iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulpwood

Started by BOWHUNTERZ7, August 18, 2016, 05:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOWHUNTERZ7

Hi,  I am looking for places in western PA that is taking red pine for pulpwood. My logger started cutting a few months back but can only sell the big pine and is looking for a place to sell the small stuff.

Thanks for any help.   

danbuendgen

Quote from: BOWHUNTERZ7 on August 18, 2016, 05:36:27 PM
Hi,  I am looking for places in western PA that is taking red pine for pulpwood. My logger started cutting a few months back but can only sell the big pine and is looking for a place to sell the small stuff.

Thanks for any help.

Not sure on the red pine markets, but all over the pulp markets are flooded. Who knows when they will come back. No one uses paper products these days... That's the "green" revolution for ya..
GOOD LUCK
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

CTL logger

Quote from: BOWHUNTERZ7 on August 18, 2016, 05:36:27 PM

Thanks for any help.
Good luck I haven't been able to move pine pulpwood for a year. The mill says they aren't going to ever buy it again.

BOWHUNTERZ7

That sucks, too bad I cant sell pine firewood. Haha

Puffergas

Maybe the roots. I forget what that is called.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

BOWHUNTERZ7

Ending up moving everything down to 6".  But now I got a bunch of small pine spread out that I can't move.

nativewolf

A more common practice today would be to have that chipped for fuel wood or other low end fiber buyers.  You're lucky to have sold it down to 6"
Liking Walnut

BOWHUNTERZ7

I'm surprised there is no use for pine these days in PA.   Heck we are looking in Ohio and west Virginia now since Ohio logging companies have brought all their pulpwood into PA.

I'm to the stage that we are going to cut the small stuff and leave it lay.  It's ashame

Andy1981

Red pine make great campfire wood if you are located near a campground. I own a campground and have been selling mostly red pine  for the last 2 summers to my customers . It splits easy , dries fast and burns good and people have been pretty happy with it.

g_man

Quote from: BOWHUNTERZ7 on March 11, 2017, 09:47:54 AM
I'm surprised there is no use for pine these days in PA.   Heck we are looking in Ohio and west Virginia now since Ohio logging companies have brought all their pulpwood into PA.

I'm to the stage that we are going to cut the small stuff and leave it lay.  It's ashame

I just let it lay. Cost more for me to move it than it is worth here. I just consider it fertilizer and wildlife habitat. Doesn't take long to look better. Here is a small fir stand after I cut it. Took out solid wood down to 5" then loped stuff up a little.

Here is the same picture 3 years later

Clark

BowhunterZ7 has not enjoyed my advice in the past but I have to interject and say that letting red pine lay amongst or near other red pine is a recipe for pine beetles. If you're clearcutting, it doesn't matter. If you want to keep the larger red pine, then you need to figure out something with the smaller trees.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Tarm

Clark: I thought timing was important with a red pine harvest. If trees are cut after killing frost and before spring thaw are the stems/tops still a breeding ground for bark beetles? Or would they have dried down to a point that the beetles could no longer use them?

Clark

You're right Tarm.  That summer picture of g_man's made me think of summer harvesting pine. On timber sales we give the logger 2 weeks to remove pine once it's cut. For my climate I want that happening June-September and depending on the weather, possibly in May and October too. Winter cut pine poses very little threat of hosting pine beetles the growing season.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

g_man

Actually my "summer Picture" was taken on Dec 2nd  :laugh:
I am glad it looked summery enough for you to think of the beetle issue. I didn't think to mention that.

gg

repmma

Quote from: g_man on March 15, 2017, 07:17:51 PM
Actually my "summer Picture" was taken on Dec 2nd  :laugh:
I am glad it looked summery enough for you to think of the beetle issue. I didn't think to mention that.

gg

Explains the lack of leaves in the top picture!  :D
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

Riwaka

Are there no economic baits and traps to use for beetle control?

Thank You Sponsors!