carbon vs aluminum arrows.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DelawhereJoe

If you think you mite have damaged a carbon arrow, just flex it some and listen for a crackling, theres nothing more terrible then having an arrow splinter and go into your hand like a frog gig.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

pabst79

I shot the superlite and superslam arrows from Junior High through a couple years ago, they were the large diameter aluminum arrows that Chuck always advertised, then I switched to carbon. If I could find my old rest and a dozen nice arrows I'd go back. The carbon arrows have given me no benefit that I've noticed, if anything they are a little less forgiving at a distance then my old aluminum arrows were. Could be because I don't practice like I should anymore. :rifle:
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

WV Sawmiller

P79,

I don't know what ranges you are talking about. Almost all my shots are under 20 yards and I doubt I'd even try past 30. Which reminds me - I need to update my redneck range finder (flagging tape at measured 20 yard distance from my shooting house and ladder stands). They work fine for my applications.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Czech_Made

I went carbon quite few years ago, I usually buy box of six for the season, lose or destroy some in target practice and have 3 - 4 left for the hunting season.

I even tried full metal jacket arrows - did not like them -  simple carbon is good enough for me.

I shoot 2004 Browning Rage, not the newest bow out there, haha, but it gets the job done.  I used to have it at 55 pounds, but few years ago I had to have cams replaced and now it is about 60.  Arrows fly just a little over 200fps.

pabst79

By distance I mean no more than 30, seems like even at 20 yards if I twitch the arrows end up a foot away from the mark, but again that's probably due to me not practicing enough. The carbons are definitely faster, which seems to be the goal I guess. I tried the ACC alum/carbon arrows, they were nice, but at 160 a dozen combined with my poor shooting, my yard just ate too many.  :D
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

drobertson

Don't hear of many fellow Dart on shooters! Hard hitting bows!  Either way works I still shoot aluminum with mine, carbon with the hoit,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ron Scott

I shoot aluminum arrows with the bow just because I have so many of them and have the equipment sighted in for them. When I run out of aluminum arrows, I will probable switch to the carbon arrows, since I've taken a liking the Carbon Express arrows with the crossbow. They are pricey though. ;)
~Ron

timberking

Shot both of course starting with aluminum.  I buy 1/2 doz every year and don't get highest priced.
Matthews set for carbon and haven't switched.

YellowHammer

I've shot both aluminum and carbon over the years.  My latest bow being a Parker, I initially trialed it with both aluminum and carbon, and it definitely preferred carbon.  Although pretty much any bow will shoot through a deer, these things go through with a zip and dig in the ground with energy to burn.  I much prefer carbon, flatter trajectory for reasonable ranges, easier elevation estimation, and I've never regretted shooting one at a deer. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

YoungStump

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 21, 2016, 08:06:56 PM
   Bow season starts in a few weeks and I am going to try carbon arrows this year instead of aluminum for a change. I shoot an old Darton Apache compound bow set at about 60 lbs. Bought a dozen and half arrows yesterday and started sighting in my bow a little this afternoon. Main reason to change was my arrows, mostly practice ones, sometimes get bent. I figure with carbon they are either straight or broken.

As expected I had to adjust my elevation because of the lighter arrow but windage was fine. I'm still using my 125 grain heads and practice points. Probably should shift to lighter heads and may do so later if I am not satisfied with these. They are cheap but have always worked well.

Anybody had any major issues one way or the other with carbon vs aluminum arrows.

I would personally stick with the 125 gr heads rather than go lighter, I feel that having more weight forward will do good things for arrow flight as well as penetration on game. On my latest batch of arrows I have a 100gr brass insert plus a 125gr head, makes for a heavy arrow but I love a hard hitting setup.
The only time I have shot aluminum arrows for deer was when I was hunting with an ancient Bear compound that my dad used for his first deer. Otherwise I've always shot carbon, I practice out to 80 yards and don't see any reason to switch, although I've been tempted to just to be different.  :)
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

Thank You Sponsors!