iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log arch

Started by edsaws, November 11, 2004, 05:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edsaws

Does anyone have a picture of theirs. Now that my mill is complete I need to build somthing to get the logs to it. I did a search but couldn't seem to find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

BW_Williams

Here's mine, it's holding up pretty good for $50

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=Business;action=display;num=1017008092;start=460

We have skidded 24" by 16' Doug fir and P. Pine logs with that ATV.  Good luck, BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ex-racer

This was made in a few hours out of a couple of car front spindles and some scrap iron. It lifts the log of the ground by "lever action".
You would have to build it higher than this to handle bigger logs, but the lever lifting action would be more difficult for one person.

I normally haul them out full length, and buck them to length at the mill site. I lift the butt end with the tractor and use the "arch" for the small end only. That's why it's so low.

Ed

rebocardo

ex-racer,
I like the idea of leverage on your design because you probably end up with a lot less dirt ground into the log.

rbarshaw

Here's one that I built that I've carried a 24" by 18' syp on, it lifts the log completely off the ground and hooks to a ball hitch on my car, if I'm going any distance I'll wrap a chain around the whole thing to make shure the log stays put.

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=sawmill;action=display;num=1073776066;start=0
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Kevin

Here's another --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/photo/123480482/123482521GjPgle

Dakota

Dave Rinker

Dakota

Dave Rinker

shopteacher

This is one I built this summer.  Took the design off the link FDH showed. Spindles were off a car carrier the rest of the arch is 2 1/2" heavy steel tubing. The tongue is 2 1/2" x 4" tube. The pieces for the tongue were legs off of some type of equipment and the plates were already welded on and drilled. I decided to leave them and put 4 bolts through the mounting holes. It can be taken apart at that point if it were ever warranted to do so. I've only moved one large white oak log with it, but it didn't seem to be under any stress at the time, so I guess it will hold up. Hope you notice the delightful color I applied. ;D

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

edsaws

Hey everyone thanks for the pics. Now alls i gotta do is get me some spindles somewhere and start creating me one of them log movers. Shopteacher how  long is your rig? I am probably going to build somthing along that line, so I can hook it up to my truck.

shopteacher

I believe it 9' overall length and 38" between the legs of the arch.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

chet

QuoteHope you notice the delightful color I applied. ;D

Looks like Bibbyman's favorite, yellowish red.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!