iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire

Started by tule peak timber, August 16, 2016, 10:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

I took this pic 3 minutes ago of a fire 107 miles away from my front yard. This fire started this morning at 10 am. Unreal............................Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WV Sawmiller

Rob,

I hate to see it and hope everyone is okay. Its a pain not but sometimes a fire yields positive results in the years to come.

I wish you had some of our daily rain and I know the folks in Louisiana would be glad to share then we'd all be happier.

Thanks for sharing. Stay safe.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

tule peak timber

Thank you VERY much. At my ranch we have day after day of 100 degrees and less than 1 inch of rain  so far in 2016.....All of the native trees are dying and I  see a sad future ahead. Not a lot I can do.... Rob

tule peak timber

from zero to 15000 acres in 8.0 hours.

drobertson

I thought about you guys after seeing the news, hate to see it happening so often these days,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

My concern and my heart is with you Rob.  We all live in situations where we can not control the weather, but floods, tornadoes, and fires are especially tragic.  Hopefully your fire can/will soon be contained.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

I hope you are still safe. These fires seem to spread so fast . Saw a interesting blurb on the news that they expect to see 1300 people die in LA  from the increased smog created by all the fires this season. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

Thanks for the well wishes. As far as TPT- it is just a matter of when....The destruction from a fast moving fire like this is heart breaking. Over 30,000 acres at dawn this morning. Rob

Roxie

Thinking of you...stay safe. 
Say when

ppine

The concept of fire still scares people.  Reduced harvesting and 125 years of fire suppression have really messed up forested public lands in the West.  The USFS has become the US Fire Service.  There is a lot of money now going to fire suppression, and some to fire rehab but there is little going to fuel reduction projects by comparison.

Society and Federal agencies tend to resist funding of fuel reduction.  In many places de facto management by wild fire is really what is happening.  In the Pine Nut Range behind my house we have had several recent fires on BLM land.  All of the fires have been contained after they have "run into old fire scars."   We are getting caught up in some areas via unplanned out of control wild fires. They can accomplish what management apparently cannot. 
Forester

buzywoodliff

It's been dry here too but not as bad as you guys have it.... Praying for rain Brother!!

yukon cornelius

Rob we are praying for you as well! There is a long distance between us but I will anything I can to help out if you need  anything. Keep us posted.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

tule peak timber

The weather conditions are changing for the better this morning, and that is a good thing. We need rain.  Rob

Magicman

Your updates are welcomed Rob.  Thanks.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

oakiemac

Sad to hear about the fire. I was in Northern California about a month ago and it was hot and dry. Most of the pines were dying. Very sad to see.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

thecfarm

I can not imagine a fire that size that would burn that many acres.I have been around 2 fires here. One that was next to my land and one just up the road. But very small fires and only about 30 acres was burned. I see the fires on the news and feel bad of the ones that lose thier homes.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

Rob, you and your neighbors are in my thoughts and prayers.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

curdog

Hope things are calming down in your part of California.  We've got a few guys heading to California this morning,  but I'm heading to Oregon instead.

tule peak timber

Yes things are turning for the better. Thanks  all....Fire is one thing we fear on my little mountain top ! Rob

tule peak timber

Some pics from my place of other fires.

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Left Coast Chris

So sorry to see all of the destruction down there.   Glad you are o.k.    Hope you have plenty of defensible space around your place, it looks really dry!

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Ljohnsaw

We had the two really big fires (70,000+ acres each) last year.  This year, they caught some bozo who they think started fires in the same area around Clear Lake as last year.  Called the Clayton fire.  Very fast moving, 3,200+ acres.  This one wiped out the little town of Clear Lake.  Hope they string this guy up - what a wacko.

The Chimney Fire is over 27,500 acres and threatens the Hurst Castle along the central coast.

I think the fire the OP is seeing is the Blue Cut fire and is now at 37,000 acres, 80% contained.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

ppine

Fire is still the great enigma.

The USFS has figured out how to conduct prescribed burns most places. That is helping along with increased harvesting.

Meanwhile many other agencies like the National Park Service, continue to screw thing up royally. Our own Nevada Div of Forestry recently set some prescribed fires in early October after a totally dry summer.  Two week weather forecasting showed several major storms on the horizon with serious winds.  NDF claimed the fires were out. They weren't. The wind came up and we lost 22 houses, some of the best in the State.  The homeowners are suing NDF. They don't answer their phones.

I met with the local Ranger District of the USFS. They gave me all the right answers. They said they offered their help to NDF but to no avail.  FS only sets prescribed fires in the fall, "after there is snow on the ground."  They are competent. The NDF clearly is not.
Forester

Papa1stuff

I don't mean to make lite of this thread but just look at the heading! ;D

FIRE

Started by  ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Thank You Sponsors!