iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 225 ?

Started by Puffergas, August 04, 2016, 10:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neilo

Quote from: Puffergas on August 08, 2016, 09:30:58 PM
I bet ya that old Jack when over a bank and hit a big old maple tree. What else could bend that arch..

Maybe a back flip

timberlinetree

On a rock... Don't think I have every seen one bent. Do they bend easy?  Ours needed a paint job. Instead of $1400, 2 kids, some rollers and brushes , 2 gal and couple rattle cans of tsc allis orange paint and a little complaining. Of course nice paint doesn't pay the bills.

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Puffergas

Ugly? No, no, no, no. Not interested in the two green things. 😮

I'll try it out and if it poops and farts I'll offer 3500. Can't go wrong there.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

danbuendgen

Quote from: Puffergas on August 08, 2016, 09:30:58 PM
I bet ya that old Jack when over a bank and hit a big old maple tree. What else could bend that arch..

First off, rolling a skidder wont bend an arch like that. I know a fair amount of loggers that have rolled skidders, and none of those skidders have bent arches. I know a guy that rolled a 240 down a mountain, it rolled many times, the arch and cab are just fine. Can't even tell it was rolled over....
I still think someone dropped a tree on the skidders arch. I have never seen an arch bend before..... It would take a tremendous amount of force to bend that. The only thing I could ever imagine being capable of producing that much force in the woods would be a falling tree. A large one. Not some pulp/firewood tree.

The only difference in the 225 and 230 is the tire and rim size (I think). I have operated both, and that is the only difference I know of. The 230 often has the 18.4-34 or very occasionally 23.1-26. The 225 always has the smaller size, 16.9-30. Other then that they should be the same machine. I would go for the 225 over a 230 if I had a choice, the smaller tire and rim gives you a bit less ground clearance, but makes it more stable. And the smaller tire lowers the overall gear ratio, so it gives the machine a bit more torque. Plus tires and tire chains are cheaper. But overall can't beat a 240 in operating cost, power, and stability. A 240 is much more capable compared to a 225 or 230.

GOOD LUCK.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Puffergas

Thanks for the 230 info..

By going over a bank I mean on all four and rolling backwards at a high speed then hitting the arch on a large tree. Or dropped out of an airplane.  Just saying.. ☺
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Spartan

or a heavy machine hit it, backed into it, crushed it, etc.....

I was in a 518 when a delimber head swung and hit the roll cage at full tilt.  Bent it pretty good.  Man what a bell ringer...

timberlinetree

It made a big difference switch n to the 23.1-26 for us. Lot better on hills and soft ground.The 230 super e has a longer frame from what I been told. I think 230 has bigger axles? Good luck!

coxy

from what iv been told the older 225 had the smaller rears from the factory the newer ones had the pr75s we have a few around here that guys stuffed the bigger eaton rears in

danbuendgen

Quote from: timberlinetree on August 11, 2016, 05:32:15 AM
It made a big difference switch n to the 23.1-26 for us. Lot better on hills and soft ground.

I have operated TJ's with both 18.4-34 and the 23.1-26 and I agree, the 23.1-26 is better for the area I live in. Less ground clearance, but more stable, and they don't tend to "dig" as much in the mud. However, the 18.4-34 is better in deep snow.

Puffergas

I've had the most luck with narrow tires, snow country..

Anyhow, I called the sales dude and let him know I'll be there about 4:00 to see how it runs. He said "great I'll find the keys and let someone know because I'll be gone" or something like that. I said that your not going to find keys for that machine.....

I show up on time or a bit early. See the service man and he doesn't know anything about it. But he'll see if he can find the keys..!!! I told him that might be a problem so he told me to go out and give it a try. So out I go.

I get a few clicks but not enough to turn it over. Go back to ask for a jump but service man is on the phone talking about the guys going to Trump Riot in town. OK, now we know where the sales dude went. A stuffed shirt in an office ran away from me so I waited some more on the service man to get off the phone BSing.

So I go out side to play with the TJ. Found out that the big gear in the winch is paper thin. Founda u-joint about ready to let loose but that's nothing.

