iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First question.... Is it good to eat ?

Started by Kbeitz, August 18, 2016, 01:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Next question... What is it ???
Fungus of what kind.
There was a large white oak tree here last year.

Size reference...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Do they make a fungus identification book like the tree identification books you use in horticulture class?  If so, that's what you need! ;)  Wow, so bright and colorful, I'm thinking that is a warning!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pabst79

Looks like chicken of the woods, edible but tastes kinda strong when they get that big. Don't eat on my advice though, have a shroom expert identify before eating. The color and shape are a dead giveaway, but they usually grow on the base of a live tree, so I'm only 90% sure.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Kbeitz

I think it's growing on what left of tree roots from the oak tree.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

cliffreaves

Looks like it could be jack o lantern  mushroom.   Poisonous and bioluminescent.  Need a picture of the gills or false gills and are the stems hollow or not.  Almost positive it's not hen of the woods.

LeeB

The only two shrooms I can positively identify now days are morels and oysters. I used to be able to spot another more elicit one in my youth but those days are long past. Even with a good book it can be hard to positively identify some of them. Proceed with extreme caution.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

cliffreaves

If you go out there now and look at them, you might see this:

LeeB

Maybe if you have an ultraviolet light.  ;)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

cliffreaves

Quote from: LeeB on August 19, 2016, 02:11:53 AM
Maybe if you have an ultraviolet light.  ;)

Sounds a little crazy, but they actually produce their own light.

LeeB

I have to say some of those elicit mushrooms I eluded to in my earlier post made me see things like that but I never saw a mushroom make lights on its own.  :o :D

pabst79

Hen of the woods and chicken of the woods are completely different in shape and color, but often confused as the same. Cut one open, the flesh should look like cheese, kinda a pale yellow color. The underside should be a solid yellowish color with small sections of pores. It doesn't look like Jack o Lantern but if it has gills on the underside it definitely isn't a type of polypore mushroom and you should wash your hands and don't eat. The cap looks too thin to be chicken of the woods, take a pic of the underside and it will help identify it.

pabst79

I emailed a pic to a buddy who is a dedicated shroom hunter, he just called and said don't eat! He thinks it could be Jack O Lantern or Chanterelle, one is very deadly, one is very edible. I always email him a pic before I eat mushrooms so I don't end up in the E.R. Without a pic of the underside there is no way to know for sure.

red

The color looks to orange . I have been to some Mycological Association events  there are many mushrooms that look alike . But one is Poisonous.  So you have a 50 / 50 chance.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

cliffreaves

The orange is right for chanterelle, but i eat them pretty much every year and they usually don't look like that.  Jack o lantern is often mistaken for chanterelles and it just looks like jack o lantern to me.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pabst79

Your pic of the gills show that the gills are true but are forked at the edges which should mean its a false chanterelle, still not edible but not as poisonous as Jack o lantern. It is for sure 100% not edible unless you like being really sick... smiley_sick smiley_sick

Kbeitz

Thanks...
Think I'll pass on eating it...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

petefrom bearswamp

20or 25 years ago a professor at Cornell, a mushroom expert died from eating a deadly one.
Duh?
The only one I eat is Bears head.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Kbeitz

This is my best picture of s mushroom...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

This is just a little part of a large mushroom circle in my yard...
Also known as fairy circle, elf circle, elf ring or pixie ring.
In France they are know as sorcerers rings.
In German they are know as witches' rings.
Dutch superstition claimed that the circles show where the Devil set his milk churn.
In Tyrol, folklore attributed fairy rings to the fiery tails of flying dragons.
European superstitions routinely warned against entering a fairy ring.
French tradition reported that fairy rings were guarded by giant bug-eyed toads that cursed those who violated the circles.
In Europe, entering a fairy ring would result in the loss of an eye.
Fairy rings are associated with diminutive spirits in the Philippines
Many folk beliefs generally paint fairy rings as dangerous places, best avoided.

He wha tills the fairies' green
Nae luck again shall hae :
And he wha spills the fairies' ring
Betide him want and wae.
For weirdless days and weary nights
Are his till his deein' day.
But he wha gaes by the fairy ring,
Nae dule nor pine shall see,
And he wha cleans the fairy ring
An easy death shall dee.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pabst79

LeeB

I recon I'm doomed then because I cleared out 2 of them last week so my old half blind horse wouldn't graze into them by accident.

Kbeitz

Quote from: LeeB on August 21, 2016, 11:35:56 AM
I recon I'm doomed then because I cleared out 2 of them last week so my old half blind horse wouldn't graze into them by accident.

They will be back unless you removed the ground also...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!