iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Travel trailer rebuild - Udated: Much of the interior is done

Started by Kingcha, July 30, 2016, 10:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingcha

I haven't posted in a while but have been keeping myself busy.     I started this latest project last year and I thought I had lost my marbles.   

The tear down was not much fun.

Last year all I did was get it down to the frame

This year I rebuilt the decking and floor to hold a little more weight.    I do not plan on taking this down the road.

The fun part has started.    8)

I used some old decking boards for the floor and also Cut some new beams for added support

Framing done here and roofing started, every thing above the deck I cut except the plywood on the roof.

Yes its being built to resemble a Caboose

Wrapped and windows in

Siding started

I got about 1/3 of the siding on and will finish milling the rest of it Tomorrow.     I am Nailing up fairly green as I am only air drying it for about a week.   My location is windy and hot so its drying sum.  The first batch i put up and already shrunk about 3/16" from 7" wide.   A note, I am also only cutting the boards 5/8" thick.    Not sure I will be able to get a coat of stain on it this fall but I plan to stain the boards before putting up the battens.   The battens will be air dried first then thrown in the Solar kiln before staining and installing.   

This year my only plan is to get it weather proofed which it basically is now.   I don't have all the roof flashing done but I hope to start on the finished roof by September.  Right now its just ice and water shield.

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Brad_bb

Very interesting.  Not very aerodynamic, but looks good.  So what is the purpose? A tiny house?  Guest room/cabin?  I'm assuming that you would be able to get a trailer plate to move it if you needed to, albeit somewhat slowly on a calm day.  Are you insulating and what kind of heater?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ljohnsaw

Brad beat me to it.  I was trying to figure out what you plan to use it for.  With the lack of windows on one side, I was thinking a shop.  But with the high/low window on one end, it looks like maybe bunk beds at that end.  What is the overall floor size?  Looking great!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kingcha

The purpose  ????    Its a project to keep me out of trouble, lol.      I like building things and this just looked like a good affordable project.    I could not sell the travel trailer(I am glad because it had more water damage then I had thought)   

I am guessing i could re-plate it but I plan on leaving it right where I am building it.

I hope to use it as a cabin.  I have been interested in the whole Tiny House craze but I am not going that far.    This is on my Outback Property where I already have a kitchen area, gazebo, Wood-fired oven, outhouse and a fire pit.   So at this point I am only thinking sleeping quarters and indoor lounge area.

Yes those db windows is going to be a db. bunk area and that pop up in the center is a sleeping loft.   Decides that I have not planned a whole lot.   I do have in the entry area planned for a area that would house a possible night time porta-poty and coat room etc.

It already has foam insulation between the nailer's and if I finish it out I will probably add more in the walls.

Originally I had thought about a small "old time" wood stove but I doubt I will do that, but who knows at this point.

The build is approx 8 x 22  I believe the interior is 7'10 x 21'8   so we are looking at just under 176 sq feet
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Ianab

Often used as a way to get around building regulations.

It's not "built" it's "parked" so you don't need a permit.  :D

You don't to have it road legal or take it on the road, it just has to be on wheels.

Could be a guest cabin / office / man cave / teenagers sleep-out etc.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tnaz

Very nice.  Looking forward to more pictures as you progress.

Thanks for sharing,

Terry

thecfarm

Looking forward to some inside pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kingcha

The tires are rated for something like 6000#.   I have a rough material list so one of these days I will add it up.    I have added four jack stands to the four stabilizer jacks already on the frame.     If I need to I will add four more to the outside corners.

Here's one pic of the inside

Matt

goose63

I have one i need to rebuild like you. How did you fasten the floor to the frame ?

Mime I will take down the road so Imay need to get biger axel's and tire's
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Kingcha

First I attached a flat 2x4 with bolts to the frame then the rest was screwed into that.  I also used some metal connectors attaching the floor joist and beams.   I did not build mine to go done the road or at least not often.

Matt

justallan1

I really like it and have planned to do the same exact thing.
My reasoning is mainly for taxes and building codes, plus I would be able to move it anywhere I might end up and not have to go house hunting.
I've been told that if you run power and water to something like this to make sure the power is only a plug-in and the water is from a hose that disconnects. Any permanent ties from the building to the property will leave you open to some lengthy discussions with local and state officials.
Great job.

OffGrid973

When the tax man comes around do you have to lower the jacks...lol

What a great idea, I will definitely look up the rules in NJ to see what other "rooms" or "sheds" can fall into this category.

Well done !!!
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Kbeitz

I did the same thing for taxes and building codes...
I used an old camper from the junkyard....
It's a long story... This is a link to the build page...

http://www.mytractorforum.com/88-my-place/216144-building-cabin-cheap-way.html

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Kbeitz on July 31, 2016, 06:52:51 PM
I did the same thing for taxes and building codes...
I used an old camper from the junkyard....
It's a long story... This is a link to the build page...

http://www.mytractorforum.com/88-my-place/216144-building-cabin-cheap-way.html

WOW! Any final pictures since last year?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

samandothers

Really enjoyed y'alls creativity! Great job!

Kingcha

Thanks all, I will do what I have to for the tax man...    :D :D

I got the rest of the boards cut, well at least for the lower portion.   I might be short for the Gable Ends on peak.
I will let them air dry until at least next Friday.   Thinking it will take me a few days to finish off what i have cut depending on motivation, weather.    I know I have at least one more tree to cut down for the rest of the boards and the battens.     I think I have the next 3-4 weeks booked with projects that are marked most be done.  lol

Matt

ppine

Very nicely built, if a little heavy.  Using it as a cabin is a great use for it, rather than trying to haul it around like a trailer.
Forester

Brad_bb

It kind of looks like a caboose.  I'm assuming that is what you were going for?  Fun project.  They do make some really small wood stoves, but a small heater like electric or propane would be nice so that it's a lot more controllable.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Kingcha

Yes it is suppose to resemble a Caboose.     I be glad to have the siding and roofing all done so I can look inward.

Actually I plan on building my own door before for I I just  have not decided the design yet.   But that will be the first thing I do once its all weather in.

My only picture of the end with the door opening.   I'll have to get a better one once the siding is all up.

Matt

Satamax

Quote from: Brad_bb on August 03, 2016, 11:29:19 AM
It kind of looks like a caboose.  I'm assuming that is what you were going for?  Fun project.  They do make some really small wood stoves, but a small heater like electric or propane would be nice so that it's a lot more controllable.

Or a little rocket mass heater.  ;D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

valley ranch

Looking good. What are the dimensions, I mean the foot print? Sure like the shape.

Kingcha

The trailer is 28 feet long but the actual buildings is 8 x 22
Thanks

Matt

Thank You Sponsors!