iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Revealing a Maple slab

Started by John Mc, August 18, 2016, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

I though tsome of you might appreciate this video: Revealing a Maple Slab

The guy's shop is just a few minutes down the road from me. He makes some awesome furniture out of his slabs.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Brad_bb

How is he cutting them?  some sort of chainsaw mill?  If so, we need more pics and explanation.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

John Mc

He's cutting them on the second generation of a sawmill he designed himself. Basically, he lays the log down and uses an overhead hoist to lower a custom-made 20 foot long "chainsaw" bar onto it, cutting the slab lengthwise along the trunk. He designed this specifically with the idea of cutting up large, gnarly "heirloom" trees into slabs. I don't know if he'll allow pictures of it or not. I'll ask him.

You can see his website at Vermont Tree Goods. He's really quite the artist with his furniture. I believe he will also sell the slabs. Worth stopping by his showroom if you are in the Bristol Vermont area (about 45 minutes south of Burlington). If you ask real nice, he may even show you his workshop.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Here's a butternut he's working on now

OffGrid973

That is a beautiful piece of wood.  Is butternut available around Jersey on the east coast?  If not anyone up for trading for walnut or maple slabs?

I would love to build a table with something like that.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

John Mc

There is a blight of some sort attacking Butternut around here. Not sure how much onger it's going to be around.

thecfarm

How big is that butternut. It's looks 3 feet across.  :o 
I have some,been growing ever since I can remember. No way they are even 2 feet across.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Quote from: thecfarm on September 02, 2016, 06:38:59 PM
How big is that butternut. It's looks 3 feet across.  :o 
I have some,been growing ever since I can remember. No way they are even 2 feet across.

I've not seen it in person. Judging from the counter/shelf in the background on the left (aren't counter tops usually 30-something inches high?) , I'm guessing it beats your 2 feet by a good bit. There is a video on the Vermont Tree Goods facebook page of him stacking slabs from the tree. That might give a better indication of scale.

John Mc

The Oct/Nov 2016 issue of Sawmill and Woodlot had an article about Vermont Tree Goods
Free download here

oakiemac

I was wondering if it was the same guy that was in the sawmill magazine. Looks like a great outfit.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Thank You Sponsors!