iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw mill as splitter?

Started by DaleK, August 20, 2016, 05:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaleK

Does anybody use a bandsaw mill for processing firewood? Seems like it should work for splitting logs but I'm wondering if it would be worth it, re binding, turning etc
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Dave Shepard

Before I had my hydraulic splitter working, I used my mill to split some really knotty hard maple logs. It works great, but I don't think I would make a habit of it. Kind of like using a Rolls Royce to pull a hay rake.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dan_Shade

I've done it, I've had the cut pieces freeze together, and also, it will mold and not dry properly if it's stacked.   I found the disorganized pile to be more efficient.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

gspren

I've read that split wood dries faster than sawn wood, not sure if it was because of the bending and twisting of the splitting or because of the rougher texture which would be more surface area.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

woodmills1

I tried the sawmill to make it small enough for the firewood processor.     Nails, nails, nails
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!