iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you say "STRESS" ??

Started by Percy, August 13, 2016, 01:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Magicman

Yup, they will sometimes do that.  I love it when the customer is there and watching.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Percy

Quote from: Magicman on August 13, 2016, 01:14:10 PM
Yup, they will sometimes do that.  I love it when the customer is there and watching.   :o
:D :D :D Customer says "Huh!! I thot those mills cut in a straigfht line!. Howd you do that?? Can you make about 20 more like that?? I wanna build a barrel."

Czech_Made

I brought home white oak that was leaning against another tree for at least two years.  Some of the edges I milled were curling up right behind the saw bar.

scully

Thats gotta be close to some kind of record for stress ! smiley_inspector
I bleed orange  .

Percy

Quote from: scully on August 13, 2016, 05:28:43 PM
actually I  think the stress record is the head table at a wedding  of a Jewish buddie of mine who married a Catholic girl.  :D

Dave Shepard

I've had pignut hickory do that. We call it bending the hard way. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Plantation Pine is notorious for doing that.  The lumber will do such also.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Carson-saws

Percy.... :D :D...I like the reaction folks have when it "POPS"
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

AnthonyW

I wonder if those are the logs HD and the like have milled for their stores. A friend once made the comment "those are the board for the gazebos and pool decks".

I recently cut a 12" diameter 10ft long poplar. The stress was to the side. Just before I finished the pass I looked back and the end had crocked at least 2" toward the load side. (sorry no pics)
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Dave Shepard

A friend of mine was swing 30' red oak timbers on a circle mill with a long carriage and the stress was so bad on one log, the board bowed away from the log far enough to push the clutch lever on the powet unit. That made for a bit of a mess.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

OneWithWood

When milling some aspen I had a board actual catapult across the barn   :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

4x4American

I seen a video of some foreign sawyers sawing some kinda wood that they cut in a little ways and then stop and put a chain around the log so that when it pops it don't break stuff. 

And people think it isn't a stressful job...
Boy, back in my day..

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Percy on August 13, 2016, 06:47:32 PM
Quote from: scully on August 13, 2016, 05:28:43 PM
actually I  think the stress record is the head table at a wedding  of a Jewish buddie of mine who married a Catholic girl.  :D

Try a southern Southern Baptist marrying a Canadian Irish Catholic... Now you're talking stress, especially since the Baptist was divorced (long story....)

Herb

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

You haven't seen stress (called growth stress) until you sawn eucalyptus species.  Sometimes the stress is so bad that the log will have on the end three big cracks before the log even hits the ground.  For this reason...growth stress...some species are always sawn with two saws- -twin band or Skagg saw are two examples - -to keep the stress balanced. I have also seen a metal strap put across the end of every piece of this lumber so that large end splits could not grow excessively.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on August 15, 2016, 08:06:00 PM
You haven't seen stress (called growth stress) until you sawn eucalyptus species.  Sometimes the stress is so bad that the log will have on the end three big cracks before the log even hits the ground.  For this reason...growth stress...some species are always sawn with two saws- -twin band or Skagg saw are two examples - -to keep the stress balanced. I have also seen a metal strap put across the end of every piece of this lumber so that large end splits could not grow excessively.

yip, I spend my life fighting with this stuff and couldn't agree more.

when felling the trees listening to them hit the ground and watching (and hearing) the butt end quartering itself is impressive.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

5quarter

I've got a couple very large white oak logs in the yard right now that I wish would just quarter themselves... :D ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

dgdrls

I've not cut many, and certainly none moved like that.
As the Doctor indicated, you have to see eucalyptus move.

D

Thank You Sponsors!