iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

flooring

Started by sawwood, August 09, 2016, 08:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawwood

I have a job coming up, customer wants T&G flooring made from his Walnut. He wants the flooring at 5" wide and I am not
sure if I should put T&G on the ends ? You guys that do flooring does this help keep the flooring flat or does that matter ?
Also how long do most floor boards run, are they just what length the lumber is ? I have the equipment to do the job just
want to do the best job for him.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

hopm

Not an expert by any means....
t&g on ends is a plus for installation and finishing
The longer the more chance of problems

ellmoe

We sell plank flooring. The ends are not T&G.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

terrifictimbersllc

2-1/4" commercial commonly comes in 7' bundles, but one can special order longer.

Installer can use biscuits in ends if he wants.  If you know who the installer is might ask him these questions.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

hackberry jake

I have made quite a bit of flooring over the last two years. The t and g on the ends isn't necessary and just a waste of time IMO. The lumber used will determine what lengths you will get. If there is large knots, I cut them out and that makes shorter lengths, and if the board has a bow, twist, or crook, I cut it down to where I can get straight pieces out of it. I try to keep the longest pieces around 5' just because it's easier to handle. If he only wants 5" widths, there will be a lot of waste. What will you do with a 9" wide board, or a 4" wide board? I do 3", 4", and 5". Here is the last floor I did. For my daughters room. She should arrive in this world around thanksgiving.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

sawwood

Thanks guys for the information. I need to call him and see what he has for lumber. Then see what size
the wants for lengths and go from there. I sure do hope this hot weather changes soon as its to hot in the
shop to do  any thing,

Sawwood
18" planer/molder

lowpolyjoe

Great looking floor Jake. 

I've never worked with flooring (except the garbage laminate I put down in my lower level  >:() ), but I'm surprised to hear a few of you guys say T&G isn't important.   

sawwood

I have one question, at what moisture do you need for the lumber to be ? The customer said that the Walnut has been
air drying for a year in a shed. He is going to bring me some to start and will see what the moisture reading will be. May
half to put it in our solar kiln to finish it out. I am all set up to start but sure want it to be dry as it should be.

Sawwood
18" planer/molder

hackberry jake

I would want it at least 8% or less on moisture. And tongue and groove is important on the long sides, just not the ends. End matching would probably make sense if you were laying hardwood flooring directly over joists, but 99% of the time it's nailed to a sub-floor.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

low_48

Looks like the Ellie board was a touch wide. I prefer a tighter floor, especially when first installed. It may shrink and move latter, but fresh I want it dead tight. 1 year air dried walnut at that width is probably going to move a lot, especially this winter. If the customer insists, make sure he understands it will have gaps that you are not responsible for!

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: hackberry jake on August 14, 2016, 08:14:01 PM
tongue and groove is important on the long sides, just not the ends.

ah... I read too fast and missed that part of the question.  that makes more sense to me.

Okrafarmer

I love multi-species floors.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Greyhound

Do not T&G the ends.  It adds almost nothing except extra time and effort.  Just run the boards however long they are and let the customer cut them to length as they install them.  Just curious, why not random width?  That usually gives the best usage of lumber.  In the end "the customer is always right."

hackberry jake

Quote from: low_48 on August 14, 2016, 11:26:16 PM
Looks like the Ellie board was a touch wide. I prefer a tighter floor, especially when first installed.
It was a touch wide. It was from a batch of maple I ran a while back. I kept it because it was purdy. The rest of the floor is cherry.

Thank You Sponsors!