iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2 years sawmill free

Started by Okrafarmer, August 03, 2016, 10:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Hi, everybody, it's been a while since I've been on the Forum. It's been a kind of a difficult couple of years around here for me and my family, but God is good, and we are blessed in all the most important ways.

After I dissolved my business (I sold off my inventory and pretty much lived off that and some odd jobs for about six months or so), I became a security officer and have worked that job for the last 16 months. It hasn't been much fun, but it's one of the few things I can do with my back blown out. My wife and I have had several health issues we've been struggling through. That with low income issues have made for some trying times, but we both seem to be progressing now.

Just in the last few weeks, several possibilities have presented themselves for me to possibly enter back into sawying or other forestry-related tasks, whether part time or full time. I hardly dare to mention it, for fear it won't come true, but I hold out hope. One of the opportunities seems very possible,  so pray for me if you're the praying type. If it works out, I'll be sure to let you know.

If I do this, I'll have to be involved with someone else for offbearing, to say the least. And I'll have to be well-involved with a chiropractor!

I've also gotten on a new diet and have stuck with it for fifteen days now, and have lost at least five pounds and feel like I can sustain this diet for a long time. It's a long-term program, and involves staying away from donuts, pizza, and spaghetti, among other things. But okra is allowed, and I'm eating a lot of that, as you may imagine-- if I'm ambitious enough, maybe I'll talk about the diet in Food! Food! Food! some time. I'll wait til I've been on it at least a month for some more conclusive results. Anyway, I'm committed to trimming down to be in better shape, and so far it seems like a good course.

We have a new baby now-- #7, and she turns a year old later this month. We plug away at our garden, church activities and a new ministry I'm involved with.

Just thought some of y'all might want to know what became of me-- "if sawmills occur" in my life shortly, I'll add a bit to this thread. If they don't, I suppose I should have posted in "members only." But there is a good chance of sawmill(s) occurring in my future after this two-year exile, so stay tuned.

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

sawguy21

Welcome back, good to see you again. 8) Life has a habit of throwing nasty curves, good luck.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

timcosby

i too dropped out for a while 2008 destroyed my land surveying business. had triple bypass in jan of this year. all healed up and ready to do something but the dang weeds almost at the mill site! roundup is on the way to them!

LAZERDAN

Well Mr.  I am the prayin type.  So i'll keep my end of the bargin, you need to keep yours.  From the picture I see you have the right seat in the right house !  We've missed you.    Lazerdan 

paul case

Good to hear from ya and in the not so famed words of Red Green''I'm pullin for ya, we are all in this together''.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

drobertson

Real good as usual to hear from you Jim, sorry in a sense, knowing how you enjoyed the sawing.  But having work and family is good! You have a good looking crew! Good to see the smiles.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Okrafarmer

Thanks, guys! Keep your blades sharp.
:)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

kelLOGg

Thanks for keeping in touch and keeping us informed. You've undergone big changes, good and bad, and sharing your adjustment process is inspirational to me and keeps you in touch with the sawmill part of your community.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

Good to hear from you again!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Glad things are looking up in your life.
Careful with the sawmill part. No sense in working hard and than in 20 years you can't do nothing.  :(  You're young,take care of your body. Yes,hard working for the man,but even harder not being able to work at all.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Wow, it's good to hear an update from you my friend.  I wish you the very best in whatever venture is in your future.

Thanks for the family picture.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tnaz

Quote from: LAZERDAN on August 03, 2016, 10:46:58 PM
Well Mr.  I am the prayin type.  So i'll keep my end of the bargin, you need to keep yours.  From the picture I see you have the right seat in the right house !  We've missed you.    Lazerdan

I'm with LazerDan, keep the faith brother.  It will all work out.

Terry

Weekend_Sawyer

I was just wondering what happened to you this morning and this thread popped up.

Welcome back and good luck with your new adventure!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WmFritz

Great to hear from you Okra...you've been missed.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

tjhammer

good to hear from ya I always wondered what you have been up to miss your posts keep the faith things will work out hope to see the saw dust flying soon I very seldom log in but come as a guest to keep in touch
tj
hammer

Seaman

Good to hear from you Jim, and glad to see you are still filling the quiver! Anything we can help with , let us know.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Seaman on August 04, 2016, 01:03:38 PM

Good to hear from you Jim, and glad to see you are still filling the quiver! Anything we can help with , let us know.
Frank

Thanks, Frank, and as a matter of fact, if things go in the direction I hope, I may well be in touch with you in a business sort of way. I'll have to catch up with you and see what you're doing these days, over-mountain neighbor!  ;D

Okrafarmer

Thanks, everybody, for your kind thoughts. It's a little more mature Mr. Okrafarmer you might see around here these days-- I;ve had to learn a few lessons the hard way, and grow and stretch in my spirit, and retreat and shrink in my ego and body.

I still like sawdust, though, and I still like okra, and I still like things that make loud noises, so I guess there's hope!
:D

plowboyswr

Glad to see you back!  8) Great looking family. I'm  :P with great interest.  popcorn_smiley
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good to hear from you Okra. I just found your update.
Thanks for sharing and Congrats on the new family member.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 04, 2016, 06:40:00 PM

Howdy, fellow grits-belt neighbor!

Sixacresand

Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 04, 2016, 10:50:23 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 04, 2016, 06:40:00 PM

Howdy, fellow grits-belt neighbor!
I noticed the diet did not mention giving up grits.  I love the family church photo.  Keep us posted on your next mill. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

petefrom bearswamp

Keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers, However Sawdust good, Okra yuk
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

samandothers

Good to hear from you and glad thinks are getting back on a better track.  I pray you may be strengthened mentally and physically to get you through these tough time.  Sounds like things are heading in a good direction. 
Great looking family and good luck with the new wee one!

Knute

Great looking family ! Prayers coming.

Thank You Sponsors!