iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Older Husqvarna Identification

Started by Bigfoot870, August 09, 2016, 03:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfoot870

My friend's saw has a broken top cover, and I would like to find one for him. Identifying the model of the saw is an issue, as all of the tags are missing. The serial number tag is intact. It is silver, and the number is 106190. The saw has the looped, metal chain brake handle, the body is aluminum, and the rear handle is aluminum. The saw is entirely orange. I suspect it is a 1970s build, and is a 266 or a predecessor of the 266.  Any help would be appreciated :)

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bigfoot870

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 09, 2016, 04:03:22 PM
Can you post a picture?

Not for a day or two.
I was hoping that the aluminum rear handle would be a dead give away. It has a black on / off switch, that slides side to side.
I'm guessing a 162, 166 or an early 266 SE, based on photos I see online.

SawTroll

Quote from: Bigfoot870 on August 09, 2016, 03:54:10 PM
My friend's saw has a broken top cover, and I would like to find one for him. Identifying the model of the saw is an issue, as all of the tags are missing. The serial number tag is intact. It is silver, and the number is 106190. The saw has the looped, metal chain brake handle, the body is aluminum, and the rear handle is aluminum. The saw is entirely orange. I suspect it is a 1970s build, and is a 266 or a predecessor of the 266.  Any help would be appreciated :)

I suspect the number plate says more than just 106190 - tell us what it is.
Information collector.

Bigfoot870

That's the complete serial number. If the plate had more info on it, which I doubt, it is no longer legible. 106190 is engraved in the silver, aluminum plate, and is easy to read.

SawTroll

Quote from: Bigfoot870 on August 10, 2016, 08:52:06 AM
That's the complete serial number. If the plate had more info on it, which I doubt, it is no longer legible. 106190 is engraved in the silver, aluminum plate, and is easy to read.

OK, that's plausible, as the other numbers/info was printed and not stamped. It still is very unusual that all of it is totally gone, so look really close at it....

The six digit numbers themselves are not decodable in any known way - but points at the 1970s or very early 1980s. 

What is needed here then are pictures, and if possible the bore of the cylinder.
Information collector.

Bigfoot870

sawguy21, I'll try to get a couple of photos tonight.

Bigfoot870

Ada Shaker

According to that serial number you should be able to get spare parts for it at the local sewing machine shop. :)
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Bigfoot870

Quote from: Ada Shaker on August 14, 2016, 06:22:52 PM
According to that serial number you should be able to get spare parts for it at the local sewing machine shop. :)

At this point, I'm simply trying to identify the model, so I can try to find a used cover online, to save my friend some money.

SawTroll

From what I can see, I have a strong feeling that the saw left the factory as a 162SE, but you never know what is original and not on an older used saw.

A top cover from an early (maybe all) 266 likely will fit if you can't find an original 162 one. Older 61 covers likely will fit as well but the color will be off.
Information collector.

Bigfoot870

Now that I have actual photos, and have taken the time to compare online, I'm convinced that the existing cover is off of a 266 SE.

cliffreaves

Ada Shaker

You should be able to find covers online, the needles are a different story.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

HolmenTree

It's definitely a 162SE built between 1980-82 from what is shown with the adjustable chain brake button, the 3 screw top cover and the 1 screw air filter. The 1 screw filter was discontinued by 1983.
If that's the original top cover the 266 never had the vented slots over the muffler from what I can find.

Also the 266 wasn't introduced over here in North America until 1982 and didn't have the one screw air filter that this saw has. I did find a parts photo on a first edition 266 from 1981 (European) that did have a 1 screw filter but it didn't have the vented cover.
Measure the bore by pulling the muffler, and use the depth rod of a caliper against the far cylinder wall and the base of the caliper against the piston. 162 is 48 mm,  the 266 is 50 mm

Here's a picture of the first edition 162SE in 1979. The 162 was introduced in 1976.
Notice the top cover having the vents but has a single hold down screw into the top of the cylinder and 2 screws into the crankcase at the rear of the top cover. That style was discontinued in 1980.
Also notice no chain brake lever....
for some reason Husqvarna advertised their saws only in 1979 in North America with no chain brakes. Probably to make them look more streamlined for the pro market, as at the time chain brakes in the North American pro market weren't fully accepted yet.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

Quote from: cliffreaves on August 14, 2016, 10:37:02 PM
Could it be a 380 cd?

No way.

If it isn't a 162SE, it may be one of the elusive 166SE saws, that likely didn't reach series production before being "developed" into the 266SE. I don't know what was different from the 162 on those, except for the cylinder bore and cc.

Even if it left the factory as a 162 (it most likely did) it may of course have a 50mm top end on it now, or an open transfer 48mm from a 61, that someone has put there in the last 35 years or so.
Information collector.

Bigfoot870

OK, so it's a 162.

What model top covers will fit it (new covers are no longer available, and used ones are very rare)?

HolmenTree

Check our sponsors CHAINSAW on the left of this page . Last I checked he has covers for the 162.

Bigfoot870

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 15, 2016, 07:14:42 PM
Check our sponsors CHAINSAW on the left of this page . Last I checked he has covers for the 162.

I already did..............."Sold Out".

HolmenTree

The gray 61 Rancher will fit when I last checked. Even has the vents for the muffler just like the 162

$30 one left.

Bigfoot870

Let's try this again, so maybe I can source a good used one locally.

OK, so it's a 162...........What model top covers will fit it (the newer the model, the better, naturally)?

HolmenTree

Just look for the 3 screw mounting and the vents for the muffler like on the 61 Rancher. Buy the cover from CHAINSAWR and be done with it.
As a matter of fact the black 2 piece Jonsered 630 covers will even bolt on.

So where about in Nova Scotia are you?  I just toured the whole province for 3 weeks last month.

Bigfoot870

Will a 266 top cover fit on a 162? Yes or no..........

HolmenTree

You didn't answer my question where you are in Nova Scotia ..........

Bigfoot870

Last try...............anyone??

"Will a 266 top cover fit on a 162? Yes or no.........."

Thank You Sponsors!