iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hemlock

Started by Peter Drouin, August 12, 2016, 09:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Some Hemlock came in, Trucker dropped his logs and went to the next landing,  :D :D
move_it

What He left was some of the nices Hemlock that I have seen In a while.

20'
The 24' ones are nice

One of more loads  8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Looks good. That bark is still coming off?????
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DbltreeBelgians

I'm so jealous of you guys that have hemlock.  Sure looks like a nice load. When I built my barn for my draft horses back in 2001 I sided it with hemlock B&B siding that I got off a guy who brought it in from Pa. I'm planning an addition on my barn and I sure wish I could get a load of hemlock for siding. We don't have any around here.
One thing I did notice though is hemlock is the worst splinters I've ever had. Gloves are a must.

Brent

4x4American

Nice sticks for sure..and a nice rig too.  Get any more pics of it? ;D
Boy, back in my day..

Satamax

Hi everybody!

Peter, one question, if i may ask. One truck load like this, how much does it cost? on your side of the pond?

I'm just trying to sense what i will have to learn soon over here.

If ever someone could tell me what a truckload of tamarack costs ;D

Thanks and sorry for the hijack.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

xlogger

A neighbor that a place up in the NC Mts. told me last week that the Hemlocks are dying up there. Is this something taking over all the Hemlocks?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

4x4American

I noticed that some hemlocks in my area have a white mold looking thing growing on the butt rght by the dirt.  Not sure what that is, it don't taste very good.
Oh and yea the porcupines eat the bark off the hemlocks and kill the trees
Boy, back in my day..

newoodguy78

Quote from: xlogger on August 13, 2016, 05:58:46 AM
A neighbor that a place up in the NC Mts. told me last week that the Hemlocks are dying up there. Is this something taking over all the Hemlocks?
I don't know for sure how widespread they are, but here in the northeast the wooly Adelgid is having its way with the hemlocks.  Dang bugs have nothing but time.

petefrom bearswamp

Woolly adelgid is not here YET.
I'm 99 percent Hemlock.
Just looked at some logs yesterday and they look good altho not very big.
I also marked 10 mbf yesterday AM for harvest when I can get a logger to cut them.
Peter, how prevalent is shake in your area.
Lost an entire log to excessive shake on Thursday.
Sometimes it doesnt show up for a while.
My sales have slowed significantly in the past 2 weeks, must be our cool northern weather.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

[/quote]
I don't know for sure how widespread they are, but here in the northeast the wooly Adelgid is having its way with the hemlocks.  Dang bugs have nothing but time.
[/quote]

I don't like that bug.

When I come across nice wood, I try to get it all . Sometimes the log quality is not the best of some jobs. I bet you all get the best when you can too.  :D :D
The logger called this morning and ask if I want 28,000 BF that's there. A small pocket of wood. I said sure. And I gave him cut list. Nice to have a logger cut after he asks you what you want.  8) 8)

pete fbs
I get some shake, I take off BF or cull the log.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Kbeitz

That why I built my mill...
I have lots of dying Hemlock...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

alanh

Most hemlock in my area is dead and gone.....most of what I see has shake.....

Engineer

I'd love to get my hands on a few thousand BF of hemlock logs.  I'd rather side my garage shop with hemlock than white pine, but good sized hemlock is not common in my area.

Percy

Those are nice lookin logs! Im not sure if its the same breed but hemlock grows wild around here. Can have stress in the butt log pieces but cuts like cheese when its green.  Ours looks similar to those....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Bruno of NH

Nice looking logs hemlock man :)
I'm sawing some too (not a nice as your logs) but sawing some nice spruce logs full of pitch :)
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

scully

I've been logging for a couple days in a small grove of Hemlock , I hate how allot of them have a huge bow in them ,but around here thats normal . I thinl we will have almost 10,000 feet and I get to keep atleast 3000 for my self for helping .
I bleed orange  .

Peter Drouin

More Hemlock,

More 24'
Straight as a flagpole, small end.

20'
The last load was 7200 BF.
It is very sad thing when we lose the trees. North or South Pine, Hemlock, Hardwood or soft.
Maybe someday I won't have Hemlock to cut. :(
A&P saw Mill LLC.

petefrom bearswamp

Lookin good for you Peter.
logs are Kinda still peeling there I see.
I too deduct for shake when scaling, but sometimes it doesnt seem to show up for a period of time, and sometimes it appears in the middle of the length of the log.
My loggers will cut to my specs too.
I like to get 21" and 25" stuff, but not many truckers here can handle that 25 ft stuff with a tri axle. and I dont know of an 18 wheeler with a loader nearby.
What do you have to pay there for logs?
Here is .30 to .325 per ft. doyle, my scale and I guess i am fair as i havent had complaints.
I m sure that I'll be retired before the Hemlock runs out here, my target is at age 80, 1 yr and 2 months away.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on August 16, 2016, 08:02:13 AMI'll be retired before the Hemlock runs out here
Is there no replanting, etc in place?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

newoodguy78

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 15, 2016, 10:00:46 PM
More Hemlock,

More 24'
Straight as a flagpole, small end.

20'
The last load was 7200 BF.
It is very sad thing when we lose the trees. North or South Pine, Hemlock, Hardwood or soft.
Maybe someday I won't have Hemlock to cut. :(
Man that is some dandy hemlock for sure. Are the 20'ers for timbers? It's hard to comprehend what the woods would look like in my area without hemlocks. Really makes me wonder what the actual purpose of those little bugs actually is.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on August 16, 2016, 08:02:13 AM

What do you have to pay there for logs?

.25 for 8' to 16' .275 for the 20/ 24' Int.
2 loads $3700.00

I found some shake,  :D

19" top and x 24' long. 380 bf Int
With a 4" shake top end, The other end.

8" shake What would you take off Pete?

All the logs are for inventory, newoodguy
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

with 8" of shake shouldn't you deduct an 8x8 or maybe 8x9 timber out of it?
Boy, back in my day..

petefrom bearswamp

4x4, in a perfect world deducting for an 8x8 would work, but shake is a fickle thing.
Sometimes follows the same growth ring, sometimes skips to another.
Peter, I just deduct for what my gut tells me when scaling.
I would probably deduct 1/3 volume for that 8" shake.
At the prices I am paying my loggers do not have complaints with  my scale.
When scaling the 21 foot stuff I scale as tho there are 2 10' logs and add 1 to 2 " for taper for the larger log.
Your price international probably compares pretty closely to my price Doyle.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

More,

And #3 rock Maple. ::)

It has 3 piths  :o :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

:o I was counting them before I scrolled down enough to see your tag.  That one will be interesting to see what is inside.   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!