iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pink firewood

Started by timberlinetree, August 07, 2016, 06:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

We ended up with some cedar, so ran it through. We will give it to some of our longtime customers for looks/smell. Thought it was neat.

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

ppine

Pacific madrone "Arbutus mensezeii"
Mountain mahogany "Cercocarpus" are both pink.
My brother has madrone floors in his house in Oregon that were milled from local wood. Also Oregon white oak floors.
Forester

hedgerow

Back years ago when I still sold firewood I had a fair amount of fireplace customers that loved cedar so when we were cutting big cedar trees out of pasture ground we would process them. It does make the neighborhood smell nice when it is burning.

Al_Smith

Cedar can make a real "fireworks" display because it has a tendency to pop and crackle .

LittleJohn

Yes, watch out for the pops and crackles; and remember it will leave a white papery ash, with very minimal coals or clinkers

bluthum

Long ago an old timer told me his mother preferred eastern red cedar to burn in the cookstove. I thought that odd but many years later I came up with the theory that it was because the stuff gets hot pretty quick and burns out fast with no coals left. Since that was their only means of cooking that would be a keen asset in summertime.

More recently I began to appreciate it for kindling in my wood stove.A straight grained piece splits up fine, the splinters part easily even with a pocket knife.

hedgerow

Quote from: bluthum on August 08, 2016, 05:01:57 PM
Long ago an old timer told me his mother preferred eastern red cedar to burn in the cookstove. I thought that odd but many years later I came up with the theory that it was because the stuff gets hot pretty quick and burns out fast with no coals left. Since that was their only means of cooking that would be a keen asset in summertime.

More recently I began to appreciate it for kindling in my wood stove.A straight grained piece splits up fine, the splinters part easily even with a pocket knife.
It was the same way were I grew up. People used corn cobs or cedar in cook stoves in the summer for a quick fire and then it was out. They would use normal firewood in cook stoves in the winter.

Al_Smith

We used the butt ends of cedar power poles for kindling when I was a kid .You could get a whole load then from the power company freebies.

Ivan49

I had a bunch of the cedar power poles that were 15 to 18 inches at the base. I sawed them on my sawmill for lumber. Man of them had been in the ground since 1940. The pink cedar I sawed a ton of it and our closest in our house are lined with it.

timberlinetree

That's neat and smart that back then they used different wood durning different times of year. One thing for sure, the house smells nice!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

HuckFin

Looks like Tennessee red cedar. I cut up scrap pieces and put them in drawers and cabinets to keep them smelling nice.  A friend of mine makes beautiful furniture from it.  People around here pay good money for the milled lumber.

r.man

The more experienced wood burners in my area frequently put up some poplar firewood for days when a bit of heat is needed in the morning but not in the afternoons. Good hardwood will mean open doors or windows and more severe temperature fluctuations.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!