iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sick spruce

Started by DPatton, September 16, 2016, 08:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPatton

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the spruce tree on the far left of this picture :-\ and what can be done to save it? I has been like this for a few years now  ::) Probably time I tried to do something about it!
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

DPatton

Ah rats! My photo didn't upload....... :-[ I will try again.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

DPatton

It really hurts my pride that I had to have my Mrs show me how to attach this photo :'(.  Gotta say tho, she's been a great first wife! :D

D & S Sawmill Services

thecfarm

I think this is the picture.

This is how I put the above picture here. Only took me a few seconds. Will take you longer,but the more you do it the quicker it becomes. Doing it from a phone,is diffeant,but for the most part,this will get you going.

I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,then click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture or posting a comment. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ox

If it were mine and it hasn't come back in a couple years, I'd cut her down so whatever might be causing it didn't spread.  This may be the most ignorant thing said around here in a while but it just makes a tiny little bit of sense to my stupid head.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

ppine

I am with the Ox.

Take it out and examine it carefully.  Could be root rot, spruce bud worm, or many other things.  Did the whole crown go at once, bottom up or top down, or ends in?
Forester

DPatton

I believe it went slowly from bottom to top. The tree appears to rebound somewhat every spring when it puts on its new annual foliage growth but then by the end of the summer it looks like this each year.

D & S Sawmill Services

ppine

Spruce are shallow rooted trees.  In a place like Nevada they tend to dry out in the winter.  They get moisture stressed when the ground is frozen.  How is the drainage at your site?  It is hard to imagine trees being too dry in Maine.
Forester

DPatton

I'm in southeast Nebraska and the tree has had ample moisture this past growing season. It has been in reasonably good grade black dirt soil conditions for the last sixteen years at this location.

D & S Sawmill Services

ppine

How is the moisture during the winter?
We lose trees around here a lot because of dry winters. It is hard to get out and water them when everything is frozen
Forester

ESFted

I was thinking it might be spruce spider mites, but since the other spruce look OK, it would appear to be some sort of environmental factor.  If it's mites you can tell by holding a sheet of white paper under a branch and tapping the branch sharply.  Mites will fall down on the paper and be easier to spot.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Clark

Rhizosphaera needle cast tends to work its way through a spruce from the bottom up and inside out. Check the symptoms of that with your specimen.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!