iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is wrong with this picture?

Started by moosehunter, August 19, 2016, 05:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

That log is way to big for my mill!

Thank you Forestry Forum knowledge base. Started with 18" diameter small end x 26'. Finished 8" x 16" x 26'. First of 13 that are too long for the mill. This is the heaviest though.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

lshobie

Did you pull the blade out of the log and then reposition and cut off the rest?  We just did a bunch like that.

Looks great!
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

YellowHammer

Ain't nothing wrong with that picture! Good job
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Rougespear

Care to comment on "how-to" of the milling process?
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

123maxbars

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

LeeB

Quote from: Rougespear on August 19, 2016, 10:28:04 AM
Care to comment on "how-to" of the milling process?

Try here. https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/tips/tips.cgi?display:1061208316-32360.txt

You can find this a whole treasure trove of other stuff in the extra link ( https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php ) located at the top of page. ;)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Carson-saws

moosehunter...now THATS determination Sir.  Great job!
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

submarinesailor

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

red

That log makes your sawmill look skinny . . . Great  Job  !
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

rl

it was obvious real quick what was wrong with that picture, but you won, good job  I've done two 35 ft' on my twenty one ft mill  had to support end of log with tractor bucket   getting two sides flat is alot of work but hard to find 35 feet 8x8 anywhere else
rl

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

killamplanes

Ever thought of getting into sawing crane mat logs.. :D :D
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Brucer

I tried sawing like that a couple of times, but it was a pain. So I got smart and added a 6' extension.

Then I found myself sawing like that again, so I got even smarter and added another 6' extension.

And wouldn't you know, it started to happen again ::). DanG! I give up.

2 - 8x12x36' timbers on a 33' mill.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

customsawyer

I don't think you can ever have a mill long enough. They always seem to want longer than your mill. Good job on getting it done.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!