iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch for trailer

Started by clintnelms, August 18, 2016, 07:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clintnelms

I'm looking to put a winch on my trailer to load logs on it from the side just like Magicman has setup on his trailer. Hopefully most of you have seen it from his cabin build thread. Anyway my question is if you can wire the winch to be able to plug in to the trailer plug on my truck for power? Or do you have to have it hooked to its own battery?

pine

Unless it is a very small winch it will pull more amps that the trailer plug can tolerate.  Blown fuses and/or melted wires will be the result. 
Even the smallest electric winch that I know of requires more amps than the trailer plug can take.

Brad_bb

Agreed too much current for trailer plug.  Warn has cable and harness/plugs for running from Vehicle battery to the rear of your truck.  The cable is more like battery cable.

Wranglerstar did this to his truck.  You can see the connectors from the 2:00 minute mark to the 3:00 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/0RPcn1YdBNw
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

Mine is an 8K MileMarker and it's simpler for me to just use a "pony" battery than to even think about running welding leads, etc to the truck battery.  I can easily load a trailer load + before the battery needs recharging.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Fork lift plugins... and BIG wire...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

kelLOGg

Like MM, I parbuckle, too, with a Milemarker with its own battery. The amp draw is ~300 amps at max pull (9k) so a dedicated battery is a must.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Kbeitz

Best is a gas powered Winch...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

In some circumstances maybe, but gas powered would be unacceptable for me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clintnelms

That's kind of what I thought. I figured it would pull too many amps. Magicman, I think you said yours was 8k lb winch. Do you think that size is really necessary? Could a 2500 or 4500 lb winch be used? I mean all you doing is rolling the log up the ramp. You're not really picking it up. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on it, but I need a setup like yours.

Magicman

I started with a 3500 Warn but it failed while parbuckling some fairly large White Oak logs from this tree:  LINK

The 8K MileMarker was on my Tundra, so I did an upgrade.  The Tundra got a 9.5K, the trailer got the 8K, and the 3.5K got junked.   ;D

kelLOGg

If the log is a perfect cylinder you could get by with less but when there is asymmetry or a knot or bulge the winch is doing a partial dead lift when such hits the ramps. I can hear my winch change its sound when it is straining under such circumstances.
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

fishfighter

Now, if only I could find a good used trailer at a fair price. People around here want a arm and a leg. I'm really thinking of just building a trailer. Guess I need to price what it is going to cost. ;D I been turning down way to many free nice pine logs that I have a need of that don't grow on my place.

kelLOGg

I got a great deal on my trailer. $450 BUT it needed lots of work; it had mobile home axles which I eventually replaced. If you're OK w/MH axles you can get by pretty cheap. I had to replace all the flooring but no problem to a sawmill owner. I like to weld as much a saw so repairing/modifying it was fun. Good luck on your search. Prowl around my gallery to se it if you want to.
Bob

fishfighter

I'm kind of thinking two 5,000 lb axles being I would have to travel about 50 miles one way avg for pine logs. Don't know what the rating is on MH axles.

pineywoods

Quote from: fishfighter on August 19, 2016, 05:07:28 PM
I'm kind of thinking two 5,000 lb axles being I would have to travel about 50 miles one way avg for pine logs. Don't know what the rating is on MH axles.
The 2 MH axles on my home-made 16 ft trailer have a tag stating good for 7000 lbs each. They will be too long and have be cut down to legal length...

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishfighter

7K rating on a MH axle? If I build a trailer, the axles will be below the trailer decking. I would have no problem to unload. Have a Case 580C. ;D

goose63

I ran a 4 wire trailer wire from the battery to a plug on the back of the pickup 2 wires on the pos and 2 on the neg. My 7.3 turbo has 2 battery's in it so the one on tne trailer is chargeing when I drive
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

clintnelms

Finally got the winch installed after spending all day trying to make a mount from a couple old lawn mower blades. Found out it's *DanG near impossible to drill a hole in a lawn mower blade. Finally just gave up and drilled the holes through the trailer frame and mounted it. Not the way I wanted to install it, but oh well.

Kbeitz

lawn mower blades are brittle and dangerous to build things out of.
It dose not take weld very good at all. It's high carbon steel.
It's a good way to get hurt. But if you must drill it use a cement bit.
They come dull and you need to put an edge on them but they will
drill through anything if you get them sharp.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

BUGGUTZ

If the trailer has brakes, it should have a 7 pin connector.  There will be a +hot wire in there. Run that to the winch battery and it will charge off the trucks alternator.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

CharlieA

Quote from: BUGGUTZ on August 20, 2016, 08:54:25 PM
If the trailer has brakes, it should have a 7 pin connector.  There will be a +hot wire in there. Run that to the winch battery and it will charge off the trucks alternator.

Going this route, it would be wise to isolate the battery.  Last thing you want is a weaker battery drawing from a strong one and leaving both flat.
Good, Fast, Cheap... Pick 2.

clintnelms

This is a little old fellas. I've already mounted the winch. I just hook up the battery as needed. Works great.

Thank You Sponsors!