iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grampa's Gun

Started by Jeff, November 12, 2004, 07:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Getting my things around for Deer season I came accross one of the few things I have that belonged to my Dad's dad.

Its a H&R 35 rimfire. I have a couple of the old copper cased shells somehwere but they are so green and corroded you could probably crush tthem in your fingers.  Anybody ever seen one of these? Is it worth anything other then to me?  The date on tha Barrel says May 23, 1876.  Also, wondering how to get the cylinder pin unstuck. Someone before me, Probably Dad, had some pliers on it by the looks of it. I tried a little rust reaper to no avail.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

I have one that looks very similar.  It is a Smith & Wesson .32, dated in 1871. Belonged to my Great-Grandmother. :)  It's not in as nice condition as yours, appearance-wise, but it works. I wouldn't dare fire it, though. I'll try to get a pic, soon as I get new batteries for my camera.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Timber_Framer

Most H&Rs I've seen are top breaks. The only pistols that I've come across similar to yours were .22s worth between $50.00 to $80.00. A mint condition top break might net you $225.00.
Also I have never seen a .35 cal H&R. There are plenty of .32s and .38s but???
Do you have a model number? Because it looks a lot like a 1906 but it has an octagon barrel and the 06 has a round barrel so you either have a weapon that worth less than $100.00 or a rare pistol worth $???.00
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Jeff

I found this under the grip, but it appears to be the only other numbers.

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

To take the cylinder pin out it appears that you first need to take that pin or screw out that goes through the frame in front of the cylinder.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Timber_Framer

...and you are sure it's a.35?
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Jeff

I have always been told it is a 35. ??  

Texas Ranger

Jeff, a little more information and I'll be able to run it for you.

Length of barrel to nearest 1/4 inch, number of rounds in the cylender, exact wording on barrel. What is stamped or molded in the grips? Only came in .32 or .38 caliber, oh, except one that came in .41.

Depending on your answeres, it is a Model No.1, No. 1 1/2, model 2 1/2, model 3 1/2.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

Oh, yeah, on being a .36.  Some one must have miked the bore, .38 is a .357 bore.  A carry over from the old black powder .36 days to designated a different round.

Jeff

I am sure after looking at the bore it aint a 35.

It is a 7 shot
Bore is JEST slightly over 1/4 inch
Barrel length is 2 and 7/16 inches

Timber_Framer

I've gone through my books and done a few internet searches and I cannot find a .35 H&R. However I have not found an H&R pistol that matches the one you have in the pic...it may be an odd model. I've posted a query at a gun forum I'm on and it shouldn't take long to get an answer from an expert so I'll let you know what they say.

Texas Ranger

Jeff, probably a .32 caliber, and the book lists one like this in that caliber, with 7 chambers.  Model 2-1/2.

But, one more question, did you just measure the barrel outside the frame, or from the forcing cone inside the frame to the muzzle.  If the former, measure from forcing cone to muzzle.

Jeff

I measured outside the frame. Back to one of my original questions, The pin that holds the cylinder in wont pull out. It is chewed up from somebody trying. Any suggestions on how to get it to move?

Jeff

Bro. Noble

It's held in by the pin to the right.  It may be spring loaded (the little pin)  or may need to be driven out.  You gotta deal with it first.  It's probably spring loaded and you just need to push it in at the same time you pull on the cylinder pin.  Both may be stiff so you might need to tap on the little pin/button.

Jeff

yes its spring loaded. It pushes in and pops back out freely. No resistance other then the spring. Holding it in and trying to pull the other out is, I am sure what to do, but the long pin doesnt even quiver.

Bro. Noble

You mentioned that you had used 'rust reaper'  you need to get some on the end of the pin back of the cylinder.  Can you get to it in front of the hammer?  by removing the grips?  is there a side plate on the side you havn't shown us that could be removed to give access?  After getting 'rust reaper' on the back of the pin (if you havn't already)  try tapping in on the cylinder pin while pushing in on the button,  that might possibly loosen it ar allow the rustreaper to penatrate better.  Use more patience than force

Jeff

When I push the little button, and try to move the pin, you can make the pin AND the cylinder move. Apparently the pin is seized in the cylinder. The frame is solid with what looks like wone small screw possibly holding the hammer assembly in, and two itsy bitsy pins holding in the trigger?

Bro. Noble

Soak her up and give her time.  Maybe tap on it once in a while.  Bring her down and we'll pop off a few rounds,  maybe that will loosen it up ;D

Jeff

I bet that would do it. I sure would like to say I shot my grand dad's gun. He died almost 30 years before I was born.

Texas Ranger

Jeff, moving back to the Model 1.  Model 1 has a 3" barrel, Model 2-1/2 has a 3.25 inch barrel..  No. 1 more valuable by a hundred bucks or so.

Bro Noble has the answer on the pins, the pin is frozen in the cylinder, probably from black powder residue in the old days.  Put the whole thing, less the grips, in a can big enough to hold the pistol and enough penetrating oil to cover up to stuck parts.  Every day or two, rotate the cylinder while holding on the pin, GENTLY tap on the end of the cylinder rod.  you need to let the thing sit for a while to melt 50 years or more of corrosion.

Texas Ranger

Model 2 1/2.  aprox 5000 produce between 1878 and 1883.  very good condition $150.

Jeff

Interesting but irrelevant. It was my Grand dads. :)

Furby

Timber_Framer

QuoteIt's priceless!
No doubt!
I sota thought that it wasn't going to be something to base your retirement on ;)
I found exactly what TX Ranger found about the pistol, nothing more.
I hope you get that pin unstuck.

Thank You Sponsors!