Go back in and still BSing on the phone. SO I can see that I'm getting the run-a-round..  Time to take my check book back home. I feel sad about not being able to save a TJ from the junk yard but I'll find someone else to deal with.

Down the road I paid more than I could have for a skid steer and tractor but the man spent time with me, got stuff started, repaired and etc. Sure glad I gave them my business and not some where else.

At least I learned about TJs and when I find a 225 I would be interested in stocking up on some of those small axles that people like to replace with larger ones.

Long Live Timberjack..!!
Jeff

Ed_K

It's a shame people don't care enough to work at selling a machine once in a while. That could come back later in a sale of a new piece of equipment. The Oliver stores up at Bangor expo treated me the same way.
If you don't have a big check book they don't / won't even acknowledge you. And they do check bank accounts and c/c cards.
Ed K

danbuendgen

From the sound of it, that 225 was not cared for, and is a piece of trash scrap metal at this point, and so is that dealer. Better to go with a private sale and find a good machine. GOOD LUCK TJ shopping.

Just looked on Craigslist and found these, they seem much better then the one you were looking at a bit more money, but you get what you pay for.

http://vermont.craigslist.org/hvo/5686928745.html

http://vermont.craigslist.org/hvo/5707811240.html

http://vermont.craigslist.org/hvo/5675799716.html

I like the look of the second one. Francis Brown did a lot of work on it, he is the best TJ mechanic in our area. I see you are in PA, not too close to VT, but there are a lot a decent little skidders around here.

Puffergas

Those are some nice Jacks.

Anybody deal with Buddy's in Amherst, VA? He has a 225E with almost new tires all the way around for 11.5K.
Jeff

shawn55

Im selling my 1970 225d if your looking.

so il logger

Quote from: Puffergas on August 12, 2016, 09:47:28 PM
Those are some nice Jacks.

Anybody deal with Buddy's in Amherst, VA? He has a 225E with almost new tires all the way around for 11.5K.

Sold a nice one last summer. Got 9k out of it, seems them little tractors bring more money out east. From my experience for what you plan to do with one a 225 is perfect. If i ever had to go back to a cable timberjack a 225 or 230 would be my pick. 240 with a detroit never hit it off well here. Not enough power for the weight class.

timberlinetree

I like poken around buddys, neat place ( cool to look  for stuff place). Been there couple of times. He has a lot of stuff out back although it has been five years or so since I be been there. We bought our 230e not far from there. I don't think they use cable skidders as much as they use to and my brother had trouble finding someone with one to work steep land near the James river.

danbuendgen

"240 with a detroit never hit it off well here. Not enough power for the weight class."

I'm not sure on that. I have operated lots of Timberjacks, and a 240 has much more power then a 230. It's night and day difference. And is much more stable on side hills. My 240 can pull 2000 feet of pine or hardwood, lucky to do half that with a 230.
Just my .02

Puffergas

Shawn55, that's a nice looking machine but so far away I bet trucking would be a major problem.
Jeff

shawn55

i just bought a 230a from Pennsylvania and had it trucked to minnesota for $2,200 i know a trucking outfit that is out there 2 times a week.

so il logger

Quote from: danbuendgen on August 13, 2016, 06:35:32 AM
"240 with a detroit never hit it off well here. Not enough power for the weight class."

I'm not sure on that. I have operated lots of Timberjacks, and a 240 has much more power then a 230. It's night and day difference. And is much more stable on side hills. My 240 can pull 2000 feet of pine, lucky to do half that with a 230.
Just my .02
Pine must be lighter wood than hickory or oak. Or even sycamore. My 450c will drag 2000ft, but its easier on the tractor sometimes to buck a huge tree in half before skidding. The max we have put behind a 225 was 1000 ft. We had 2 different 240's and they done no better. Could work a 225 all day on maybe 10-15 gallons of fuel. They are tough machines. I wish my 450 was so good on fuel

Puffergas

Never guess what I found by searching for info on the Steiger Logger 850 skidder.... This old Jack. The mother company has it listed at a ny location but it's still here. We decided it's worth up to 3k and they were asking 10K but now in ny they have a nice new price tag on it at the tune of 18k...!!!!!!!!! 😯

Be careful out there!
Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!