iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This Old 225D Timberjack

Started by Puffergas, August 18, 2016, 09:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffergas

One turned up about 40 minutes from here. The front cradle pins are extra extra loose, brakes need work and the lower steering pin should be replaced. The winch works great and the 353 seems good. Tires are healthy. The rest, I have my fingers crossed. I'm sure I'll be up to my eye balls with repairs but I'll just have to suck it up and fix it.

As time goes on I'll have questions for you all......!!!!

Right now we are slowly pulling out some firewood.

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

coxy

not bad little tlc and good as new  looks like its got the pr75 rears   when I first saw the pics it looks like a skidder that was down my way even the fairlead roller was worn the same but there is no dent in the  cage where you get in  :)  there is a red 360 tj on cl that was a buddy of mine with the same dent In the cage where I fell a tree on it   guess I have a thing about felling trees on a tj :D

Puffergas

Quote from: coxy on August 19, 2016, 06:57:53 AM
not bad little tlc and good as new  looks like its got the pr75 rears   when I first saw the pics it looks like a skidder that was down my way even the fairlead roller was worn the same but there is no dent in the  cage where you get in  :)  there is a red 360 tj on cl that was a buddy of mine with the same dent In the cage where I fell a tree on it   guess I have a thing about felling trees on a tj :D

Close, west side if NY.

I have no idea what rears it has. Are these any good?

She likes to play in the woods...☺

Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

coxy

they are Rockwell pr 75s I have them in a case 300 skid king  only broke 2 planetary in 20 years parts are pretty cheep and easy to get     did you buy it

Puffergas

Yes, I bought it last week. The man delivered it the next day. Been pulling out some firewood for the  Chomper.

The seller said that the seals in the winch need replaced. The first two outing I didn't see a leak on the winch. The third time out I noticed a leak. The next time out it was an oil blow out! It came with a parts winch so I took that one apart to see what the pancake cylinder looked like and how to take it apart. That clutch pancake cylinder has a chewed up brass bearing that rides on the shaft. The shaft is chewed up.

Unbolted the winch on the 225, slide it forward and have it blocked up right now. Might need to move it more before taking it apart... maybe tomorrow night. Wish me luck!!!!

Can't find any online manuals for the winch, oh well.. 😢
Jeff

David-L

I believe I posted a manual of the winch some time ago on this site. Nice looking Jack, love those arch fenders. Those are like gold when turning corners and bringing the twitch in. Lets here it, Detroit music that is. Good luck.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Puffergas

David-L, thanks for the parts list! I'm ordering parts now.

Jeff

coxy

AlexHart

Puffergas

I just got back late so I'll look tomorrow. Parts are ordered!
Jeff

Puffergas

Tires are 18.4 - 26

The cylinder kit showed up. That's the good news. The bad news is that it's for the brake cylinder, I think. Oh hum.

The press is over kill.

The blow out.

Oh well, I'll find something else to do this weekend.
Jeff

Puffergas

The right kit showed up.

Used the press to install the packing. The 3" PVC fitting is the right diameter but this one is too short. Found a longer pipe adapter later.

The other end.

No leaks...!!!! Well, not there anyhow..

Somebody torched the holes out on the angle iron, where the bowtie bolts on. That made the bowtie/clutch-cylinder set too far from the clutch.!!!! Used some washers and fine threaded bolts to help keep it in it's proper place. Next time I'll weld in a plate with the right sized holes.
Jeff

Neilo

The seal kit that failed originally and the one you fitted are the aftermarket design that doesn't have the deep U seals. Maybe that is all you can get now.

I don't think the aftermarket design is as tolerant of cylinder wear or alignment.

Neilo

Puffergas

My supplier had a hard time finding this kit, I was happy to see it show up. Maybe there is a place that can supply better parts. If so, I would like to find the right parts supplier. I've read some where that there are better bolts to buy for adjusting the clutch discs. I'm sure I'll need that some day. My goal is to have a rebuilt winch in stock and ready to swap out when needed. I have a good start with the parts winch that came with it. Did I mention that I have an obsession with spare parts? I want to know this machine inside and out and there is a long road ahead of me but that's part of the fun.

I think a few things caused the failure. A hammer mechanic worked on it. The bowtie was beat up and the clutch cylinder was assembled with a hammer. I could see hammer marks on the seal holders. When I first tried out the rebuilt cylinder there was too large of a gap and I bet the cylinder was close to blowing out. Ouch... That's when I noticed that the angle iron bolt holes were torched out a bit and the bowtie was setting too far out. So it was a bit more work to close the gap and use what I had on hand to nurse it together but next time I'll be the wiser. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I have two rings that center and space the clutch cylinder, one from the part winch. I noticed that one was a lot thinner than the other so I choose the thicker ring. Do these position rings wear or can we buy different thickness rings? This is the ring that is angled on one side to match the angle on the clutch cylinder. Dang, I lost the photo.....
Jeff

Neilo

Those alignment rings don't wear. They are stationary. Maybe a production change between years of winches?

Puffergas

Hmmmm, hope it wasn't an angle thing and not a thickness thing. Maybe some cylinders are machined with a steeper angle. I don't want to know now..
Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!