iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmill Service and Repair

Started by rweldon, August 18, 2016, 03:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rweldon

I am new to the world of sawmills. My wife's dad, who passed away 10 years ago, has a Wood-mizer LT 25. I unfortunately never had the opportunity to meet him or learn how the mill operated from him. The mill was used about 6 years ago and that was the last time it was used. A couple of weeks ago we got the motor running and that is working with no issues. We are hoping to find someone in the Seattle area, we are north of Seattle in the town of Arlington, to come out and service the mill itself and maybe give a quick rundown of the saw to us. We are really looking forward to getting the mill running again. The mill is not on a trailer and it would be to difficult to attempt to trailer it somewhere.

Thanks for any info you may have.

Richard

tnaz

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Richard, and glad y'all are getting the mill back into operation.
I'm no help with your mill but someone will be along that can give a little info.  You can always call
Wood-Mizer.

Good luck,

Terry

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Richard!

Contact Wood-Mizer and see if they have a Wood-Mizer owner near you, I'd bet there are a few in your area.

If they don't have an owner in your area, maybe you could get on the field-service route and a rep would come by at a later date!

If there is a Forestry Forum member near you, they'll likely chime in right here on the forum!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, rweldon.

I am too far away for hands on help, but online help here on the FF is just a click away.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rweldon

Thank you everyone for the response. I did talk with Wood-mizer, they do not offer the field service route in the Northwest. They do offer service from their Oregon location but the price per mile just to get someone up to where we are at is huge, looking at close to $1000 just in travel fees before they even begin the service and repairs that might be necessary. They are going to send me all the manuals so I might be able to follow those in order to replace the parts that I know need to be replaced and then go from there. I will keep looking to see if I can find someone local that can help with service. Thanks again.

AnthonyW

I have an LT25 (still on the trailer). So go ahead and post some pictures and some questions. There is much that is common to all bandmills, lots common to all Wood-mizer mills, and what isn't common I may be able to help with specifically.

Let's start with:
What year is your mill?
What is and isn't working?
And how about a photo of "what is this thing for"? (I had lots of those questions)
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

rweldon

Thanks for the reply. I will be heading out to the property to hopefully make my first cut this weekend. Everything seems to be working, we may replace the rollers and we will be replacing the blade. If anything comes up that I am unsure of I will take photos and ask some more questions. Thanks again.

Our goal is to slab up an old cedar tree that is in the mill. My father in law used part of that tree to build my wife's desk for the office before he passed, we hope to us what is left to make our dining room table.

Ox

Just wait for your manuals and follow them carefully for a tuneup.  Then afterwards, take pics and ask questions if you need anything else.  Soon you'll know that mill inside out and will be able to help others. 
Someone nearby just might still pop up who's willing to help ya.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Onthesauk

We've had a member up on Whidbey Island who use to post a lot although haven't noticed anything recently.  Very proficient cutter, maybe do a search.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

4x4American

Welcome to the forum, anything you need to figure out can be learned here.  Don't be afraid to ask questions, that's the best way to learn. 
Boy, back in my day..

Sawmill Man

If there was great sentimental value in the cedar log on the mill I would remove it and practice on something else first. Saw that cedar up later when you have figured it all out.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Mt406

I was in Edmonds last weekend. I have a relative that is in poor health and maybe have to go back for a funeral here soon.
If I do I will look you up.  I am still green with a bandsaw but I have cut 35000 feet this summer with my new lt35
use the manuals and ask questions of these sawyer veterans they have good information

Thank You Sponsors!