iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

which hand powered boring machine

Started by Momatt, August 17, 2016, 01:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Momatt

Hello,  I am interested in timber framing. I've done some very limited work previously, hand hewing logs and mortising and tennoning together a mailbox standard.  I drawbored it together and it was fun and I think you could hang a beef off it.  I plan to do a small cabin at my farm now that I have a dozer and a way to move the logs to the mill.  I've collected or made (I'm a hobby blacksmith) all the chisels and slicks drawknifes, etc. I need, but am interested in a boring machine.  To those of you familiar with them, which ones were the best in terms of models or manufacturers?  I'm willing to invest the money in a good one, the buy good once approach.

Thanks

Matt 

Jim_Rogers

All boring machines do the same thing, that is bore holes. Some have metal towers and some are almost all wood.
The top of the line boring machine is the Miller Fall machine. We have sold them from as low as $450 to as high as $900. The higher the cost the less wear on the gears and the better condition.

We have some nice machines for under $300 on hand ready to go.

I always say you can ride down the street in a Ford or a Chevy or you can ride down the street in a Cadillac. It's up to you.

Go to for sale section and look at our list, there.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Momatt

Brad_bb

Yes Millers Falls is the top, Boss "double eagle"  is second, but others work too - snell, swan... The important thing is condition.  Gears, handles, missing parts are the big things.  Make sure the bearing bores are not sloppy or it will lead to gear wear and damage.  Damaged wood seat is an easy repair, handle replacement can be more difficult.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!