iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quick question on chain tensioner MS-880

Started by TimT, August 14, 2016, 05:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimT

I have an MS-880 Magnum with 47" and 59" bars..... I notice two holes for the tensioner on both sides of the bar.... Which one am I supposed to use with these long bars?.... seems like the bar would be very close to the sprocket to use the front hole "the one closer to the nose"...or is this related to the size sprocket on the saw?
The other day I put the 59" on the saw and broke the stud/pin off the tensioner. The saw is now at the shop for a new one and a complete check. I think the saw had issues with this before I got it as the previous owner sent me the parts of a bent tensioner screw and the gears. I suspect the one on the saw might have been bent or partly stripped before I got it.I noticed some binding in the screw the couple times I tightened the chain.
The saw shop owner said with big bars you have to make sure the bar nuts are tight and that you MUST raise the bar nose and help guide the bar during tightening. I guess its quite a load on the tensioner otherwise. 

Thanks.

Ada Shaker

The reactive forces placed on the bar tensioners are indeed quite high if you can imagine the lever action placed on them. With the longer bars it important to have the bar end and chainsaw clean when mounting the bar to avoid any grit/dust. Pays to support the bar tip during final tightening. Always pays to check chain tension after final tightening as quite often I find it may over tension the chain. I find a 1/2" drive socket does a better job than the standard box spanner that comes with the saw. The xtra hole may b 4 when the bar is flipped?.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Thank You Sponsors!