iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Suggestions for newbie

Started by Rusticcreations, August 12, 2016, 11:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusticcreations

So I want to get into timber framing and learn it, I don't plan on trying to jumo into building my house yet but rather want to huild some small projects to learn how to properly do it and gradually get to the point where I build my house.

My question is this what tools are necessity to start out with and beyond that what are are few simple projects that I could do to learn on?

Also does anyone know of any sort of timberframe classes in maine?

Brian_Weekley

At the top of the timber frame page, Jim has a list of suggested tools for timber framing:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,6403.0.html

If you can swing it, I would highly recommend attending the timber frame workshop at the Hancock Shaker Village in western MA which is taught each September.  A little bit of a drive from Maine, but really worth it:

http://hancockshakervillage.org/programs-events/workshops/

Some timber frame saw horses makes a good small starter project, followed by a shed.
e aho laula

Rusticcreations

Right now I own a small business building log furniture, I'm thinking about branching out and building timber frame beds and such also.

I would love to go to that class maybe I can work something out to do it

Brian_Weekley

That's great.  If you're planning to expand your business into timber framing or timber frame type furniture, I think that's even a greater reason for attending this workshop.  I guarantee you will learn invaluable layout tips, techniques, and shortcuts that you just can't easily learn from books and these skills are relevant from building houses down to smaller projects too.  You just can't beat the education you will get from Jack Sobon and Dave Carlon who are true masters of this craft.  Besides, the location is absolutely beautiful and held at the same time as their annual country fair/harvest festival.  You will be inspired touring the historic buildings and grounds and seeing the traditional furniture, tools, and other items made by the Shakers.
e aho laula

Thank You Sponsors!