iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

towing a sawmill

Started by Oliver05262, August 02, 2016, 07:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver05262

This might seem like a dumb question, but I have been asked to bring home a new mill  (WM LT70) for a friend and a big part of the trip will be on I-93 and I-91. Is this going to be a problem? He will be with me, so I'm just the dumb truck driver, but...............
  Anybody have any comments or advice about this?
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

GAB

Should not be a problem.  The reason I say that is because most mill manufacturers frequently deliver their towable sales via the highway.
Until I got the fell for how it travels I'd probably not go over 60.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Chuck White

Agreed, I don't see that it would be a problem.

SUGGESTION:  If it's supposed to be plated in your state, make sure it's current.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MartyParsons

Hello,
   2" 5/16" ball for a LT70 Unless it is a Walk LT70 then 2" ball. The mill will have brakes on the axle.
You may pay a fine if you are in the left lane passing. If it says no trucks in the left lane.
7 flat camper plug on most new vehicles will be the plug you may need. Make sure your electric trailer brake control is in working order.
Ball height from the ground is 18" - 22" height. If you have a lift kit on your truck pay attention. Most factory pickup trucks should be fine with a 2" drop.

Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

ozarkgem

For a practice run you can bring it over to my place. No tags needed.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Oliver05262

Thank you Marty for the post. I was hoping you would see my question.
I'll let you all know how it goes. And yes, there will be pictures !!
Oliver Durand
It's OK to cry.

Carson-saws

Be careful and have a safe trip....You will probably have  a lot of "rubber neckers" checking out the package you're towing.  As long as you have trailer brakes and the electrical works...no worries
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

GAB

Oliver if you want to have some fun attach a sign on the back of the mill that reads "Student Driver".
Some drivers will give you more room.
Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

How does "Student Sawyer" sound??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ozarkgem

Stay back 300' new sawmill on board
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Oliver05262

Got 'er home late this afternoon. I'll post more pictures when I get a chance.

Oliver Durand
It's OK to cry.

Chuck White

Hope you had no issues, glad you got it home!   :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Surely is shiny and W I D E.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Engineer

Hey Ollie, who belongs to that monster?  Anyone I know?

4x4American

You forgot to deliver it to my yard in fort ann on your way home!  lol

Nice rig!  Is that a super and a wide at the same time or just a wide or isn't there a difference?
Boy, back in my day..

pwrwagontom

Quote from: Oliver05262 on August 07, 2016, 10:32:51 PM
  Got 'er home late this afternoon. I'll post more pictures when I get a chance.

So how did it tow?
Never give an inch

Oliver05262

Towed great!! Seems to hang out a little on the left side, but easy to watch out for in the mirror. Just enough tongue weight to be stable at any speed I wanted to go, but 55-60 was enough for me anyway, even on I-93. Traffic was fairly heavy--Sunday afternoon, y'know.
Oliver Durand
It's OK to cry.

valley ranch

That looks like a fun thing to come out to in the morning.

Oliver05262

As promised; a couple more pictures.

Oliver Durand
It's OK to cry.

Carson-saws

Definitely an interesting tow set up.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Bluejay27

This might be more directed at the owner, but here goes.

One thing to look our for is the control stand and box. Don't turn too tight or you can hit them with the truck. We got lucky and only popped the knob off the controls, now it sits in the truck when we tow. And you can hit the stand if you have lumber hanging off the back of the truck. I bent that bracket a few months ago, now the legs travel on the truck.

And if you go "offroading" a lot, you should swap out the hydraulic tank cap with a better one like a Donaldson P565858. The tank will still have a coat of oil, but we've been losing a lot less now. Just never clean the tank with anything like brake clean or the sight glass (plastic) will crack and leak oil.

And just two quick and easy issues, if the autoclutch keeps cycling, the relay got stuck on from moisture, they might supply it with a sealed relay now but we had to chase that problem a bit last winter. And if the buttons on the joysticks ever act up, a little spray silicone fixes that, they just stick slightly after months of use. And they're hall effect switches, not an off-the-shelf fix, but the also last "forever".

Just some issues my brother and I have had fun with >_< Really a great mill, just daunting at first and it still has the occasional bug to iron out.
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

Thank You Sponsors!