iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yet another new guy

Started by Silverback, November 10, 2004, 08:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverback

How are you guys doing?  I figured I'd finally better check in; I've been lurking here for about two years on and off (a small stint in Iraq in between).  Currently, I'm a Regular Army Military Police Officer at Fort Riley, KS (nod to KSU_chainsaw).  I will be getting out of the army in about a year and half.  I've been in 2 1/2 years regular and almost 10 counting national guard time.  I'm hoping start a Timber Framing (another nod to Jim Rogers) business back home in Central Missouri around the Columbia area (yet another nod to Bibbyman).  My plan is to get a job such as a firefighter (24 on and 48 off) so that I have plenty of time off to start the business and income coming in at the same time.  Of course I'll have to build my own house first as a show piece.  I plan to do all this with a VA home loan and possibly a VA business loan (although I try to avoid debt like a plauge).  I plan on ebaying an 090 still and alaskan to mill the timbers for my house and either getting the Amish to cut the rest (ie floring) or getting in contact with Bibbyman.  I don't know if I'll ever get a "real" mill or not--just depends on if there is a source of long beams in mid Missouri for the right price.  I have plenty of experience woodworking and some carpentry.

Hobbies include riding my Harley on long distance trips, playing with my boston terrier, taking fiddle lessons, hunting, beer making (and drinking), and trying to avoid PowerPoint slides.

BTW I told a reservist on active duty that is part of my battalion about this sight and I know that he is lurking.  He is from Ohio and is part owner of a mill.

Enough of my rambilings
Live Life.  And to borrow NEW HAMPSHIRE's motto: live free or die.

DonE911

Welcome Silverback....

Sounds like a good plan to me 8)

24 on 48 off leaves alot of time for your own business... almost all of our firefighters have a business on the side and do well with them... not alot of rest on the days off though.

CHARLIE

Welcome Silverback!  Grab a nailkeg, drag it over here by the pot bellied stove and sit with us a spell. There's a great bunch of people here. Also there are several firefighters as members too. Ain't that right Chet? 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

iain

Welcome home bub, feel free to jump in on any subject even if you know nothing about it, i do all the time, and i get away with it. Nearly all my info comes from christmas crackers, it is brilliant as it comes in small managable bit sized piece's.

iain

TN_man

Welcome Silverback 8)
Also a hearty thanks for your service to our country, especially on this Veterans day. Glad to have ya ;)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

Brad_S.

Welcome Silverback, and I join TN Man in the thanks for your service! :)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

shopteacher

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Erick

I'll second that Howdy and the Thanks.
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

Fla._Deadheader

Same here, Welcome aboard.  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum Silverback,  Bet you've got some stories to tell.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

MULE_MAN

WELCOME SILVERBACK

Sounds like you got a plan and allot of work ahead of you,  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Timberwerks

Welcome Silverback, I know you will enjoy the time you spend here.

Dale

Bill Johnson

Welcome to the board Silverback
Bill

Timber_Framer

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Engineer

Nice to have ya here, man.  Thanks for serving our country.

Yes there's other firefighters here, I'm one of 'em.  Volunteer for eight years now.

Have fun with that timber frame and don't be afraid to ask questions.  Somebody here's always got a good answer eventually.  if you're anything like most of us, you'll be addicted to sawdust and milling in short order.

Thank You Sponsors!