iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 576XP trials (was 'New Saw Coming' but clearly it aint new anymore)....

Started by OlJarhead, August 08, 2016, 01:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

So after a long debate with myself over buying an Echo CS800p vs another Husky (I love my 455 Rancher and have run it without doing anything at all for 5-6 years -- it's my mill saw these days) I decided to stick with Husky and buy the 576XP (Full Wrap) instead.

I called Bailey's (aren't they a sponsor here?) and discussed the different options with them but frankly I kept coming back to chain tightening on the Echo and the likelihood that I really needed an 80+ cc saw.

I've got one 48" Pine I'll fall in the next year or so -- yes only one -- and I've got a couple big dead logs (one came down this year) that I will buck up for firewood (just couldn't do it with my 455 as it was taking too long to cut one side, go to the other and cut it etc) but for the most part will probably use a shorter bar on the 576 (ordered with a 32" but will get a 24" also) for falling stuff in the 20-24" range.

I wanted a saw that would do more, faster, than my 455 but had the same reliability and feel that I was used to.  Pricing was also a factor as it was almost the same price as the Echo and while the echo was 6cc's bigger I'm thinking a 74cc saw will be all I need moving forward.

Hope I made the right choice! ha!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

motohed

If , I were you , I would run skip chain on the longer bar , and you should be fine .

OlJarhead

Quote from: motohed on August 08, 2016, 04:40:36 PM
If , I were you , I would run skip chain on the longer bar , and you should be fine .

I was thinking of ordering some after a little reading.  Just ordered the saw 'stock' with the 32" Bar and figured I'd play a bit before ordering chain etc....I found with my 455 the chain made a ton of difference so I expect the same here.  Can't wait to make some sawdust with it though!

Dave Shepard

Things changed at Bailey's. They no longer sponsor us, and I no longer buy from them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Al_Smith

OlJarhead

Never had a problem with them but unhappy they stopped sponsoring the site.

Back to the saw ;)  I'm dying to get it and start bucking up that big fir!

sawdusty1

You won't be sorry.  I have a  1986 80cc 181se I bought new and have had to do nothing to it.  It still will outcut my new 372 xtorq, but the xtorq sure cranks a hell of alot easier.   I just can't get away from Husky, they've been too good to me.  I also have a 1999 55 that I have used and abused and it is still good to go.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

OlJarhead

Saw arrived in box and unassembled with no instructions....great.  I've built cars for crying out loud but can't figure out some of the parts in the box.   Thanks Husky! 

OlJarhead

Whew.  After looking closely at parts lists I was able to figure out what went where (not much to figure but certainly a couple things I needed to check) and got the saw assembled.  What a beast!  That 32" bar is LONG LOL but I plan to order a 24" shortly, just wanted at least one long bar for those times you really need it -- specially if you want to slab something wider than the mill can do (no this saw won't be a CSM saw but it may be used to slab once in a while).

celliott

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 10, 2016, 11:07:05 PM
Saw arrived in box and unassembled with no instructions....great.  I've built cars for crying out loud but can't figure out some of the parts in the box.   Thanks Husky!

Thanks Baileys.... A servicing husky dealer would have had it all set up for ya.

Is it an autotune model? Or regular carb? Regular carb may need some fine tuning out of the box.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

OlJarhead

Autotune.

Not aware of any dealers other than the big box places that don't seem to carry pro saws.  It's all good though, got it set up and ran it a couple times -- boy it sounds like a 'real' saw compared to my rancher! lol

Carson-saws

Prefer STIHL overall yet the Echos are good ground saws.  These post are tricky only because as always...boils down to " what you prefer and suits YOUR needs"  Like a truck...some like Chevy some like Fords both of which are just fine.  I am hoping these type post simply are asking opinions to perhaps help someone get a better idea in their final choice.  That being said...I do not care for Husky...I am pretty sure Poulin bought Husky and even prior to that had enough "problems" with a Husky I never had another.  I DO hope it works well for you and satisfies your needs.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

OlJarhead

My older Husky has treated me very well :)  I'm hoping this one will to and am sure it will :)

John Mc

No, Poulin did not buy Husky. In the 70's ago Electrolux bought Poulan (or the company that owned Poulan). In 1978, Electrolux also acquired Husqvarna. In 2006, Electrolux spun off Husqvarna, with Poulan a division of the Husqvarna company.

The regular Poulan line is mostly low-end stuff. The Poulan Pro line is a bit higher scale.

