iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw/forwarder combo

Started by gman98, August 11, 2016, 09:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Chainsaw/cable skidder is the go to combination for cutting with hand crews in big timber, but I was wondering if you guys have ever tried a chainsaw/forwarder combo when cutting smaller stuff like pulpwood or studwood/bolts?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

Ron Scott

The chainsaw/forwarder combo is very popular here, especially with the small producers of sawlogs, pulpwood, and firewood. See the Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment Thread.
~Ron

danbuendgen

This is pretty much what we do. The forwarder is the main machine. If the terrain is nothing crazy and if it's a heavy enough cut, I chop for the forwarder and my wife operates it 70% of the time. We have a 240 Timberjack for harsh terrain or if the cutting is to light to get the forwarder in there. I "bunch" in the woods for the forwarder with the skidder and this works well also, minimal skidding, sucks to handle the wood twice, but this way the wood is cleaner then skidding it all the way to the landing, and a forwarder landing is MUCH nicer then a skidder landing. But I prefer chopping for the forwarder. The only down side is that limbs on the under side can't get cut sometimes, and then she has to do it, or she gets my attention in the woods and I do it, or she will set them aside at the landing and we cut them off there. We cut a fair amount of firewood/pulp this way also. We sell a hundred plus cords of spit firewood and this set up keeps the wood cleaner. And our log length firewood customers can tell the difference in our wood, and come back to us every year. When the firewood/logs are not caked in mud, everyone benefits. Saw mills like clean wood also. I think the forwarder is a major benefit to our operation, I could never go back to just a cable skidder at this point. In the next few years I hope to get a harvester to make the operation complete. GOOD LUCK.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

RHP Logging

I do sawlogs and pulp with a chainsaw.  I cut some pretty decent hills too. My only machine.

Buckin in the woods

Ed_K

If I was younger, it's the way I'd set up my operation.
Ed K

wannaergo

My uncle did the chainsaw/forwarder combo for many years until he paid cash for a small harvester.

Holy buckets RHP those are some logs!!
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

danbuendgen

RHP, looks like you are cutting some good timber in Wisconsin. How do you like that Franklin? I just sold one, but mine had the long wagon which made it good for pine, spruce and firewood/pulp. Ungraded to a Rottne, and couldn't be happier, I almost rolled the Franklin a few times on steep ground. We have some wicked terrain around here. The job we are on now is very steep. No way would the Franklin get around on it. The Rottne SMV can only operate on less then half the job, I have to do a lot of bunching. Good thing for the 240.

bushmechanic

For years we used eight to ten manual cutters per one forwarder. Great system and you know the cost of every cord produced. The manual cutters dwindled out here and we had to shift to harvesters, now the cost is always up in the air due to parts and breakdown's. 

danbuendgen

Quote from: bushmechanic on August 13, 2016, 06:38:16 AM
For years we used eight to ten manual cutters per one forwarder. Great system and you know the cost of every cord produced. The manual cutters dwindled out here and we had to shift to harvesters, now the cost is always up in the air due to parts and breakdown's.

Wow, I'm surprised the forwarder could keep up with 8-10 guys chopping...

RHP Logging

I've got a picture of a three log bunk somewhere.  Not that unusual for me.  I will be on a big job in s few weeks with big oak. 

Buckin in the woods

RHP Logging

Quote from: danbuendgen on August 12, 2016, 08:27:09 PM
RHP, looks like you are cutting some good timber in Wisconsin. How do you like that Franklin? I just sold one, but mine had the long wagon which made it good for pine, spruce and firewood/pulp. Ungraded to a Rottne, and couldn't be happier, I almost rolled the Franklin a few times on steep ground. We have some wicked terrain around here. The job we are on now is very steep. No way would the Franklin get around on it. The Rottne SMV can only operate on less then half the job, I have to do a lot of bunching. Good thing for the 240.

It sure packs out the wood.  On flattish ground I average 1500 bf per skid. Once I got used to the machine I really like it. Being able to grab 360 is pretty awesome.  Yeah on the hills you need to stay straight up and down tho.  It's doesn't side hill well and I've popped my share of wheelies with with.  I've  had some close calls.  Theres two kinds of skidder operators though right?  Those that have tipped a machine over and those that haven't yet.  I've done some jobs where I'm standing on the dash just about.  Usually we have short hills around here with saddles you can get back up if you need to get to the top of the hill loaded. The longer hills seem to have a gentler slope.  The hills are left from the glaciers.  So there's lots of holes and hills but nothing like mountains or foothill s of mountains.
Buckin in the woods

RHP Logging

Quote from: danbuendgen on August 13, 2016, 06:52:57 AM
Quote from: bushmechanic on August 13, 2016, 06:38:16 AM

Wow, I'm surprised the forwarder could keep up with 8-10 guys chopping...

That's what I was thinking.  In big timber I've kept my forwarder busy cutting about 1500ft per hour.  On pulpy jobs I would definitely need two guys.  When I'm cutting I hustle tho.

Edit- I meant about 3k an hour cutting.  Two skids per hour at 1500ft.
Buckin in the woods

bushmechanic

Well rhp you hit the nail right on the head in big wood.... That's something we don't have. A top manual cutter hear can usually get about four cord cut in a day. A high liner can produce five to six cord. Our wood is very small, so small that if a tree produces three lengths of 101 inches it a good tree. So we used a 230D Timberjack forwarder which ran for twelve hours a day. Eight to ten cutters equals eight to ten loads. Then factor in sickness and weather and it's no problem to lose a load or two. Sorry if it seemed like I was bragging but that's not the case, our wood is really small!

Corley5

Started out the last time with a 5000 Iron Mule and a couple chainsaws cutting saw timber and the tops into poles for the firewood machine.  Graduated to a C4D Tree Farmer forwarder and kept updating/keeping good saws.  Went to a Risely Rotosaw slingshot head processor and then a 133 Fabtek with a 4 roller head.  My C4 has been retired to back up status and I've got a 132 Franklin PAB.  It's hard to make it cutting hardwood pulp by hand especially with the state of the markets now which includes everything  :( :(  Workmen's comp on a saw hand.....  They need to be cutting high value timber. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!