iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turpentine

Started by Hemlock1984, August 02, 2016, 10:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemlock1984

Anyone have any experience with tapping Slash Pine for turpentine use? I'm starting a new job and my employer has a contract with a company to allow them to collect pine rosin on their property. I'm familiar with the history of turpentine, but was unaware that it was still being practiced. From what I have been told, they no longer "catface" the trees and instead use pvc pipe and plastic bags. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

Carson-saws

Only "advise" I have is ..stay away from PVC......and the only thing I DO know about Turpentine is...that stuff works good on a lot of differant things.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Hemlock1984

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Why stay away from PVC?

clearcut

Interesting video from the University of Florida on a new method for tapping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxODlW_yayg
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Carson-saws

Hemlock1984.....Like so many other things...PVC plastics are "carcinogenic"  aka: cancer causing materials.   You may notice on many packaging prints it says "non-PVC"  Many "plastic" drinking cups...the dashboard in your vehicle and the list goes on and on.  Personally I figure I have been exposed to many different things that it doesn't matter to much...heck...even some of the veggies you eat..like...radishes..."they say" are the same.   Funny thing ..to me....here we are talking about turpentine (fumes) ...and I am yackin about carcinogens...can't win for loosin I guess.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Hemlock1984

Good stuff! Thanks for the info.

My question is how they are able to compete with the paper mills? I assume they're producing a higher quality product without all the chemicals.

Ox

This interested me.  I just tried searching for prices on this sap or oleoresin.  It was very confusing to me with many numbers all over my little brain.  Could you share about how much someone would pay for the raw sap?  Do they buy it by the gallon or by the pound?
P.S. - I'm not competition, I'm just curious is all!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

coxy

I remember as a little kid my grandma would pour that on a cut WOW would that sting when I would wine  she would say are you a boy or a girl if your a boy act like it  :) :)

rjwoelk

Yup the days when boys were boys. I told my kids after a min or too the same thing.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Corley5

Medicinal turpentine 8)  I was on the receiving end of that from my Grandmother too  ;D 8) ;D 8)  Never got an infection :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!