I've had no problems with my Husky 357XP, nor with my Jonsered 2152 (Jonsered is also owned by Husqvarna)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Carson-saws

Now there's a juggling act right there.  Like I mentioned before. I had nor have ANY intention to dog ANY persons like or dislike, only thing that matters is each is happy with the results..the old "one mans food is another mans poison"  Heck..I still have a John Deere saw and have not figured out who really made that. I just like the sticker on it.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

OlJarhead

My father in law worked for Case until he retired...he had a name for those green tractors ;)

Speaking of saws I have a Craftsman that has done well for me also....found out later it was a Husky without the Anti-Vibe.  I'd just aquired my new Husky 455 Rancher and thought "gee these look a lot alike" and then when I was getting something fixed on the Craftsman (screw came out into the case and the palm lever was disconnected) the repair shop confirmed it was actually a Husky....so in truth I have three Husky's now.  All continue to work and work well with the oldest (the Craftsman) about 12 or 13 years old followed by the 455 Rancher and then of course the new 576xpw.

I will be bucking up some big logs this week :)  Can't wait to see what happens

starmac

I have a 455 and can't say it has not been a good saw, but they are more of huskys homeowner line, husky sells better saws. In fact I will usually pick up a 346 instead of the 455. That 576 is a pro saw and a whole nother dimension, you will love it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

OlJarhead

I saw a video of comparing a Stihl to a Husky (the MS460 I think to the 576XP) and in it they dumped sawdust onto both saws and the Husky came out the clear winner.  So I was curious as to what I'd find when I pulled that cap off my 5 or 6 year old 455 that I'd yet to replace the plug or air filter on.

Not bad!

Got a bit of sawdust in and around the air cleaner but it wasn't even plugged up yet and considering the use and abuse the saw has taken I was pretty impressed :)

Now it's ready for another year of use and abuse -- I just need to figure out how to replace the fuel filter.

John Mc

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 15, 2016, 10:04:39 AM... Now it's ready for another year of use and abuse -- I just need to figure out how to replace the fuel filter.

I just bend a lightweight wire coat hanger into a hook and fish the filter out. If it's an older saw, it's a good time to take a look at the fuel line as well.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dave Shepard

I agree. I lost my 394 because of a bad fuel line. Husky saws use simple fuel line, unlike the molded ones Stihl uses. Not hard to replace.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

OlJarhead

Got to use the new saw this weekend  8)

WOW!  First use was to slab off the side of a large flare so the mill could get past it.  That saw is a beast! :D  Cut through it like butter :)

Knocked off a few horns on logs and then my customer asked if I could buck a big log in half.  It was about 28-30" in diameter and that 576xp just chewed through it like butter :)  Oh ya!  8)

tranabo_bjoern

Congrats to the new family member :-)

By the way I tried to buy from Baileys. They are unable to process Paypal or my credit card (both work fine on many other places). Bought the 395 xp at Pantamo instead, great service.
Just do it!

Husky 395xp 20 inch bar
Husky 460xp x-torq Rancher 24 and 20 inch bar
Husky 61 18 inch bar
Jonsered 2234 14 inch bar
McCulloch cs 380 18 inch bar

John Mc

Quote from: tranabo_bjoern on September 06, 2016, 02:07:26 AM
Congrats to the new family member :-)

By the way I tried to buy from Baileys. They are unable to process Paypal or my credit card (both work fine on many other places). Bought the 395 xp at Pantamo instead, great service.

You live in Sweden, and you tried to buy a Husqvarna saw from Bailey's? Isn't the 395 made in Sweden?

OlJarhead

Put the saw to the test this weekend :)  8)  I will post pics when I get a chance but I had an old long dead Fir come down this past winter and wanted to get it cut up and put into the wood shed.  I buried the bar (32") over and over again as I bucked that big monster up into rounds and it just kept throwing sawdust like a boss!  Never even seemed to notice it was deep into the log and just chewed it's way down to the bottom over and over and over again.....went through a few tanks of fuel and really gave it a work out.

At one point it did seem to get hot and didn't want to idle but I let it cool down and then it was fine.  Not sure if I just pushed it too hard or what but I was cutting dry wood that was as wide as 40 inches (or wider)....narrowest piece I cut was probably 34"

OlJarhead

Couple shots of sawing up the big fir.  Saw never slowed down, just kept going and going :)

This log is the one I tried to buck up with my 455 and it just didn't have the ooomph to do it though admittedly the chain was not sharpened well and it wasn't cutting straight either so it probably would have done better but still, it barely made it through this in several minutes....in the same amount of time with the big 576 I bucked the log up into several rounds.  Still need to get back and finish the work as half the tree is left to buck up but I'll get it before the snow flies!

Thank You Sponsors!