iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw collar

Started by Brandon327, August 14, 2016, 02:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon327

I am trying to make a hydraulic limb trim saw for my tractor. I am looking for a saw collar / arbor. The blade I am looking at using has a 1" arbor hole. The hydraulic motor has a 1" shaft. Any ideas where I can find something like that.

BigZ La

Pics Please, plenty as I would love to do the same. Thanks

longtime lurker

Any good engineering firm should be able to machine down saw collars.

The main thing to be aware of when machining is that collars should not have a flat bearing surface against the sawblade. They should in fact have a slight concave to them - around 0.002" to 0.003" - so that only the outer edge touches the saw.

The other thing is to make the collar as wide as possible given the size of blade / depth of cut limitations. The wider the collars the greater the bearing surface, which will lead to longer sawplate life.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

BigZ La

If you don't mind me asking, what blades are you planning on using.

Brandon327

The blade I am looking at using is a Freud 16-5/16" 60 tooth blade. It has a 1" arbor hole in it. I am trying to make it a direct drive if I can find what I am looking for or get a machine shop to make it.

Kbeitz

I would be looking for a blade with a bigger hole.
You want to keep the blade up over the motors shaft if possible.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It is common to have the fixed or fast collar perfectly flat, while the loose collar is slightly dished so that when the nut is put on, it will hold tightly at the outer circumference.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!