iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulics on LT40

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 18, 2016, 09:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on August 24, 2016, 03:38:11 AM
You might have had a spring break on one of your brushes in the hyd. pump motor.

This is highly possible Jake. I'll let you know.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 24, 2016, 09:12:16 PM
If you are still running a motor with brush problems, that new motor will not be a spare.

I'm not talking to you.  :D :D :D :D :D

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scully

I cooked 1 of my motors , it was my fault , and a huge couple of red oaks .  I put a new motor on but still say my hydrolics seem slow for a super HD . When I have some down time I am going to look into this in detail . Or maybe I have just gotten so good at milling that everything just seems to slow ! 8)
I bleed orange  .

Magicman

I have a newer (not rebuilt) and an older rebuilt hydraulic motor in my sawmill.  They have a completely different sound and I suspect different "strength".  I should have never had the old Monarch motors rebuilt.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 24, 2016, 09:12:16 PM
If you are still running a motor with brush problems, that new motor will not be a spare.

Got my new motor put in today. Hydraulics are faster than ever......now I'm thinking about getting me a spare motor.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Removed.

What I did found.  ;D

Magicman

Those bright copper spots where the windings weld to the commutator are dead giveaways that you have only scrap.

4x4American

Lynn if you have to be there by 6am tomorrow you better get off to bed! lol lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

What causes this kind of failure? I'm sneaking up on 900 hours, and have not done anything to my pump motors.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 26, 2016, 09:47:10 PM
What causes this kind of failure? I'm sneaking up on 900 hours, and have not done anything to my pump motors.

Stubbornness. (And being too preoccupied with the next $300)  ;D

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on August 26, 2016, 08:09:45 PM
Those bright copper spots where the windings weld to the commutator are dead giveaways that you have only scrap.

Interesting. Could you elaborate on that a bit?

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 26, 2016, 10:10:52 PM
Quote from: Magicman on August 26, 2016, 08:09:45 PM
Interesting. Could you elaborate on that a bit?
Heat will cook all of the oxidation off of copper.

Magicman

Quote from: 4x4American on August 26, 2016, 09:11:01 PM
Lynn if you have to be there by 6am tomorrow you better get off to bed! lol lol lol
I did and I was.  I was set up and sawing before 7:00AM after gassing up (forgot) and driving 62 miles.   ;D

Ga Mtn Man

Any thoughts on what caused this motor to fail?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on August 28, 2016, 10:36:09 AM

A major factor in over heating is prolonged use at lower than required voltage to the motor which results in premature failure.

My mill is coming up on 1800HR. The only motor I have replaced brushes in is the lift motor and that was BEFORE I upgraded ALL the drive motor power supply conductors along with available electrical capacity and reserve. I have 2250 amps of battery reserve capacity along with 220 amps of charge capacity when the mill is operating. The last time (march) i cleaned the motors there was very little nasty residue and everything in side was in good shape.

I disassemble and clean the motors once a year.   

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on August 28, 2016, 10:36:09 AM

Low voltage..
Over worked...
To small for the job.
Something binding up...
Brushes not makeing good contact...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

When my sawmill was back at woodmizer, the tech lowered the RPMs by ear so that it "sounds better" but now it idles way low.  I like the way it sounds better myself, but it's a 3 cyl and I was under the impression that they idle high to keep balanced better.  Should I be worried about low voltage and having to replace motors prematurely?
Boy, back in my day..

ladylake

Just turn the idle stop screw on the pump in a little, will not change the high speed.  Those 3 cylinders  do idle a lot smoother with a little more rpm.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Read your alternator output at idle speed.  It should be ~14.5+ volts which will keep the battery topped off. 

This is one of the reasons that I installed a permanent digital voltmeter.

4x4American

Yea I'll just check the voltage, my accuset II has a built in voltage meter.  Whenever I use hydramabolicals at idle the voltage drops to ~9VDC  off the top of my head.  Yea I know how to adjust the idle on the fuel pump...I might "accidentally" turn in that full power fuel screw while I'm over there...turn out some more ponies lol
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

Glad ya gotter fixed there David.

I had a few bouts of using tools on my old mills hydraulic pump and motor. Got old real fast for me. I built a pineywoods pump(3hp 220v comp motor love joy coupled to a 4 gpm pump) and WOW! Now I have HYDRAULICS!

I love it!
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!